• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New from Winnemucca NV...1952 M135CDN Restoration project

jeryshery

Measured the frame rails on the dodge to see what I'm going to have to do about using the donor motor mounts. The dodge frame is one inch wider. So what I'm going to do is cut both frame rails on the deuce one inch and box the frame where the mounts go with some half inch plate and weld the motor mounts in. That'll give me the extra clearance I need and make the motor mounts nice and strong.006.jpg

jeryshery

Also I was doing some thinking and realized my donor engine already has working a/c and a power steering pump. I have a power steering gearbox out of a 5ton ford I'll be adding as well.

jeryshery

Quick update since I haven't done anything to it in so long. Yes I'm still going to be building the truck. No I'm not going to do the 318. One evening after I sold the 318 I was standing on my front porch looking at my m1009 and realized that the 6.2 and th400 with the t-case would be fantastic in my m135. The great thing about it is I've got the engine, trans, t-case, glowplug relay, radiator, wiring, and everything else I need to do the install. The only things I'm going to have to spend money is having a driveshaft made to go in between both t-cases, lights, glass, and fuel. I've already got the m135 cleaned up and the radiator and grill pulled. All I need to do is unbolt everything, yank the engine, clean it and install the new one.

Will be posting pics tonight hopefully.

jeryshery

Today's progress was moving right along this morning. At around 14:00 it hit 80f so I've been ducking inside to stay cool and relax between doing work. Got all the motor and trans mount bolts undone. Got the exhaust out of the way. Cut most of my wiring out of the way (I'm rewiring everything. The trucks been sitting at 15 years at the mercy of chipmunks, field mice and rats.) All I've got left to do is pull the shift tower, the driveshaft bolts and misc pins. Still waiting on my wife to get back with the sd card for the camera so I can take some pics.

jeryshery

044.jpg047.jpg048.jpg049.jpg050.jpg052.jpg054.jpg042.jpg046.jpg1. New seat installed on old seat frame. 2. Headlight mounts removed from grill guard for radiator clearance, don't know where I'm installing the new headlights yet. 3. Guard with headlight crap removed. 4. Interior with floor sweptish. You can spot the new weatherstripping I installed. 5. Another floor shot. 6. Old radiator on ground. 7. Radiator bit me after some fighting to get it out of the brush guard. 8. Had a can of hunter green and I figured I might as well see what it looks like. Gonna do the whole truck in the stuff. 9. A front look at my progress so far.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We hit the Black Rock every year in our rigs. Hoping to be up north earlier this year and spend some time out in the hot springs w/ the horses roaming about. ;)

jeryshery

I sitting in my truck looking at all the weatherstripping I'm going to replace when I noticed my drivers side windshield frame is rotting out. The only truly rotted thing that I can spot on the truck. Anyway I was wondering if the windshield frames out of an m35 would fit. If they would that would solve a couple problems I have which is my frame rotting out and I'm badly in need of glass (Don't think dot would be happy with all the bullet-holes in my windshields.)

SturmTyger380

If you are talking about the two windows for the front. Unfortunately they are not the same as the M35. GMC made them unique. Mine are rusted too. I found a guy who had some that were better but still some rust. The glass in them is cracked though and I will have to figure out how to replace the glass.

jeryshery

I'll just switch the driverside with the less rusty passengers side for now. I'm gonna talk to my local glass shop and see if they can cut flat laminated safety glass. Both the windows in the k5 shell are intact and I believe they are laminated...hopefully.

jeryshery

003.jpg001.jpg004.jpg002.jpg1. Engine on its way out. 2. Engine resting on bumper waiting for one more adjustment of the hoist. 3. It's out! 4. A new beautiful hole where there used to be 51 year old steel. Glad I pulled it all. When I pulled it the trans was leakin fluid and smelled very badly burnt.

jeryshery

Now I've gotta find a buyer for the engine and trans. No doubt I won't be able to sell it and it'll get scrapped or become one ugly a@@ yard ornament.

jeryshery

Still got the engine and trans sitting by the truck. I haven't forgotten it I look at it on my way out the door every morning. So here's a couple pics of the new project that's taking up my time.113.jpg129.jpg120.jpg