• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New From Illinois with a Generator question

mikecambo

Hey all, I've been learning a lot here and now I've got a question about this generator I bought. I did look up the TM but this thing is old and has a different motor on it then what was original. It had some old gas in it that had gone bad and now I need some parts for the carb but can't find the correct info for it. Does anyone recognize this that could help me out? Thanks to everyone here for contributing to a great site.

Attachments

Carl_in_NH

Welcome to the forum. Gensets are useful and fun surplus repair projects.

Which MEP model number is this genset? I see a couple dataplates - and any numbers you've got from them might be helpful. Which parts for the carb do you need? Looks like you have a paper gasket that needs replacement. If that's all, you might try making your own with paper gasket material from the hardware store and a razor blade; not fun - but I've done this before to get something running until I could find parts.

mikecambo

It's a MEP015A but it has 2 different data plates one on the generator from 1974 and the other on the engine from 1986. The TM that I looked up shows a different engine and I'd like to know what this one is. Thanks for helping with this.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe they are the 2A016 engine. Yours has been refurbished at some point. You can see that by the little "box" on top of the engine. The older ones did not have that. Twright has 3 and the 86 he has is just like yours.

Carl_in_NH

2A016 sounds right. I've got an MEP-017A, and it uses the 2A042 to drive the 5 KW generator head. Having two different data plates - or even more - is not uncommon. My MEP-017A has a 1-68 date on the control box data plate, a 3-91 data plate on the engine, and a 1-89 data plate on the generator head. Built once; rebuilt several times. Common for the military stuff.

mikecambo

I appreciate all the info, my buddy managed to get it running last night and now I'm checking out Saturn Surplus for some gaskets. Thanks everyone for the help..:-D

looks like the 1.5kw w/ the 2a016 engine. the carb floats seem to have an issue with expanding and sticking while using gas w/ Ethanol in it. I'm working on several 1a08's and a 2a016 at home now.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard!! Lookin for a gen set meself. Live in the "boonies" and thought that one that is compatible with the Raven Deuce would be nice to have around, ya know? Good luck!! GREAT site, better people!! Darn green stuff, it sticks with ya like boogers on a finger!
God bless!
Tony:-D

6x6guy

Welcome to the motley crew, a wealth of information, and a lots of hands on experience-
looks like a 1.5K, I have a few of of them laying about and couple of extra motors. :roll: