• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New england-Maine Rally/convoy/get together.

colyork

Lets have some ideas.
a trip to coles land tranportation museum
Go to an event at Owlshead,They have events that mv's can go to I think.

patch

Hmm, that might work out....and the M37 definitely qualifies as an antique. Coles would be good too,and they'd welcome military trucks. I wonder if they have any special events planned for example, Memorial Day or June 6... have to check my calendar!

Towerguy1

maine rally

I had mentioned hosting a get together in the Bangor area. It would work well with Coles. I could check on events with them as they are close by. We could plan other activitys as well. Now would be a good time to start planning so its not a last minute thing.

colyork

RE: maine rally

OHTM Special Events 2007

Date Event

February 10 Vintage & Antique Snowmobile Festival

Winter fun for all ages. Exhibitors, dealers and activities both indoor and out.
May 27 Kids’ Wheels, Vintage Cars & Antique Aeroplane Show

Old cars and kids’ wheels kick off the new season. Pre-1987 vehicles welcome. Children’s parade for bikes, scooters, etc.
June 10 Rods, Mods & Tuners & Antique Aeroplane Show

See 250 hot rods & custom vehicles plus a variety of 60s & 70s muscle cars. Featured exhibitors: vintage race cars
June 23 Maine Coast BikeFest & Antique Aeroplane Show

A meet for motorcycles of any year, make and model
June 28 Transportation & Technology Auction

Auto memorabilia, collectibles, ephemera and more.

July 7-8 Fabulous ’50s, ’60s & ’70s, & Antique Aeroplane Show

Featuring more than 400 classic autos from the industry’s most stylish decades.

July 21-22 Trucks, Tractors, Engines & Antique Aeroplane Show

Big, bigger and biggest—more than 250 antique pick-ups, delivery vans, tractor trailers and more. Special engine exhibits.

July 28-29 New England All-Corvette Meet & Aerobatics Show

Corvettes of all years plus a world-class, high-performance aerobatic and antique aeroplane show.
August 18 30th Annual New England Auto Auction

Up to 200 antique, classic and special interest vehicles go up for bid. Preview August 17.
August 26 Vintage Motorcycle Meet & Antique Aeroplane Show

More than 200 antique and classic motorcycles on display with hundreds more modern bikes as part of the festivities.

September 9 Pickup Truck Meet & Antique Aeroplane Show

Celebrate our most ubiquitous, though often overlooked, vehicle.
September 23 Earth Movers & Shakers & Antique Aeroplane Show

An earth moving gathering of large construction vehicles.

October 7 Foreign Auto Festival & Antique Aeroplane Show

A salute to globalization with vintage vehicles from around the world. Celebrate Volvo’s 75th anniversary.

October 28 The Great Fall Auction

Features hundreds of donated items and gift certificates. A fun day of bargains.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About The Events
Each year the Museum holds a series of Special Events featuring a Antique Aeroplane Show, a rally of antique motor vehicles relating to the theme of the event, live music, Engine Room Demonstrations, restoration talks, rare vehicle demonstrations, free Model-T rides for the family, films, and more. Several events feature visiting Antique & Classic Aircraft, and the Transportation Spectacular, features an Aerobatic Airshow. The Museum’s Exhibitions and Collection are also on display at events.

Due to saftey considerations, no pets please.

Members receive free admission to all events. Membership levels include Individual ($35), Family ($50) and Grandparent ($50). Learn more about Membership.

The Museum is located on Route 73 in Owls Head, Maine, just three miles from Rockland, on Penobscot Bay in the heart of Maine’s spectacular Midcoast Region. There is plenty of free parking and, on peak event days, a free bus shuttle service. Picnic lunches are welcome, and hotdogs, crab rolls, snacks, and drinks are available at the Squeaky Wheel.

Events start at 9:30 a.m. and end at 5 p.m., rain or shine. The Museum’s WW I Aircraft are flown throughout the day, weather permitting. Exhibitor gates open at 8 a.m. No Pets Please.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antique Aeroplane Shows
The Museum owns, and flies, one of the finest collections of WW I-era Aeroplanes in the world. Significant aircraft include a 1923 Fokker C.IV (the only operable C.IV in the world), a Curtiss Jenny (1917), a R.A.F. FE-8 (1916), the freshly restored Standard J-1 (1918), and a Sopwith Pup (1916). A highlight of many events is a thrilling performance by the Red Baron in his Fokker DR.I Tri-plane.

Aerobatic Airshows
The Museum will hold one Aerobatic Airshow in 2006, the 32nd Anniversary Transportation & Aerobatic Spectacular. Recent performers include such world-famous acts as Drew Hurley's mind-blowing routine in his YAK-55, Reese Dill in his T-6, Jim Parker “cutting the ribbon” in his Yak-55 and performing graceful aerobatics in his Salto Glider, Dan McCue in his supersonic Czech L-39 and the Star Spangled Flyers’ sky-diving routine. Click Here for a short video (1.4MB) of past performances (QuickTime Player® required - Click Here to download free QuickTime Player®)

Classic & WW II Aircraft
The Museum invites owners of classic aircraft from the World War II era to fly in and exhibit at certain events. Recent classic aircraft include several B-17 Flying Fortresses, B-24 and B-25 Bombers, a DC-3 and its military cousin the C-47 “Skytrain”, a C-130 “Hercules” Transport, a Lockheed Electra, a Beechcraft C-45, an Antonov AN2 (the largest single-engine biplane in the world), Piper Cubs, Staggerwings, Harvard and T-6 WW II fighter trainers, Huey Medevac Helicopters, and a Czech L-39 “Albatross”. For more information please contact the Museum's Aircraft Conservator, Karl Erickson.

The Autos (trucks, tractors, commercial vehicles, motorcycles, bicycles, engines and more)
The Museum invites owners of appropriate antique vehicles to exhibit at events, resulting in spectacular, temporary displays. Owners of any antique vehicle, pre-1986 for our purposes, are invited to exhibit their vehicles and attend the event free of charge. Exhibitors will be directed to the Exhibition Area on arrival.

The Music
Some shows feature live music in the shade of our open-air pavilion, with bands matched to the theme of the event. Some popular repeat performers are the old time sounds of Old Gray Goose, the High Ryders Golden Oldie Show and others. Check individual event pages for further details.

The New England Auto Auction
No airshow. No music. Just 200+ classic dream vehicles heading to the auction block in the Annual New England Auction of Antique, Classic & Special Interest Autos, celebrating its 29th year as one of the great summer events in New England. Whether to buy the car of your dreams, or simply to see others’ dreams come true, you don’t want to miss this fantastic consignment auction.

Engines
Engines, the heart of the technology driving the Transportation Museum. Events feature twice-daily demonstrations of many of the Museum’s engines, from the 100-ton Corliss Steam Engine to the landmark 1895 Otto Gasoline Engine. Owners of antique engines, including members of the Maine Antique Power Association, display and demonstrate their engines at several of the Museum’s events, including The Transportation Spectacular and Trucks, Tractors & Commercial Vehicles.

Free Model-T Rides
An American icon, the Model T Ford is the most important automobile ever manufactured. It redefined American transportation and the American workplace. Take yourself and the family for a ride up the Museum’s carriage lane or around the event grounds in one of our classic Model T Fords.

Museum Exhibitions and Collections
The Museum’s Exhibitions and Collections are on display at events. Current Exhibitions include Trucks - Moving the Goods in Maine, A Century Ago - Transportation During the Wright Era and The Evolution of the Wheel. More information on current exhibitions.

Return to Top | Return to Home

patch

Towerguy- I checked on the Coles website last night and didn't see a schedule of events listed so I took the liberty of sending a quick email, to inquire if they've planned anything special that would be a good fit with the mil trucks. I can let you know when I get a reply, and if you'd like to follow up with them that's fine by me. Just thought I'd jump in and get the ball rolling....You done anything with the pipeline deuce yet? JK

colyork

Hello Jayson:

We would certainly love to welcome your group to the Owls Head Transportation Museum to any of our events. Below are the events and dates we have scheduled for 2007. Please let me know when you confirm which event you would like to attend (any event except the Auctions). I would suggest the Trucks & Tractors event on July 21-22 would be good, since we often have many commercial vehicles and some military vehicles that attend this show. It also falls within your July timeframe.

Thank you!

Cathy Hardy

Director of Development & Community Relations

(207)594-4418

Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 3:20 PM
To: Cathy Hardy
Subject: FW: 07 summer events
Importance: High

Towerguy1

gettogether

Now that I think about it, Coles is closed for the season. Well have to catch them in the spring. Owls head is a fun place as well. I guess we could actually get to both for us locals. But I wouldnt mind attaching a meet of sorts maybe even in conjunction with a museam event and maybe attract some of the gang from out of state too.

As for the pipeliner, it currently rests in the snow for warmer weather....

loslobos11

I wont have time to paint my truck by then, it will be there in its camo/rust scheme... :lol: going to try and dual stack it by then :twisted:

loslobos11

I would like to convoy in, heres the deal though...I took the 20th, 21st and 22nd off from work, my buddies having his bachelor party friday night. We are taking a stretch navigator to the old port and spending the night. I just found this out the other day, I dont know how early we will get back from the old port, but after that Owls head is like 30 min for me. I would like to go both days, so what day is good for ya? I know a guy like 10 min down the road with a deuce and he will prob go, who else is going?? PM me if you want my cell number to plan things more concrete.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks