• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Forum Member, new GL user, new MEP 002a owner

bmwsyc

Hello, new member here. I have watched GL for sometime, but made my first "purchase" this week. I've been browsing through all sorts of forums and postings...now I'm paranoid. I'm fine with waiting for the EUC to come back, but should I be worried about lot "switching" or something happening to the generator? The generator is about a 12 hour drive away, and I was thinking of using a freight company to deliver it, should I pick up in person? I'm not opposed to making a little adventure out of picking up the generator, but the cost would be just about a wash (not counting time off from work), and it would be less work to have someone else deal with the delivery.

I paid about $1300.00, but the set looks mint...the hour meter appears to match the set. 4 hours.

Pinz25086

Welcome to Steel Soldiers. I understand your concerns but do not dwell on it. Most times there is not a problem, although it does happen. Print out your pictures and bring them with you to document what you bought in case there is a problem. I have never had anyone pick up my stuff from GL. That way if there was an issue, I know that I did everything that I could to get it straightened out. Most of the GL people I have delt with have been very nice and my issues have been very minor and corrected before I have left. You got to have faith! Good luck with gen set!

Wayne

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard.

While the lot switching stories we hear about do happen, I think that they don't happen as mich as you would think...kinda like the news, the sensational stories get all the press. But, keep in mind that if you do have someone pick it up for you and it has been switched, once it's off the lot and signed for, you'll have no recourse with GL to get your lot back or your money. At least if you are there to pick it up and it doesn't match the pictures, you can refuse it and file a claim.

coyotegray

Pick it up yourself.

I have attempted to have something picked two times. Both turned into complete clusters. Nature of the beast dealing with GL...

Andy..

Isaac-1

Welcome to our (sometimes, often,...) happy little group

It does look like a nice MEP-002a

As to your pick up concerns, I would certainly strongly consider picking it. I have been lucky out of the dozen or so items I have bought from GL ranging from 30 pound to about 5,000 pound items about 3/4 of the pick ups have went smoothly. Some of the less than smooth pick ups invovled:

2 loading problems, on the first the forklift operator dropped the trailer mounted diesel powered air compressor I was buying onto my trailer (it upended and almost flipped over on me ( I jumped back, it hung there for a second before falling back down onto its wheel right side up), thankfully it was not damaged, but it was oh so close.

The second loading issue I was involved with involved a 4,500 pound piece of equipment, I spent almost 2 hours on site on a cold morning while the GL people tried to get one of their 5 diesel fork lifts to work. They managed to get one going, but it barely lift the load. We ended up having to back the trailer under it with only an inch or two of clearance (it seems GL gets hand me down fork lifts and little in the way of fork lift training)

Other than those loading issues, I had one incident where I went to pick up 2 identical lots out of 3 that were sold, and one was missing. It was a simple mix up where they confused who was supposed to get the 1 of 3 and who was getting the 2 of 3, GL was able to retrieve the missing lot as it was picked up one of their regular logistics companies, but it did take a week, and I had to make a second trip to pick up (thankfully it was the local GL site about 15 miles away)

I have never had much problem with parts missing (one cover panel on a generator that was shown in the auction photo, but not there at pick up) I think this is a bigger problem at some sites than others, particularly the less supervised ones.

Ike

EnteJager

Welcome and be warned, your first purchase will not be your last.
I started out with a CUCV, and if you buy a CUCV you will want a trailer to go with it.
Then I bought a 2.5 ton, and if you buy a 2.5 ton you will want a trailer to go with it.
Then I bought a MEP-003, and if you buy one of those you will want a MEP-002a to go with it.
You get the picture............................good luck.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome from the Don of the AL MV Mafia.

You are now headed down the slippery slope of MV addiction on well greased ball bearing rollerskates. :cookoo:

There is no cure......we tried to start a support group but nobody wants to quit.rofl

WARWAG

Im one of those guys that had some lots switched on me. My First EUC took about 3 months! When I arrived at the base they had 9 trailers left. I had won 9 trailers. 4 were the originals I had bid on. The other 5 were in very sad shape indeed! I had all of my pictures printed and in hand. This is a must! PRINT THE PICTURES AND HAVE THEM IN A FOLDER! Since this is your first EUC someone may have already picked up YOUR generator. Call the GL personel and tell them your just waiting for your EUC and that that sweet little gem of a Generator with ONLY 12 HOURS is yours! The GL personel dont care about your crap you won. If someone shows up and shows them a invoice for a generator then they quite possibly may try and skate off with your generator. Call them and then go get it yourself. That gen is a Gem! Oh and as far as my problem I bought the trailers to piss of the County Rural SS Beauty Campaign Monger so I kept them. I should have demanded a trade or my money back. Good Luck!

Last edited:

derf

^
What he said.
Definitely make contact with the GL person on site who is responsible for coordinating pickup. I've been on several bases many times and the GL personnel have always been nice. On one trip, getting ammo cans with a friend who had won the auction, many of the lids were missing from the cans we were picking up. We had printouts of the pics and asked the nice lady about the lids. She asked how many we were missing and went back and brought us that number of lids. I think whoever did not ask about them or whoever got the last lot of those cans might be missing some lids.
I would not travel 12 hours to pick a genny up, no matter how nice. I would speak with the GL person on site and coordinate with a reputable carrier. Things that can go wrong with transport can go wrong if you are there or not. You can get insurance on the transport. Talk with the GL rep and talk with the driver who is transporting and they will almost certainly handle your item carefully.

Another avenue might be to find a SS member who would be willing, as a favor or for a small fee, to go and be your agent and supervise the loading. Or, maybe have them pick up the item and deliver to a local freight company, saving you pickup fees.

Fuel and lodging on a 12hour trip adds up. It may be more economical to fly, rent a Uhaul, and drive back. Explore that option. Or, if you like wacky people, take a bus, rent, and drive back.

Also, you may try your local hot shot companies. If they have a driver returning from that area empty they may be able to transport your item at a reduced cost.

Where is the item?

bmwsyc

The Generator is in Columbus, OH. Would you recommend calling the on site person before my EUC clears?

My EUC went to battle creek today.

Anyone else picking up stuff from Columbus, event 5414?

EDIT: From what I can make out, the generator is at DSCC, Columbus.

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Send Gimpyrobb a PM, He is there quite a bit and I'm sure he knows the lot manager. He may be able to check it out for you and advise on the situation. Possibly even get it off of the lot for you when the time comes.

derf

The Generator is in Columbus, OH. Would you recommend calling the on site person before my EUC clears?

My EUC went to battle creek today.

Anyone else picking up stuff from Columbus, event 5414?

EDIT: From what I can make out, the generator is at DSCC, Columbus.
Send Gimpyrobb a PM, He is there quite a bit and I'm sure he knows the lot manager. He may be able to check it out for you and advise on the situation. Possibly even get it off of the lot for you when the time comes.
Absolutely call the site manager. If it is outside, see if you can sweet talk or bribe them into tarping it for you. Or, ask them to wrap with plastic if they can.
Luckily my gen sets were stored indoors because it took my EUC over 90 days to clear. I called after 90 and cleared a day or two after I called.
I spoke with the site manager several times. After my EUC finally cleared it was three weeks before I could make the trip to pick up the gen sets. They were understanding.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
As much as I would like to say that is a good lot, it isn't. I have had the items I won given to other people and told "here is what you have to choose from". Get me the info on your genset and I will see what I can do to help. Rick does the best he can, but I think there might be others at the site that aren't as good at what they do.

bmwsyc

As much as I would like to say that is a good lot, it isn't. I have had the items I won given to other people and told "here is what you have to choose from". Get me the info on your genset and I will see what I can do to help. Rick does the best he can, but I think there might be others at the site that aren't as good at what they do.
Much appreciated, it may be some time until the EUC clears. I've been on these forums for only a week or so, but it seems like everyone is more than willing to help out.

Thanks, again, pm sent.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Welcome from the Don of the AL MV Mafia.

You are now headed down the slippery slope of MV addiction on well greased ball bearing rollerskates. :cookoo:

There is no cure......we tried to start a support group but nobody wants to quit.rofl
He is the "DON" because all the girls don-won nothing to do with him!

PM replied.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks