• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New from ND

adeso

Standard new guy post, I just picked up a pair of M923a2s, and I'm already looking at a 936a2 and a 931a2... these things are addicting! I'm not looking to restore these to OEM, but I do like to tinker and customize trucks with my focus being on power train and functionality. I'm looking at swapping in trans and turning the engines up some, and maybe making one of them a crew cab. I some experience in diesel engines, and own a small lathe, milling machine and can weld so I'm really just limited by time away from my day job. As I get into these projects Ill be sure to start a thread on my mods

Andy

Another Ahab

Just Your Imagination

Standard new guy post, I just picked up a pair of M923a2s, and I'm already looking at a 936a2 and a 931a2... these things are addicting! I'm not looking to restore these to OEM, but I do like to tinker and customize trucks with my focus being on power train and functionality. I'm looking at swapping in trans and turning the engines up some, and maybe making one of them a crew cab. I some experience in diesel engines, and own a small lathe, milling machine and can weld so I'm really just limited by time away from my day job. As I get into these projects Ill be sure to start a thread on my mods

Andy
Funny. You're the first to even mention that.

adeso

well first pic is of the front pinion of the hard top 923a2, how you do this with only 19000 miles on it IDK but they did! I figured out the 800's have the same chunk so I picked up a rear 8xx axle to swap out

20141220_134220.jpg

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site Andy I am from Fargo and feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to answer them, you have a fair number of guys in your area also that I can put you in contact with! PM me when you get the chance and we can discuss further!
Karl

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Oklahoma. There is another member in Minot. Bighurt.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy,
Welcome from Kentucky. Half the fun of owning these trucks is you get to work on them.
JC

adeso

Thanks guys, I have met a few guys up in this area already, and it was a friend of mine up here that got me into the MV stuff.

adeso

MO
FO
TO

Plz

first couple of mods done; turned up the fuel pump (still playing with it to get it how I want) putting in EGT and boost gages and threw on a random cold air filter I had. Also pulled the gear set out of the 800 series donor axle to replace the front chunk out of the front end. I wanted to do the front end at the same time but couldn't get it into the heavy bay this weekend, so I have next weekend planned out to swap that out and finish tinkering with a few other things. The picture is in the bay the first day I drove it home and checked it out.

gears.jpg
filter.jpg
1419095510947.jpg

Shark Bait

Welcome from West Virginia. The problem soon will be " which one to tinker today"? Yes it is addicting. You will see parts and pieces and say " well, I should go ahead and get that. It's not that much ". Next thing, you'll be runnin out of places to put them and what to do to appease the wife and your addiction.
But hey, things could be worse.
Dave

adeso

Did some more tinkering today. took off the factory exhaust and put on a 4 inch straight muffler I had off one of the Dmax's.

I cut the coupler off the top 90* pipe and it fit right into the muffler.

muff1.jpg

I hated how the exhaust was at an angle, I want to make a step to get up into the bed so I cut the extender channel off.

cutoff.jpg

The exhaust will need to be extend some so it doesn't dump on the tarp when it is on, but I'll have to track down some more 4 inch pipe later to do that.

muff11.jpg

I re-drilled the holes in the guard so it sits in a little closer.

muff finished2.jpg

muff finished.jpg

it was cold today and I see I have a hose that is leaking coolant so I didn't start it and take it for a test drive yet but with just the intake and fuel pump mods you can hear the turbo scream now, bet it will sound mean with this exhaust on it

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok , now you're getting somewhere, still need a deuce and a couple generators, and trailers, yeah you need a trailer.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ND you pretty much go the 5 tons out of the way now you need to decide if your going to buy your way UP or back down the ladder a bit? may I suggest next buy should be a 920 or maybe a 911 HET, HEMTT would be VERY cool and well lets all admit it a 1070 would certainly be entertaining! Once a guy goes big it sure seems hard to back down that ladder!! Good luck, also from ND
Karl