• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NEW FL. MK48s

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Anybody get any of the MK48s out of FL. this go-a- round, if so you need to KNOW that there is NO put to gether bolts, REPEAT NO BOLTS ( WE are sourcing shipping bolts now), these units came in as seperate units, some of the trailers still had the quick disconnects bagged.

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody get any of the MK48s out of FL. this go-a- round, if so you need to KNOW that there is NO put to gether bolts, REPEAT NO BOLTS ( WE are sourcing shipping bolts now), these units came in as seperate units, some of the trailers still had the quick disconnects bagged.
I picked one up today. Thanks for the info on the missing bolts. If you can put me on your list for bolts I would greatly appreciate it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
We will be on the ground this coming Tuesday and Wednesday to continue loading out trucks from the previous sale.

Unless we have a commitment from a buyer we will not be assembling any trucks that sold today.

That is contingent on GL and Honeywell continuing to allow us to work in their AO.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
These trucks are NOT even next to the trailer, a row of FPUs and row of RPUs (trailers), so ALL need to be put together which means finding the A unit then finding the B unit then doing the MATING dance.

WM and I just got back from facilitating the load out of a bunch of the first batch, going back to do more, if you are interested in bolts, ect. talk to WM. We put these together ENOUGH to ship, it is up to the buyer to finish the process, ie. add and torque bolts, electrics, ect.
Some of the other members that we did this for will tell you the shipping condition of the trucks shipped.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These trucks are NOT even next to the trailer, a row of FPUs and row of RPUs (trailers), so ALL need to be put together which means finding the A unit then finding the B unit then doing the MATING dance.

When you get a chance, can you guys tell us who know nothing about these trucks exactly what is involved with attempting to line up the holes perfectly. Seems like it might be very difficult, and I would imagine you cannot drive the bolts in with a BFH.

Bighurt

When you get a chance, can you guys tell us who know nothing about these trucks exactly what is involved with attempting to line up the holes perfectly. Seems like it might be very difficult, and I would imagine you cannot drive the bolts in with a BFH.
The Mk48 has a big trapezoidal bar that inserts into the RBU. I imagine most of the alignment is taken up by that. After that if it needs any more adjustment a big spud wrench would be pretty helpful.

I can't imagine it's any harder than loading an AGM-86/B on the shoulder of a SUU-67/A Pylon.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Once you get the two sections lined up you just back into the trailer....there are line up pins that get the two plates mated (bear in mind you cannot see if they are lining up from in the cab)......you then put the short bolts in (they thread into the back plate).

Once the short bolts are snugged up you put in the long bolts and tighten them.

We did all this the first few time with two cresent wrenches....we had to go buy a socket and combination wrench so we could tighten them better.

Once you get the two sections joined you have to connect the air lines (there is a trick to that) and power cords (cannon plugs).

This is all being done while out in the hot sun while laying in a (usually) wet gravel lot.

You get no assistance from anyone......if you need something you have to go off post to get it.

As Ron memtioned, there may be an issue securing the correct bolts for these vehicles.

Once the EUC's start clearing on this bunch we will consider doing load assistance if we have enough clients to make a trip (3 min).

blhar15

I was lucky enough to be the winning bidder on two of these MK48's on the recent auction from August 3rd. I am going to need assistance getting these back to Iowa.

Thank you

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
One more thing to REMENBER, just because in the GL. description SAYS STARTS and RUNS, DOES NOT mean you walk up to the unit, twitch your nose, it starts. WHAT GL. means is that you go down the row, try each unit until you find one that starts, then take the RUNNING unit TO the unit that you need to start, slave off, then move the slaving unit out of the way. If for some reason you have to shut down your unit, you then have to do the slave dance all over again.

GREAT to see the truck drivers face, when they find out that NOT ONLY was the truck in two pieces and that he was going to have find them and put it together, BUT the FPU was a NO START.

As WN said there is NO ON BASE HELP

I love a plan when it comes together, in the mean time there is a LOT of fun when it don't.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I was lucky enough to be the winning bidder on two of these MK48's on the recent auction from August 3rd. I am going to need assistance getting these back to Iowa.

Thank you
CONTRACT WM, He is the POC for this OPERATION

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Keep this in mind (if you've read it before bear with me).

DO NOT send a regular flat bed to pick up these units.

A stepdeck or RGN is what is needed.

Also these last units were sold with the heavy trailers......gross weight is 45,000 or better.

Your shipper may have to buy overweight permits which will increase your shipping cost.

GL is working with us since we helped get the first batch with a minimum wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth. If they know you are using our services they will work with you on the 10 day removal time. It is to their advantage to ship a bunch at one time.

Just before we left there was one truck that would not start with the slave cables....just click, click, click.....I suspect either a dead cell in one of the batteries or a bad solinoid or starter. I'll be taking a set of hot batteries that we can transplant to get the truck started and then remove once it's loaded.

It was not a client truck but we tried to help Luis (the GL guy) out since Honeywell was trying to close the gate on us. To the best of my Knowlege it's still there.

We will make every effort to start client vehicles but at some point it may be necessary to get a wrecker in there to load one. The contrator will not allow us to do too much wrenching on the loading lot.

Ron is a crane operator and rigger...in his opinon that a wrecker is the best way to load a deadlined one and I concur. Without the engine running there is no hydrolics which means no steering.

We have a list of local heavy wrecker companies that have been to the base before. This is a secure base and you have to inform the gate guards when you have inbound trucks. I'll be meeting them at the gate and leading them to the loading area. It will be the clients responsibility to make arrangements with the wrecker company and pay them.

Since EUC's have to clear the first load out of the lot that ended the 3rd of August will prob be the last week of August or the first week of Sept.

paradeduty

Thanks Wreckerman,

You guys have been really great at spelling out to the rest of us the logistics necessary to pull off one or more of these recoveries with success (or at least minimizing the agravation). Great Job on the organizing and researching.

Dave

Nonotagain

I see the Honeywell folks haven't changed since my last visits two years back.

One Honeywell guy was great to deal with, while the other pointed to the line on the pick-up form as-is where is and walked away.

Watch out for the Honeywell mandatory meetings. The three diffsernt people that I've dealt with all went from happy go lucks to wanting to bite heads off puppies after the meeting.

Donuts go a long way with them.

Are they still driving the bumble bee looking vehicles?

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We will be on the ground this coming Tuesday and Wednesday to continue loading out trucks from the previous sale.

Unless we have a commitment from a buyer we will not be assembling any trucks that sold today.

That is contingent on GL and Honeywell continuing to allow us to work in their AO.
I am curious what is the ballpark cost of Recovering one of these trucks, including the shipping cost to Dallas, TX area? (assuming another lot becomes available in the future)

(assuming you would still be interested in doing this after experiencing the fun first hand. :) )