• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new foam in cab

bond024

I painted the cab of my deuce today and I want to replace the foam on the cab shell. Has anyone done this? Do you have pictures of this? Or what other options do I have?

spentshell

I replaced mine with a GI roll out sleeping mat, just scrape off the old junk and wire wheel the remaining glue. Get yourself some good contact cement and glue the new stuff in. I left the mat rolled out for a couple of days before I put it in, if you use a heat gun on the back side of the foam right before you put it up it sticks reeeeaal good. I did it when my top was apart so im sure it will be a lot easier off the truck. Good luck and dont blow yourself up with the glue its potent stuff.

Bill W

I also used sleeping bag foam mat pad on my first deuce hard top and plan on using the same on my current deuce.

Attachments

spentshell

It was about the same thickness and seemed a little denser than the old stuff, I dont have any pics but it did look a heck of a lot nicer than the sun faded dry rotted stuff that was crumbling off the top. You need at least 3 sleeping mats to do the 2 parts of the top. Pick yourself some nice NOS mats , I ended up buying about 6 of them on ebay before I ended up with ones in good conditon, Probably would have been better off at a local army navy store.

rtl434

I have plenty of mats in very good condition if anyone needs any. PM me. I have also used the above method with great results.

ccequipment

I just go to the fabric store and buy foam rubber. I will get 1" for some extra sound deading, but you can get it thinner for the roof and such. Use a good quality spray glue. I will then just spray paint the foam what ever color you want, and it looks pretty good.

Attachments