• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Deuce Owner TODAY! Clutch problem?

8days

I purchased 2 Deuces today from Gov Liquidation in Barstow (35 Miles from home) and drove one all the way home. The other had to be towed. My gracious father inlaw drove the one that seemed to have a weak clutch. Pedal was light and appeared to be mis-adjusted. It would not disengage until it was almost all the way out. After a long steep hill he lost his ability to maintain 50 mph. We pulled over and did a quick check. I found some graphite material coming out of the bell housing drain hole and a small amount of what appears to be 90 weight oil. After trying to drive on the truck would go into gear but acted as if the clutch was engaged. After an hour of cooling off, it would move as if someone was riding the clutch only in low range. I believe the clutch is smoked! My question is, do you believe the cause to be a bad clutch to start with - possibly mis-adjusted; We had driven approximately 15-20 miles at this point. Another consideration I had was the transmission built up pressure causing the front seal to fail leaking a small amount of gear oil onto the clutch causing slippage and heat and...... Saturday will be the first chance I get to look over our acquistions and I plan on checking the fliud level on the transmission to see if it went down from the initial level. How hard/ie....(heavy) is this aircraft carriers transmission to pull and replace the clutch? What TM and would walk me through this procedure?

I apologize for the long ramble. Pretty excited about these things. Don't know the year yet, will post pictures this weekend. They both are turbo'd!

Also, the master cylinder on the same unit was bone dry... It had brakes. I added fluid and checked for leaks ie.(lines, wheel cylinders) but nothing. Could the air assist somehow blow the fluid out past the vent line? OR???

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Project, you need to complete your signature with location as per the rules. Once you get that completed we'll get you some answers! If you need assistance, just ask.

8days

I completed the information in my profile; but, my location does not appear on my postings. I am new to this, so please forgive the fopaw. How do I enable the location to appear in the signature box?

rdixiemiller

Sounds like the clutch is smoked. If you ran it a ways with it slipping badly, the flywheel will probably need resurfacing. Figure on a disk and pressure plate at the least.
Changing the clutch on a deuce looks fairly easy compared to the old Ford and IHC dumpers I used to work on. The military uses a neat little hoist that sits on the deuce floor and picks the tranny up. I think Kenny (recovry4x4) has one. See if he will send you a picture of it.
Come to think of it, I want a picture too!
If you need the manuals for the deuce, send me your snail mail addy. I have compiled all the manuals I could find for the deuce onto a CD. Most came from the govt. website, but others have been sent to me from list members, or downloaded from other sites.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Project Central, thanks for taking the time to figure out the signature, it helps the masses I assure you. Now, as far as the clutch, it's no doubt fried. The graphite and apparent 90 weight are a good indication that something is wrong. Chances are better that the oil is motor oil thickened up with clutch dust. Smell it if you can. Not saying it's not gear oil but more likely to be motor oil. The damage is probably from unnecessary clutch action or this was the training vehicle for 17 year old who only drive automatics. Either way a replacement is in order. Pulling the transmissions is really quite easy. They aren't that heavy but just heavy enought that you don't lift them by hand (at least not install them by hand.) Try TM 9-2320-361-20 for the procedure but I'll walk you through it right quick. First thing is to remove the spare tire. This makes getting under there a whole lot easier. Also remove the transmission pan from the interior. Lots of work can be accomplished from here. It's all pretty straight forward work as far as removing the little jack shaft, clutch linkage ground strap and bellhousing bolts. One bolt and the shifter comes right off. Here's where the tricks come it. I don't fool with a jack from underneath. Unlike a car, the tranny is completely supported by the bellhousing so there are no crossmenbers to remove. My first ever tranny job I used an engine crane through the passenger door. Made sure I had a long enough chain and drop on the crane and lifted the weight up. Undid the row of bolts along the bellhousing plate and pried the tranny back then lowered it onto a low furniture dolly and rolled it out. I've used a quality creeper to roll them out too but your cheap creepers won't work. Installation is done the same way. Since then I've learned that a comealong suspended from a 4x4 works too. Run the 4x4 from an open windshield to the back ledge of the cab. I would rather do one of these than a regular pickup truck for sure. Rdixiemiller was right about having the military tranny hoist. I was supposed to take pics of it months ago and didn't. This device sits right on the truck floor and uses a worm gear winch to raise and lower the tranny. Its neat because the winch drum slides on bearings on the square shaft making it a piece of cake to slide the trans back and forth.

Robert, I failed to tell you that the TM for the hoist is on Logsa. The number is [6]TM 9-4910-587-14&P[/6]

Here are a few pics of the device (finally)

[6][/6]

[6][/6]

rdixiemiller

I will get the TM into the deuce CD. Any of you that have found applicable TM's that should be on the deuce or 5 ton CD's, please let me know. I have found the starter, inj. pump, tranny, and transfer case. Engine as well. I probably need to hunt down the generator TM. I would like to know the TM # for the hot water heater, hard top installation, and gas engine. Some of the really old ones are not on LOGSA, so I will have to look elsewhere for them. Any help will be appreciated. Anyone who can send me an e-copy of one of the manuals not on LOGSA will get a copy of the CD for their time.
If I can figure out how to post an excel spreadsheet as an attachment, everyone will ba able to see the manuals that I currently have on CD.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM9-8000 is very big but is a great reference to all things mechanical. Principles of Automotive Vehicles. TB 43-0002-87 deals with switching to silicone brake fluid. TB 43-0209 has the camo patterns for NATO camo. TM 43-0001-31 has equipment data sheets and is a great reference for all MVs. TM 10-7200-200-13 is the TM for jerry cans (lol). Do you have all 4 multifuel manuals? Here are the 3 manuals on Logsa dealing with the transmissions on deuces. TM 9-2520-246-34, TM 9-2520-246-34-1, TM 9-2520-246-34P.
I also have the manuals dealing with the M35A3 if anybody needs them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yeah, I forget the TM but its called Manual for the Wheeled Driver. I'll go look for it!

8days

Recovry4x4 & rdixiemiller

Thank you for the assistance. I appreciate the pics and heads up on the procedure for trans removal. I am not sure of the substance with the graphite. Very well could be motor oil. The bellhousing was HOT!!! and I was thinking it could have been residue heated up and drained out. Makes me feel better someone else thinks so too. Any suggestions on where to buy the clutch?

Got my father-in-law headed over to help me remove a section of fence. I need to take said project into project central area (BACK YARD) so my neighbors don't start wondering if Sandford and Son retired at my house. :) I will take some pictures today and hopefully figure out how to post them on here so you can see the rough condition these things are in. The price was right and I figure better to buy a fixer upper and learn on these than a turn key beauty. Besides I believe I will get my money out of these right quick. I am looking to score some more. Very Good WIFE!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No worries ProjectCentral. Our sponsor, Saturn Surplus usually has everything you need. Also might try Antelope Valley since you're on the left coast. http://www.avettruck.com/
Also consider taking your stuff to a clutch & driveline shop and have it rebuilt.

Kaiserjeeps

I had to do my clutch on my 69 kaiser. I found that there are two types of pressure plates. Make sure you put the same back in. I went through the pass door with a engine crane. Putting it back I used an engine leveler but found that it was wanting to hit the dash when the trans was seated back in place all the way. Cardboard between the two worked fine.
Mine started slipping from general wear and the introduction of lots of engine oil after long road trips. I still need to address the rear main leak.

ajg6989

well the way we did it in korea was open up both the rear and front cab windows then pass a tankers bar through them and put a come along on it and attach a chain to the corner bolts on the tranny top plate then when everything is disconnected simply drop it to the ground

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks