• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New early deuce owners in Oklahoma *Lucy*

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it came from an airforce base, would it have been that battleship gray color i have seen on some? I would rather go back with a green of some sort but i would definetly consider the gray if that was factory
No GMC M135's left the factory in any color other than olive drab shade FS 24087. Back in the day, the Defense Department would make surplus tactical vehicles available to agencies such as the fire department under the Civil Defense program. There were offices at bases all over the US where vehicles and equipment were issued to applicants for these items. The recipients were required to put the Civil Defense decal on the item, which yours still displays. I would fix the busted winch because most of the time they need to be rebuilt anyway.

USMC 00-08

well i would like to go back military original but im not really sure what she was in her military days. i also already have one dumptruck an 1972 c50 short wheelbase so i really dont need another. i will definetly be leaving winch on front. the winch case in the bumper now is busted on driver side but i have a spare that came with the truck. What would you do?

Since you already have a dump truck and don't need another one, I would try to go back original military on this one. Once you confirm the frame says M135, M211 or M220, that will let you know what way to go. The old pictures you posted show that it had an M135 cargo bed on it at one time. I'm in the middle of putting a couple of M135s together and when that is done, I will have some parts available that I will need to let go. I should have two spare cargo beds at that point.

From what I can see in your pictures, your truck has a lot of potential and should be able to be painted with a little prep. I'm adding hardtops to my M135s as well. I matched an OD color that was on an old military gas can and am using the Behr paint that a lot of guys on here use. Here is a thread on the Behr paint.

Here are some pictures of the color I matched and the hardtop going on. The first picture is of my two attempts to match the color. The color on the left is nearly identical to what I was going for. The fourth picture is of the original paint on the window frame and my new paint. They are very close.

100_2118.JPG20171014_121126.jpg20170820_110704.jpg20181028_151051.jpg100_2586.JPG

It looks like we will need to find you a front bumper and rear bumperettes. My truck was missing them on the rear as well.

0815161822.jpg0911161348.jpg

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That paint is the perfect shade. If "Lucy" ends up with one of your beds I would be interested in the other for a M34 project.

USMC 00-08

Ok. I'll get in touch with you as soon as I am ready to start parting with cargo beds. You might be on the lookout for a tailgate. I am one short.

lucydeuce

No GMC M135's left the factory in any color other than olive drab shade FS 24087. Back in the day, the Defense Department would make surplus tactical vehicles available to agencies such as the fire department under the Civil Defense program. There were offices at bases all over the US where vehicles and equipment were issued to applicants for these items. The recipients were required to put the Civil Defense decal on the item, which yours still displays. I would fix the busted winch because most of the time they need to be rebuilt anyway.
thank you for the info. i was hoping olive green was the better option. are there still places with winch parts still available for these ?

lucydeuce

Since you already have a dump truck and don't need another one, I would try to go back original military on this one. Once you confirm the frame says M135, M211 or M220, that will let you know what way to go. The old pictures you posted show that it had an M135 cargo bed on it at one time. I'm in the middle of putting a couple of M135s together and when that is done, I will have some parts available that I will need to let go. I should have two spare cargo beds at that point.

From what I can see in your pictures, your truck has a lot of potential and should be able to be painted with a little prep. I'm adding hardtops to my M135s as well. I matched an OD color that was on an old military gas can and am using the Behr paint that a lot of guys on here use. Here is a thread on the Behr paint.

Here are some pictures of the color I matched and the hardtop going on. The first picture is of my two attempts to match the color. The color on the left is nearly identical to what I was going for. The fourth picture is of the original paint on the window frame and my new paint. They are very close.

View attachment 807550View attachment 807545View attachment 807548View attachment 807549View attachment 807547

It looks like we will need to find you a front bumper and rear bumperettes. My truck was missing them on the rear as well.

View attachment 807560View attachment 807561
sweet yes i would be very interested in a cargo bed and i am in no hurry. that behr paint looks great i will be needing to get some for sure. yes poor bumper has seen better days. i am also interested in a pintle for mine as well. that is a good lookin rig youve got there how long have you had that one ? also i believe you have a youtube channel i am subscribed to there was a running truck on there is that the same truck or another?

USMC 00-08

This is the running and driving truck you probably saw on Youtube. I've had it since June 2014 and hope to have it mostly finished by the end of this year.

When you get a chance, let us know what numbers are stamped on the frame behind the passenger side front wheel. Then we'll know for sure what you have.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thank you for the info. i was hoping olive green was the better option. are there still places with winch parts still available for these ?
Yes, since the winch is the same as M35A2 deuce, every single part is available from numerous sources. And, lots of folks are looking for these winches to equip M35A2 trucks with a winch that is not equipped with one.

placerman

Hey Oklahoma! I'm looking at escaping a liberal state for a free state! Is anyone having problems registering an M35A2 in Oklahoma? Does Oklahoma have special plates like "Military Vehicle" or "Historic Vehicle"?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks