• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New deuce owner from southern CO...

Ben613

Hi all, My name is Ben. I've been lurking for years....just bought a '64 REO m35a2!!! Pics will follow....Going to need some recovery advice. What would be the best section to post that?

Looking forward to chatting with all the great people here!

Thanks

Ben

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome Ben,
Yes we love pictures of truck, especially old trucks. -and you will get more advice on recovery tactics than is legally required.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice Truck! Welcome from Cincinnati. I like the complete troop seats and hard top you got. No real rust from what I can see in the pictures:). Read up on the brakes make sure she can stop before you start your recovery. Congrats

Ben613

Well, the recovery should go pretty smooth...(hope)...I have a friend with another deuce and tow bar. So IF I can't get this truck prepped for the 2.5hr trip home through the mountains we will bring the other deuce....to tow it back....I think I have all the tools and other misc, diesel oil, gl5, coolant, filters, two deuce spares, slave cable from my friend, dot 5, air compressor, 2 newish batteries......Anything else I have forgotten???

Also, who has recently insured a deuce with a main stream company???? What did it cost?

Thanks in advance!

Ben

Ben613

The cab corners have a little rust....but the paint is the worse I've seen on any vehicle EVER! Looks like 7 coats of Wally World tan interior latex or some crap.....cracking and pealing everywhere.

Ben

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the insurance front there is a sticky and I believe it is the first one under the Deuce forums. It is hard to point you in the direction of a main stream company because it seems there is a lot of variation in who can get coverage and who cant. I believe it probably will make a difference in how you register it being commercial or historic. I would just call a few and get quotes. historic registration will limit your use of the truck.

The paint is easy if your willing to put in a little hard work. Sand it all down just to smooth out the peeling paint and make it even. don't dig in too deep without wearing a good mask because if you start to sand in the Carc That is some nasty stuff and is extremely harmful to you! then go to home depot and buy yourself some Bear outdoor paint and have at it. There are lots of proof on the forum about this. Do some searching.[thumbzup]

Ben613

I ve called pretty much every company out there....then my friend with the other deuce said he uses State Farm...I'm gonna call his agent who is familiar with deuces tomorrow...

Ben

Ben613

On the paint removal....I think most of it will come off with red nozzle on the pressure washer....that plus a wire cup on 6" grinder ;)

Ben

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Ben and congrats on what looks to be a pretty darned nice looking truck! I noticed that your missing the lower section of your radiator guard if you are interested I have on from a truck that I added a winch to and if you want it let me know and its yours, cover shipping for me is all i ask!
Good luck and have fun Ben!

Karl

Ben613

Ok....we're leaving early tomorrow for the recov....first let me thank 101coolcars for all his help!!!! Also, thanks to everyone else that has contributed to the forums and stickies.....PRICELESS!!!!

Ben

(Lots of pics and possibly video coming soon!)

Ben613

I appreciate that Karl...but I plan on putting a winch back on the truck...(PO had no idea where it was) go figure! So I'm guessing I won't need that guard...
Thanks for thinking of me!

Ben

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate that Karl...but I plan on putting a winch back on the truck...(PO had no idea where it was) go figure! So I'm guessing I won't need that guard...
Thanks for thinking of me!

Ben
Congrats Ben, nice looking truck. Looks like your truck has the extensions for a winch, but looks like the winch was removed. Does your truck have a PTO bolted to the transmission, and the control arm?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks