• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Deuce trans?

cbvet

I've talked to a guy who claims to have a new trans for a multifuel Deuce for sale.
I need to go look it over & get a price.
As always, I have questions for those wiser than me.
1 What's the chance I'll ever need it. Mine is fine at the time.
2. He says CHEAP. What would be a good price to pay?
3. What should I be looking for as far as markings, tags, etc to prove it's for a Deuce?
Thanks guys,
Eric
CBVET

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should be a Spicer 3053 or 3053A (5th o.d.), look at the tag.
It could be either new or rebuilt. Even if it looks new from the outside there could be rust from condensation inside, or even worse have been sitting for years with plenty of water inside! Make sure it turns freely and shifts into all gears. Take a 9/16 with you and open the top. If new (or rebuilt) it should look nice and shiny inside and the big 1st/reverse gear should not have any chipped teeth.
If OK and cheap ($200 or less), buy it! You never know...!

G.

cbvet

Thanks Gringel,
On the phone he says "It was new when I got it, but it's been sitting outside for a few years".
And he said $200. I'll have to look it over real closely.
Eric
CBVET

jwaller

sitting outside means its prob had a lot of water in it. the shift lever will leak down into the case if water is allowed to sit on there. defiantly open the cover before you buy it.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
a new trans is probably only worth what a GOOD rebuild is worth, so $1000 to $1500 would be ok if you really need it. $200 is a steal, but you still have to need it. everyone says new, it means almost nothing unless you are smart enough to look at it and know yourself. as a used car wholesaler once told me 'everyone lies'. do not even consider buying it without opening the top and looking for rust and chipped teeth.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hmmm this is surplus and the values of the transmission where they don't fit anything else out in the market vary depending on who is selling it only. I have two that I picked over time. One is believe a rebuild in the box for $35, and the other is a good pulled with a PTO for $50. I would consider $200 high in my opinion, but price goes up depending on how fast you need things along with what is available in your area. The rebuilds you are paying for a mechanics time and materials to do the job. Much like the Idaho truck talked about this week you pay not for the value of the vehicle, but the turnkey condition. Being outside depends on how it was stored. Most of these came from the government in boxes, and I often see them stored that way too which should protect them from most of the weather.

spicergear

I've already seen them rebuilt with very vague tag information on them that didn't even specify trans # or manufacturer, just rebuilt where and when.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
well, i found one trans for a very attractive fee......... and am still looking for some others to convert to .71 od when my gears are made, which i hope will still be this year. if someone near maryland has a spare trans they are willing to part with let me know.

cbvet

I looked at the trans for sale. He says it was new when he got it several years ago. It's been sitting outside partially covered. Input shaft is pretty rusty.
The hole where the PTO is open, but that part was covered. What I could see through the hole looked new.
I asked if I could take the top cover off & check it out inside. He said "No. I told you it's new. I don't want you taking it apart".
I didn't buy it, but am thinking about it. $200.
What do you guys think?
Eric
CBVET

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
If he thinks taking the shift top off is "taking it apart" - then he probably doesn't know "new" from "new to me"

If your tranny ain't broke, I'd pass......

DD