• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new diesel smog laws in california

jdmcgowen

I hope oregon doesn't come up with this law. They seem to follow Ca. on everything else. My problem is my 66 Jeep M35 is titled as 76 am general. I'd rather get it titled as 66, but don't know if it's worth the hasle.

I am confused, does this new law mean that it is impossible to register a diesel MV (M35, M54, etc.) in CA, unless it qualifies for an exception as "historical" or "motorhome"? Does it also mean that such vehicles that were previously registered are no longer legal to operate? I am assuming that the vehicle is being registered as personal, not commercial.

Also, do I need a "class B" license in CA to drive a deuce? Will a "non-commercial class B" suffice?

Why to care for that, we drive vintage vehicles!
As long as they do not kik them out of traffic... On Parades they like to see the old stuff!!! In Japan vehicles with gas engine and without catalist are not allowed to drive any more on public roads (off roads nobody cares).
The only problem is when the vehicles were built later than 1975. There the EPA restrictions started, first on Gas engines, later on Diesel engines.
So stuck to the old stuff or check for conformacy to the requirements. The labels should be in the car / truck like with the CUCV - series vehicles. Anyway, the related sticker is on the left B-Pilar or on the left door, if it is somewhat close to commercial vehicles. The CUCV series has this enviremental sticker on the front cross menber above the radiator and on the air filter housing for further information. The sticker on the cross menber obove the radiator simply says, theat the truck is exemted from the requirementsa, but fullfills the requirement of the year of manufacure.
Wolf

Last edited:

det45

Quote from the regulation:

"Model year 1998 and newer diesel=powered vehicles under 14,00 lbs GVWR to be included in the Smog Check Program"

In other words, no, the m35 is pre 1998 and over 14,000 GVWR.

Here is a link to a FAQ on the new diesel inspection law: http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/05_Legislative/RegulatoryActions/FAQs%20for%20Diesels%201-8-09_GC.pdf

Here is a link to a copy of the regulation: http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/05_Legislative/RegulatoryActions/dieselcoms-1108.pdf

A Class B non-Commercial license allows you to operate "any vehicle under Class C", "any housecar over 40' but no more than 45', with endorsement". This info comes from the 2005 California Commercial Drivers Handbook. A M35 does not fall under a Class C nor is it a "housecar", so you will need a Class B Commercial or Class A Commercial.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No maybe about it. It's been proven to have come from CA. A person in a neighboring state might get upset over being polluted by another. Kind of like dealing with treaspassers, personally don't care for them. I earned my right to have prejudices in the US Army.
I'd REALLY like to see "proof" that the measurable smog getting to CT came all the way California and not any other big city (Houston, St. Louis, Chicago) between here and there! California has the cleanest cars in America by government coersion, so good luck with that...

I know this is an old thread but it is currently relevant.

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd REALLY like to see "proof" that the measurable smog getting to CT came all the way California and not any other big city (Houston, St. Louis, Chicago) between here and there! California has the cleanest cars in America by government coersion, so good luck with that...

I know this is an old thread.
The pics are of the Grand Canyon and pertain to this thread, smog/smog laws in California. If you have time to dig up old threads you have time to read up on the problem.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem this thread addresses is the new laws concerning diesel engines in California, not supposed smog migration which supposedly directly and measurably affects people 2,680 miles away in CT.

I read the original post.

If California polluted so much, then so many people in the other states wouldn't bitch about our insane anti-pollution laws. They'd be happy about them. The smoke your deuce produces pisses off the Portugese, by your logic.

And no, I don't have time to waste on other, impertinent threads.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
California Air Resources Board (CARB)
Section 2025. Regulation to Reduce Emissions of Diesel Particulate Matter,
Oxides of Nitrogen and Other Criteria Pollutants, from In-Use
Heavy-Duty Diesel-Fueled Vehicles.
(a) Purpose
The purpose of this regulation is to reduce emissions of diesel particulate matter (PM),
oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and other criteria pollutants from in-use diesel-fueled vehicles.
(b) Scope and Applicability
Except as provided in subsection (c), this regulation applies to any person, business,
federal government agency, school district or school transportation provider that owns
or operates, leases, or rents, affected vehicles that operate in California. The regulation
also applies to persons that sell affected vehicles in California. Affected vehicles are
those that operate on diesel-fuel, dual-fuel, or alternative diesel-fuel that are registered
to be driven on public highways, were originally designed to be driven on public
highways whether or not they are registered, yard trucks with on-road engines or yard
trucks with off-road engines used for agricultural operations, both engines of two-engine
sweepers, schoolbuses, and have a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)
greater than 14,000 pounds (lbs).
(c) Exemptions
(5) Military tactical support vehicles, as described in title 13, CCR, section 1905; Ҥ 1905. Exclusion and Exemption of Military Tactical Vehicles and Equipment.
(a) For purposes of this chapter, military tactical vehicle means a motor vehicle owned by the U.S. Department of Defense and/or the U.S. military services and used in combat, combat support, combat service support, tactical or relief operations, or training for such operations. “ (This appears to apply only to trucks currently owned and operated by U.S. military organizations);
(6) “Alternative Diesel Fuel” means any fuel used in diesel engines that is not a
reformulated diesel fuel as defined in sections 2281 and 2282 of title 13, CCR, and
does not require engine or fuel system modifications for the engine to operate,
other than minor modifications (e.g., recalibration of the engine fuel control) that
may enhance performance. Examples of alternative diesel fuels include, but are
not limited to, biodiesel, Fischer-Tropsch fuels, and emulsions of water in diesel
fuel. Natural gas is not an alternative diesel fuel. An emission control strategy
using a fuel additive will be treated as an alternative diesel fuel based strategy
unless:
(A) the additive is supplied to the engine fuel by an on-board dosing mechanism;
or
(B) the additive is directly mixed into the base fuel inside the fuel tank of the
engine; or
(C) the additive and base fuel are not mixed until engine fueling commences,
and no more additive plus base fuel combination is mixed than required for a
single fueling of a single engine or vehicle.
(7) “Alternative Fuel” means natural gas, propane, ethanol, methanol, hydrogen,
electricity, fuel cells, or advanced technologies that do not rely on diesel fuel.
“Alternative fuel” also means any of these fuels used in combination with each
other or in combination with other non-diesel fuels.
(c) “Alternative-Fueled Engine” means an engine that is exclusively fueled with a fuel
meeting the definition of alternative fuel.
(9) Historic vehicles as defined in section 2025(d)(36);
(11) “Commercial Vehicle” means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles as
defined in California Veh. Code, section 260. “260. (a) A "commercial vehicle" is a motor vehicle of a typerequired to be registered under this code used or maintained for the
transportation of persons for hire, compensation, or profit or
designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of
property.
(b) Passenger vehicles and house cars that are not used for the
transportation of persons for hire, compensation, or profit are not
commercial vehicles. This subdivision shall not apply to Chapter 4
(commencing with Section 6700) of Division 3.
(c) Any vanpool vehicle is not a commercial vehicle.
(d) The definition of a commercial vehicle in this section does
not apply to Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 15200) of Division 6.”

California Vehicle Code (CVC) Section 471 defines "pickup truck" (bolding added):
471. A "pickup truck" is a motor truck with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, and which is equipped with an open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length. "Pickup truck" does not include a motor vehicle otherwise meeting the above definition, that is equipped with a bed-mounted storage compartment unit commonly called a "utility body."

(12) Trucks with a GVWR of 19,500 lbs or less with a pick-up bed used exclusively for
personal, non-commercial, or non-governmental use

California Air Resources Board:
2. TRUCKS AND BUSES (private and federal fleets)
Diesel trucks and buses with a GVWR more than 14,000 lbs. that are owned by private or federal government fleets must reduce exhaust emissions by meeting particulate matter (PM) filter requirements and upgrading to 2010 model year (MY) or newer engines. In addition, any person residing in California who sells an affected vehicle must provide a disclosure notice about the regulation to the buyer.

What qualifies for the low-use vehicle exemption?
A low-use vehicle is one that is operated a total of less than 5,000 miles per year. If the vehicle is
designed to power other equipment that can only be used while stationary, like a crane or a concrete
pump, the engine or power take off must also be operated a total of less than 200 hours per year to
qualify. Vehicles that operate more than 5000 miles per year, but will operate less than 1,000 miles per
year within California’s borders also qualify for the low-use exemption.

California DMV Smog Exemption:
•Diesel powered 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs

The above is the information I could gather over a two-hour period. I wanted to know because this subject affects me directly, as well.

My deuce is registered “historic” and is therefore exempt.

If you can get your truck certified with a GVWR of less than 19,500 pounds and not “commercial”, then supposedly it will be exempt from the new engine / particulate filter requirements.

If you can prove that the engine is designed to run on an “alternative fuel” or “alternative diesel fuel” as defined above, then supposedly it is exempt from the new requirements.

If you drive the truck less than 1,000 miles in California and a total of less than 5,000 miles annually, then the truck is exempt. Reporting to CARB of mileage is required.

If you can get the truck’s GVWR under 14,000 pounds and it is older than 1997, supposedly you do not have to get it smogged.

I'm not an attorney, my conclusions may not be correct. If an attorney or CARB official
would like to comment, PLEASE DO.

Last edited:

Blendmaster2002

Ok there are two issues for California Diesels.

Smog testing for diesels (pickups etc.) only applies to 1998 and newer under 14,000lbs GVWR.

And the CARB Diesel Law (Medium and heavy duty trucks, Deuces 5 tons etc.)

The New California C.A.R.B Diesel law does not take effect until Jan 2015 at which case Commercial Registered Diesel powered over 14,000lbs manufactures GVWR any year older than 2010, require the truck or engine be replaced with a 2010 or newer top tier engine with all related emission equipment, there is only 3 real exemptions/Registration options for our trucks over 14,000lbs GVWR.

1 is Historic registration, 2 is RV House Car Motor Home registration not used for commercial purposes and 3 is low mile use exemption. When you read the law you will see a military vehicle exemption, it does not apply to us only Govt owned vehicles and yes this law applies to deuces the Multifuel is not exempt CARB told me still primarily a diesel due to compression ignition will not receive the alternative diesel fuel exemption and no these are not pickup bed trucks they are considered stake/ cargo trucks by CARB. I talked (argued) with CARB in 2010 for the above information, looking for exemptions for commercial use.
Yes the 1000 mile exemption is an option if you can keep your mileage below that and according to member quikfarms, CARB is working to raise the low mileage exemption to 5,000 miles per year.

You may want to read this thread, it has more info on this subject:
California Title Registration Diesel Smog Law and GL loadout info for M35 Deuce 5 Ton:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...out-info-for-M35-Deuce-5-Ton&referrerid=19939

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks