• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New fellow with M1031, some questions

DZL_Damon

Hi fellahs,

New to the CUCV scene, not so new to diesels. Finally got some time to play around and get her going today, this is what I went through.

Used the tractor to yank her off the trailer. x2 brand new 65 series batteries in. No juice getting to the starter via the pink wire, so I'm assuming starter relay is bad. I cut the wire and just jump the solenoid right to 24v. No click, but it arched when pulling the wire off, so solenoid is stuck. My buddy tapped on the solenoid and starter with a wood drift while I clicked on and off with the pink wire and we freed up the solenoid, but no juice to the starter motor.

Off comes the starter! We pull it all apart. Commutator, brushes, and rotor are all in great shape. Lube everything up, take apart the solenoid and shine up all the plunger connections, etc. Bench test it and she turns now.

Back in the truck, truck turns over. We rigged up a juice bottle full of red diesel and took suction off the suction of the lift pump. After lots of turning with the bleed on the fuel filter closed, or open, not a whisper out the engine. A little spray of ether (with glow plugs disconnected, and yes I know the consequences of ether) and it would barely make a crackle, but still no fire.

Question: Are the lift pumps famous for going bad? No fuel got sucked out of the juice bottle we set up, and no red fuel was in the filter when I took it off.

Batteries are recharging tonight, and I"m gonna get some better ether tonight. THis stuff wasn't atomizing, it almost came out in a straight stream.

Looking forward to getting the old girl going! Here she is getting yanked home:

Attachments

Last edited:

DZL_Damon

Yup, I'm a Cummins fanatic. If this 6.2L proves to be junk, a 6bt will be going in. The M1031 is rust free, so it's worth the effort.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

It sounds as if your lift pump is bad.
I did the exact same test that you did with the same results.

This test proved that my newly installed lift pump was defective out of the box.

Installed a second new lift pump and had good fuel flow to the filter. After a little cranking, there was lots of fuel coming out the bleeder on the filter. Reconnected the wire on the IP and after a few seconds of cranking she ran.

After further testing, I found out the IP was bad and had to replace it as well.
Karl

dependable

Did your truck come from Limestone? I got mine from that lot, and one of them probably had not been cranked in a couple of years, serious sitting disease. Switches were sticky, the alts did not charge right away. Went over truck systematically, got it running and it seemed to fix itself. It was hanging out with my CUCVs and could not see my Dodges.

DZL_Damon

Yeah, it's a Limestone rig. I went up and inspected all 20+ CUCVs. It was a very odd 90+*F that day. I was taking VERY detailed notes for the first 10 trucks or so, but the last 10 or so had lots of abbreviations and less detailed inspections. We were dying out on that tarmac! I obviously did NOT look over this truck good enough during the inspections.

If I had the cash at the time, I would have had one of those tan ones. They were in terrific shape! Of course I inspected those first and spent time looking at them!

steved454

had not been cranked in a couple of years, serious sitting disease.

When I got mine it had set for a long time. Lift pump replaced, It cranked right up. after a couple of days setting it would have to turnover more times than I thought it should to crank. Checked IP and noticed fuel leaking out of it. Replaced it and now it cranks without hesitation.

replaced.

IP
Lift pump.
new fuel filter
belts
oil & filter.
Doghead relay mod!!! took 20 mins is great Insurance.

DZL_Damon

I just found 2 running 6.2L around my house for $200 each, so I s'pose if I spend some money on the engine, I can always swap another engine in and have spare parts. So I guess I'll get everything I need for it today. I was stuck on a 6bt swap, but I guess I can keep the 6.2L since they are so ridiculously cheap!

I'll do all filters and fluids today, belts, and lift pump I guess. Then I'll get some wheel spacers and the humvee rims/tires go on for an off road club support vehicle!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks