• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New England rough idea of transport costs

netman86

Hello to anyone either in the area, or have had equipment moved around the area.... or especially anyone with heavy haul equipment working in the area!

I'm trying to get my hands on a 6x6- preferably cummins/automatic dump bed... but finances aren't unlimited so I'll use what I can get. Currently looking at two trucks in the 100-200 mile range, but their prices vs condition play a huge role for me.
I'm a little uneasy giving my exact location out on the internet, but I'd be perfectly happy to re-quote with anyone working in the area.
I guess the easiest way to ask for this would be... can I get two estimates?

from 05401 to 04270
One quote being a truck that runs,
another quote being a truck that doesn't.

I figure the time frame will be "within a few weeks of contract" rather than anything hard set- as long as there's a few days notice involved.
I can be pretty flexible, I have to assume the seller can too... but that's what re-quotes are for!
Mostly looking for a rough idea on transport costs so I can financially decide between paying the usable vs broken truck prices, as well as distance to search in.

Edit:
After reading my post, I have some edits to add...

I'm looking only at the 5-ton series trucks.

I'm trying to look only at the cummins engine trucks, specifically the 8.1L TC ones... similar could happen? Trying to stick with easy to find/fix equipment.

Trying to stick to automatics- manual could happen, but the application is 100% offroad and I think automatic is ideal

Dump preferred, but wrecker would also work nicely- cargo seems to be the easiest to find, and would be suitable

the super singles look more suitable to my use case, but the 10-wheel 9xx series appear to be far more common up here. Either/or, although I doubt it matters much.

These trucks as far as I can tell appear to be just over 8' wide, 10' tall, and 30' long, in the 22,000lbs range.

Unloading would be at a "job site"- not flat, not paved... but there is a 12' wide dirt road for the first 200' or so. It keeps going, but isn't nearly flat after that. One piece of heavy equipment is available to assist with unloading if needed- 14,000lb backhoe/loader w/ chains and whatnot...

If I'm missing important details, feel free to ask! I'm just looking for a rough idea rather than a quote- +/- 25% would be very helpful as I'm new to this sort of thing.

Last edited:

603hellmutt

JR Martin out of PA for longer moves, and locally i use Eastbound Transport out of Pepperel, MA. Lucky for you O'Hallorans towing out of Ellsworth goes back that way empty frequently and might be worth a call. I deal in fire apparatus and those are the 3 companies that i use frequently. (seacoast NH)

fasttruck

You can expect to pay more if the vehicle does not run. I used to charge the customers $100.00 extra to install caging pins and use the winch on my Landoll to recover their prizes. Got tired of laying in the mud to put those pins in for free.

netman86

You can expect to pay more if the vehicle does not run. I used to charge the customers $100.00 extra to install caging pins and use the winch on my Landoll to recover their prizes. Got tired of laying in the mud to put those pins in for free.
You only charged an extra 100 bucks for a non running vs running truck?
I would think the extra work would cost more than that...

netman86

JR Martin out of PA for longer moves, and locally i use Eastbound Transport out of Pepperel, MA. Lucky for you O'Hallorans towing out of Ellsworth goes back that way empty frequently and might be worth a call. I deal in fire apparatus and those are the 3 companies that i use frequently. (seacoast NH)
Wow, thank you!
I don't suppose you've got any rough numbers you can throw at the wall, eh? I put in for an estimate to O'Hallorans this morning, but my experience is places like that don't really respond to anything other than a phone call.
I should really get a phone that works from home...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks