• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NEW FL. MK48s

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I am curious what is the ballpark cost of Recovering one of these trucks, including the shipping cost to Dallas, TX area? (assuming another lot becomes available in the future)

(assuming you would still be interested in doing this after experiencing the fun first hand.
You can PM me for our rates.

We are contract labor to get vehicles assembled and loaded only.

Shipping has a lot of varibles and you have to find your own shipper.

Andy1234 set up the shipping for three trucks through Landstar (Stanley Crawford 757-859-6575 )

He was a good guy to work with and I reccomend them.

We will be loading Aug 7-8 and will skip two weeks and then assemble/load vehicles from the Aug 3 sale. EUC's should be clearing by then.

None of the SS members we have worked for thought our rates were outragous considering the conditions we are dealing with and working with two gooberment contractors (GL and Honeywell).

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The conditions at Blount Island at this time of the year are taxing. The troops coming out of the desert are well conditioned to handle the heat but us old curmudgeons are just barely able to stay verticle in the heat and sunlight of the day. I wouldn't subject myself to the conditions at Blount.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The temp while we were there was actually cooler than in Alabama but the humidity was killer.

If the breeze is blowing and you can find some shade you can cool down, otherwise you roast.

By 9 am on the first day I was soaking wet with sweat and was glad to get back to FOB Holiday Inn to cool off when we got done.

Since there is no place to get drinks or snacks we have to carry everything with us.....the first day we went from 8am till 2pm with no chow and very little to drink. Next time we'll have a cooler full of drinks and high protein snacks to get us through the days.

Every mission has it's learning curve.

Last edited:

Nonotagain

Wreckerman,

Unless they are watching you like a hawk, there are drinks and snacks available at the Honeywell building.

My first time on Blount, I took a wrong turn and ended up exiting via a US Customs check point.

The first Customs officer I enclountered spoke NO English. He couldn't understand the GL paperwork and had to get a female sargent to clear me to exit with my trailers.

I never took a wrong turn after that time allowing the GPS to create way points for in and out.

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
hey Guys,
Just hauled a MK48/18A1 from NC, and it is HEAVY! The trailer is very heavy! We Grossed out at 79,000lbs with 1/2 tank of fuel. The unit weighs over 47,000lbs! This is the heavest load we have hauled to date. We are getting 5 mpg on level ground. When we hit the mountains, we are expecting to get 3 mpg!..We used 12 chains to tie it down!..Lucky we dont need over weight permits, which saved out customer $$. for his long haul. Remember, a RGN will require over weight Permits in every state it goes through.
The only trucks that can haul this would be 53' all alumium spread axel step deck, or a 48' alumium and steel spread axel step deck like ours.
Are trailer drops to 28" to help load or off-load with ramps. These are very tricky to load backwards!
Make sure you tell the brokers what you have, or you will have some very pissed off truckers when they see what they are going to load.
These are nothing like the MK48/14's..
Kevin..

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hey Guys,
Just hauled a MK48/18A1 from NC, and it is HEAVY! The trailer is very heavy! We Grossed out at 79,000lbs with 1/2 tank of fuel. The unit weighs over 47,000lbs! This is the heavest load we have hauled to date. We are getting 5 mpg on level ground. When we hit the mountains, we are expecting to get 3 mpg!..We used 12 chains to tie it down!..Lucky we dont need over weight permits, which saved out customer $$. for his long haul. Remember, a RGN will require over weight Permits in every state it goes through.
The only trucks that can haul this would be 53' all alumium spread axel step deck, or a 48' alumium and steel spread axel step deck like ours.
Are trailer drops to 28" to help load or off-load with ramps. These are very tricky to load backwards!
Make sure you tell the brokers what you have, or you will have some very pissed off truckers when they see what they are going to load.
These are nothing like the MK48/14's..
Kevin..
You won't need permits for a light load ( by michigan standards ) like that with a RGN here in Michigan.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks