• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New deuce owner. Help me figure out what I've got

arickey

Last week I bought what was supposed to be a 1968 Kaiser m35a2.

What has me scratching my head is that the electrical system is using a 25 amp generator, not a 60 amp alternator.

I've read that some early A2s had generators, but am wondering if any as late as '68 had generators, or whether an M35a2 of that vintage should have an alternator?

What I can tell you about my deuce:

It has the sprag transfer case, no PTOs, whistler turbo, diesel engine (not sure if it's multifuel, how would you tell?) what appears to be an original information plate for multi fuel on the driver's side of the dash, a vertical exhaust, and 5 speed.

The original data plate over the glove box has been replaced with what looks like a modern reproduction of an M35a2 plate. The plate is not engraved with anything like a serial number, or date, so my guess is this was not replaced by the motorpool.

Original speedometer/odometer has also been replaced with a new unit, and shows zero miles.

The only plate I found on the engine wasn't riveted, but was afixed to the passenger side of the block a couple of inches up from the oil pan, and gives remanufacture information on the engine. Std bore, std rod and main bearings, and a date and serial number which I couldn't make out.

Another possible clue is the parking brake handle, which doesn't have the adjustment knob as described in the operators TM for the m35A2.

Is there any way to figure out if this is genuinely an M35A2 vs possibly something like an M109 or m35A1 mutt that's been badged as an m35a2?

thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

clearly off to a bad start with my first post, as I see I'm in the wrong forum. Apologies.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers. The 60 ampere alternator came into being in 1967, so your truck may or may not be titled correctly. Don't worry about having the 25 amp generator, that setup served the military from 1950 well into the 80's.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Post up some pics, we can tell from there.

The older style "whale tail" parking brake made it into many trucks. I had one in my 72. The 25a generator sucks, but there is and adapter kit to swap to a 60a alt, no biggie there.

These are some of the things that makes the trucks so fun, you can pick and choose how you want yours. Do some resear ch before you do anything, some guys have been putting dual alts in, one for 12v and one for 24v. I'd hate to see you do something and then have to re-do it 3 months later.

arickey

Thanks for the welcome messages, links, and information. I've taken some pictures, so maybe we can get a better handle on exactly what I have. The right most plate on the dash listing "Publications Applicable to this Vehicle" lists older revisions of the TMs than the ones linked to on this site. For example, Operators manual is TM 9-2320-209-10 as opposed to TM 9-2320-209-10-1. Not sure if this helps date my deuce or not.

I'm going to need to do some work to be able to read the frame serial number.

I took several pictures, and noted that the hood plate is also missing. I guess at this point, the most useful question to answer is whether I have an LDS-427 or an LDT-465. The few pictures I've found of the LDS-427 look remarkably similar to the LDT-465, at least to the untrained eye. Maybe someone here can spot something tell-tale, or give me an idea what to look for besides measuring compression.

The turbo looks to be a Schwitzer, but not sure it's a "Whistler", because the impeller and compressor housings are bolted together, my understanding is the Whistler turbo has clamp coupling the 2 halves. That, and the generator as opposed to alternator may be enough to indicate that this is an LDS-427, but I'm still hoping for good news on that. :(

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looks like a standard M35a2 to me. Got any better pics of the turbo from the front corner of the truck? No other data plate near the one on the motor?

Post a pic of the water pump and the coolant tube that goes behind the oil filters.

I'm gonna say ldt.

Katahdin

In the pics there is a fuel density compensator, a LDS-427 would not have a fuel density compensator. Your engine data plate may be obstructed by dirty oil and grease. :-D

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site and the hobby. A good truck to work on and bring up to the spec you want. Agreed with the standard deuce comment. Check the layout of your trucks oil sump/s, and the position of the starter motor. (left or right side) Refer to the TMs And there you will have your recognition.

Last edited:

arickey

This has been educational. I was able to clean enough of the paint off the engine plate to see that the engine is an LDT465-1c. The location of the deep sump, dip stick, and starter are consistent with that, but I'm puzzled by the fact that it has a generator and external voltage regulator. According to TM 9-2815-210-34-2-1 this should be an alternator. Would a reasonable interpretation be that the engine was upgraded but the old charging system was left in place?

Barrman

You are probably correct about the truck being older and upgraded.

What does your blinker flasher box on the drivers side inner fender look like? Black box about the size of a cigarette pack with a single 3 pin plug or hug box the size of a TV dinner with 8 wires screwed in?

You have a W/Winch headlight set up but no winch.

I couldn't see which battery and tool box you have to judge pre -'53 on them.

Fire wall shape, trans tunnel cover shape, rear engine mounts and looking for exhaust hangers along the passenger side frame other other things that could lead to narrowing down the rear. Of course, the David Doyle article and the numbers needs to be done too.

arickey

Really appreciate your guidance on what to look for Barrman. After you mentioned exhaust hangers on the frame, I found the following thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/3333-gasser-exaust.html My truck does have the hangers shown as parts 14, and 24 on the diagram. Did they add these hangers in '68?

RE: the flasher is a 3 wire solid state, but not the right one. See the pic. I also added pictures of the battery box, and tool box.

I haven't received the title yet (they have 30 days), but am waiting for a call back from the auction on where they found the VIN when they did the VIN verification, since it's not in the data plate over the glove box, and not visible on the frame. Were new serial numbers ever assigned to older trucks that were upgraded? This thing was titled and licensed in FL, and the auction has a dealer's license, so gave me paperwork for CO that confirms the VIN, but I'm concerned that it might be mis-titled, which might be a problem if I ever try to sell it.

Attachments

Barrman

That is a very early version of the blinker box. I have never personally seen one like that. The front of your tool box and battery box is where the difference is.

Here is a thread listing out a few of the differences between old and newer trucks:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...y-Cab-is-even-a-Gasser-Cab&highlight=tool+box

Here is a thread with pictures of the different tool box and battery box fronts:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?17188-More-Early-Body-Differences&highlight=tool+box

arickey

From a word doc in one of the threads:

[First, read this entire article. It will answer 80% of the questions you will have. What answers cannot be found here can be found using the search feature on Steel Soldiers. Understand that 99% of the questions concerning the deuce have been answered. Learning to use the search feature on the site will let you easily find all the things you’ll need help with.]

:oops:

Well, I've learned a lot in a week, and appreciate all of the links and pointers, and I appreciate not getting any demerits for asking my new-guy questions.

As far as the latest clues on my deuce, it has the later model squared tool and battery box ends, the old style front cross member, and a recessed firewall.

It appears, from most of what I'm seeing, that my truck is likely an early 1960s, but it's titled as a '68.

On the issue of the title. Would anyone be concerned about the title VIN number on a military truck not matching the frame serial number? The VIN on the title is a registration, or "hood number" ie 4Wxxxx, but the hood plate (outside in front of the passenger windshield), and the dash data plate are both missing. There is a serial number on the frame, but the registration number, which is what the title uses for a VIN, is not on the vehicle anywhere, and the title and other paperwork doesn't mention the frame serial number at all.

I have the last owner's bill of sale, a bill of lading from the shipper who brought it to Colorado for the last owner, bill of sale and vin verification from the auction last week, all of which reference the registration number. The auction claims to have verified the VIN, but they can't tell me where on the vehicle they found a VIN that matches the paperwork.

Maybe this is all a topic for a new thread, but hopefully, I'll get some feedback here. This being my first surplus vehicle, I'm not sure what "normal" is, but if this was a collectors car, I'd be running from it under the same circumstances, so I'd appreciate if anyone cared to share thoughts on this.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks