• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New engine time

rronning84

With the loss of my current engine due to an injector sticking open and melting down the piston, my truck is in the process of getting a new engine. I had it picked up Friday before I left Anchorage and while I am gone it will receive a new power plant.

Attachments

Triple C

I didn't know an injector failure would melt a piston. I drove a Freightliner for years and had three or four injector failures (on an N14 motor.) I just limped to a Cummins facility and had it replaced each time. Glad I didn't know it could do that. I assume you were blowing lots of black smoke as your indication. How long did you drive it that way and what fuel were you using? Is this a multifuel? Anybody know if the 250 will do that? Great looking rig by the way.

rronning84

I didn't know at first what was wrong. Just that it was smoking and running crappy. I pulled the valve cover and found a bent push rod. Thinking that was the problem I replaced the pushrod and as soon as I started the truck the new one bent. I knew at this point the piston was hitting the valve so I pulled the head. What I found inside was a piston melted in the sleeve with a hole almost through it. There was a lot of piston material stuck to the head as well. I could easily enough rebuild this engine but because of supply and demand in Alaska a new rebuilt engine is cheaper then a rebuild kit. Also the new engine is supposed to be a 5 ton multi-fuel

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks