• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Deuce

pileofparts

Hey guys, thumbs up for an awesome site! For the last few years I have checked out the site and done some reading on it every now and then but havent done to much searching for the simple fact that I did not own a military vehicle. Well.....I am now purchasing a 1972 M35A1. I have obviously spent A BUNCH more time on the site lately to learn what I could about them. The one I am picking up was driven to the spot it's at right now and once parked it has went untouched for the last year or so. It was somebodys project but they have other priorities right now and can't get to it. The current owner has another M35 that is VERY clean, it has been converted to a single rear and looks great. In the process of building the other truck he robbed a few parts off of the Deuce that I'm buying so I will have to do some immediate work just to make it run. I MUST buy a radiator, alternator, and batteries. I wanted some advise on locating these parts, I believe I am going to get a reman (cleaned and tested) radiator from LNJ, they seem to be the most economical without buying a non-guaranteed used one. As far as an alternator there is one person advertising them in the classifieds on this site for a decent rate so I will probably go that route. My main question (unless you see a problem with my choices thus far) is the batteries. I have owned and currently own a few diesels so I know all about the hard starting and the insane amount of power they take to turn them over but....I have never owned a truck with a 24V system. Are there particular batteries that you would recommend I get for this truck? I have an account through Nappa so anything that they carry is a plus for me, lol. Thanks in advance for your help and I am sure I will be a long time member. I will post picks (yes I know this thread is usless without them) as soon as I have some!
Mike :D

westfolk

I use plain jane, 'el cheapo Walmart batteries. $34.99 a piece. Buy two, put them in. I use a set of 2x4s to make them sit right in the box. Never had the "correct" batteries in any of my trucks. I get 4-5 years out of the cheap ones. Never had any problems. Now people will yell about that useage. I used my trucks to make money not for show. If I showed them I'd used the "correct" ones just because.

pileofparts

Cool, thanks a bunch. I have some monsters that I usually run in my 6.2 that (iirc) are about 1300 ca and like 980 cca, so it sounds like they should do the trick just fine. Now I have the stupid newbie question of the day, I am very mechanically inclined and have built numerous vehicles from various stages....but....again this is the first 24Volt truck I have owned. Whats the proper set up in linking these two batteries together to make 24 volts? Thanks again for the wondefull advise.
Mike

westfolk

Neg to ground on first battery, pos on first to neg on second, pos on second to starter, etc. I like to hook everything up and hook the cross cable from the first pos onto the second neg LAST. Just the way I do it. Those batteries should work. The ones I use are only I think 650-750 cca.

pileofparts

Thanks again, youve been a huge help. Thats the way I thought but you can never be to safe. Hopefully with a radiator, alternator, batteries and some fresh go juice she'll fire up and I can get her home. I am sure the brakes will need adjusting, air tanks drained, etc. but I only live like 3 miles away so if I can get her limped home I will be extremely happy. The tires are full and everything so I will probably be ok. Thanks again for the help and re-assurance. Mike

littlebob

I would make sure you use identical batteries once you get it home. I was able to limp mine the few miless home with two diifferent size, but have seen threads on this site that would advise against it on a long time basis it and they make sense.
If you have one battery more powerful than another one one ypu will probably have problems. I purchsed two 6Tl blems
when I had the cash. I hope they are still ready to go when I get ready to put in on the road. I've put a charge on them a few times tring to prevent them from going south.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
If the overall goal is restoration, then purchase to 6TL or equivalent batteries. If the objective is to have a "user" - then a pair of matched truck batteries will do.

Regards,
David

pileofparts

Thanks for all the help guys. I do already know about the "two of the same" battery thing. I have had a few vehicles with dual batteries and the only way to do it right is to have two identical ones. As far as the use of the truck it's going to be a "user" so......I will probably just get the biggest ones I can find that fit within reason. I plan on using it quite a bit and well I do plan on cleaning it up and painting it, it's deffinetly not going to be a full resto. Thanks again guys. Great advise!