• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Forum Idea

JeepMan

Taking this idea from the G503 (WWII Jeep) site.

"Original Condition" or "As Found" or "Unrestored"

Be a great forum to post pics of those "Barn Finds"

(We could exclude GL buys as thats already covered in other forums).

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I would suggest a "History" forum that covers unit emblems, camouflage patterns, bumper numbers, markings, and obviously the VIN Info. The VIN thread is one of the fastest growing ones out there. Since mid-May it has had over 9300 hits and almot 300 replies. I've compared it to several of the others and it is surpassing most on average hits per day.

My 2 cents.

CCATLETT1984

I think a seperate forum for the vin info wouldnt be a bad idea, either that or make you a mod so you can remove posts after they are answered.

I for one, wouldnt want the vin of my truck sitting in the open on the internet.

Funny, yesterday I wrote a pm to Steelsoldier asking what he feels about a historical "VIN Registry" on SS. I proposed a table-like structure which has the VIN along with some other information (vehicle configuration, location, date of drmo(if known), thumbnail-picture). One row per vehicle should suffice.

I'm not sure what negative effect there could be about showing a VIN in an open database. I can't come up with one.

CCATLETT1984

Someone wanting to title there deuce could grab a serial off of the list, and stamp their dataplate with it. Its a long shot, but for that one person it does happen to you will then spend a long time and lots of money fighting to prove that your truck is the real one. Leaving a few digits off of the number would be better, although i wouldnt publish mine even with those precautions. I will happily share my info with people on the site i know and trust, but i will not trust the "internet" with it. We already have basically this idea (minus the VIN info) in the form of the "motor pool"

papercu

It would still have to match the number on the frame, wouldn't it? I don't see it as a big deal. And while it is a different type of VIN, most used cars dealers on the net have the VIN showing so you can run a CARFAX on it. Wayne

CCATLETT1984

The problem with your comparison to a civilian VIN, is that auto manufacturer's create the first title before the vehicle is sold, whereas the military does not (in some places the SF97 is not accepted as a title.) Also you will have a hard time taking a VIN from a 1996 neon and using it on a 1998 dodge ram (even though they are the same manufacturer), the serials on a m35 for example arent "descriptive" of the truck (ie. you cant differenciate two trucks solely by the serial)

papercu

Well I was not showing a comparison I was just showing that VIN need not be secret. M35 does not have VIN as the civilian world would know it. The serial number of each truck (M35) is stamped on the frame and is unique to each truck so it would be the only way to tell them apart. (As I understand it.) BTY SF97 is not suppose to be a title it is just a Government Certificate to Obtain a Title.

ssgtwright-usmc

How about a section for each type of vehicle and that section would list the most common mechancal problems with common fixes. Have The section broken down as if it was comming from the TMs. Engine, transmission, brakes, electrical and ect....
Guess this section would be more like a trouble shooting section with common fixes.
Also within this section have a list of hard to find parts and where to go to get such hard to find parts.
This is my 2 cents.
I see alot of people having the same problems just by looking at past posts and replies.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
CAT, hate to tell ya but this info is already available and can be gotten with very little trouble, both from GL, DRMO, and a very large list by doing nothing more than sending a letter to the government. The frame vin is the ultimate deciding factor.

As for having a line per vehicle to describe it: that would be quite extensive. We are talking hundreds of thousands of vehicles of post WWII vehicles. The govt may give you the information electronically, not sure, but there would be certain codes (not secret type codes) that would need deciphered. I think it is in the too hard to do catagory and would occupy a boat load of terra-bites of info.