• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Engine

So I need a new engine for my 92. I can buy a 6.5 take out for about 2k and a new complete GEP drop in for about 5k. I’m not going to be towing or long trips and will mostly putt around in it and maybe some dry trail driving. Are the take out engines worth it? Any experiences from this. The new one is a complete drop in with a mechanical IP so it will go right in. US Engines is the new engine supplier and Eastren is the take supplier.
thanks

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can get a turbo engine for less than 5K.

I suggest you shop around. Visit a few site sponsors. You might save a few $$$

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure any take out engine you buy is also a GEP. GEPs came on the scene around yr 2000 and the GMs were prior to that. The GEPs had stronger castings.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I would expect there is not enough room on that bicycle. Besides, I think Pee Wee wants it back.

Nice Work!

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I need a new engine for my 92. I can buy a 6.5 take out for about 2k and a new complete GEP drop in for about 5k. I’m not going to be towing or long trips and will mostly putt around in it and maybe some dry trail driving. Are the take out engines worth it? Any experiences from this. The new one is a complete drop in with a mechanical IP so it will go right in. US Engines is the new engine supplier and Eastren is the take supplier.
thanks
Sounds like there is an interesting story here that you're depriving us of...

But I'm replying mostly in case a good previously unknown lead is turned up. I need/want to repower later this year. The ANG really beat up my truck before I rescued her.

Bulldogger

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks
Find a late model GEP 6.5 optimizer, go with the full serpintine setup, I’ve done numerous and they run great.

Well. No story. I bought it with a bad motor and when I tried to free it up I added some water to the reservoir. And when I did it immediately came out of the oil drain plug. Definitely a hole in the water jacket.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I were you I would disassemble your busted engine and rebuild what you have. Even if you need a block. The take outs can be iffy.

Crapgame

If you shop around you can get 6.2l NA for under $1000 from somebody upgrading to a 6.5l NA or GEP-T; a 6.5l NA for about $2000 and even a 6.5l GEP-T for about $3000, all plus freight. Look up Rod Rodriquez on Facebook in the HMMWV groups, he gets engines from time to time and is good to work with, a Vet and a Patriot.

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done two swaps of my own now, you can get them for well under $3k. I bought 5 turbo drivetrains for $750 each last year and a 6.5 drivetrain for $500. There's several for sale in Alabama.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s why I’m really leaning towards the new Navistar 6.5 from US Engines. 5k and put on my ancillaries and it’s ready to go. I did rebuild a ford 460 for a project. But I sold the Torino and still have the prepared engine. Wish it fit.
All I can say is good luck with US Engines....my shop does about 3-4 motor conversions or replacements a month, many years ago we stopped using them, absolutely the worst at every level in the organization.
multiple motors sent to my shop using used Head bolts, mismatched used head bolts, used everything!
Motors were said to have been test run, pulled valve covers and not even a film of oil in the engine, no a dab of assembly
lubricant on a anything. One motor we actually used, leaked a quart of oil in less than 30 seconds of running due to plugs not being tightened and no sealants. I won’t even get into how long it took to get my customers money back, as well as them wanting to charge the customer for the return!
again..good luck!

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All I can say is good luck with US Engines....my shop does about 3-4 motor conversions or replacements a month, many years ago we stopped using them, absolutely the worst at every level in the organization.
multiple motors sent to my shop using used Head bolts, mismatched used head bolts, used everything!
Motors were said to have been test run, pulled valve covers and not even a film of oil in the engine, no a dab of assembly
lubricant on a anything. One motor we actually used, leaked a quart of oil in less than 30 seconds of running due to plugs not being tightened and no sealants. I won’t even get into how long it took to get my customers money back, as well as them wanting to charge the customer for the return!
again..good luck!
Their customer service is terrible. Ordered some harnesses from them, waited 2 months and they said they no longer had them, but were sitting on over $1k of my money, even though they said they had plenty in stock when I bought them originally.

RichDane

I have had to replace my old 6.5 Diesel (with numerous slapping fan belts which added to to the noise generated by this motor), due to Antifreeze getting into my oil. Instead of ripping this apart in the cramped space of my M998 engine bay, I chose to pull and replace with a newer upgraded A2 NA, serpentine belt 6.5 motor, basically a slightly used motor from Uncle Sam. This did not come without its problems....the injection pump was shot on this "new" motor but unfortunately, I did not know this until the A2 motor was installed...off with the intake manifold....with that fix made, I cranked her up...ran like a brick in my wife's dryer.......after replacing the injectors ( THAT DIDN'T FIX THE PROBLEM) the only thing left to check was underneath the valve covers....passenger side was the first (easiest side to check) no issue...the drivers side.....the plastic bushing was broken which held the rocker in place...the rocker worked off the valve and the pushrod was stuck in the block ..... ran stainless steel bolts wih nylon lock nuts through all the pushpins and put it all back together...has run like a bear for the last 2000 miles so far...10 times quieter along with the 4L80 I added and it drives like a dream...new motor with an A2 wiring harness, an upgraded 200 amp alternator (with 12 volt spliter), The 4L80 was the biggest and best upgrade I made.....less noise, lower RPM, I can actually have a conversation now while driving down the road at a comfortable 55 MPH...Drives down the beach in Hatteras NC like a Ferrari on the interstate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks