• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Gama Goat Owner. Help! How do I connect the cargo section???

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's drop an easy link to the Goat Manuals from the TM link above. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/gamagoat-manuals.119161/

There are a lot of manuals so if we dig up a page number and some schematics of the attachment method it'll help future searchers working on the Goat.

I got to ride in this one and they are loud, fun machines. You must get that one rolling. This rusty looking Goat was painted up by the Movie industry and local MVPA SuperDave got some fame. Seems to me tires were an issue to find so if your tires are decent, treat them well.

Gama Goats don't rust like this one.

Attachments

PhrogPilot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you have most of the major items , you need to remove that "TOW BAR" set up so you can see if anything has been cut/altered on the frame . Do you have all the hardware/pins etc. needed to reconnect ??? baby steps for sure .
Sadly no hardware or Ujoint coupler...
Any ideas on where to get them?

PhrogPilot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SO it only connects at the bottom there the hitch is currently and at the driveshaft? (other than connecting the hoses, too...)

QUOTE="NDT, post: 2488737, member: 7671"]
Up top is for the truss kit, which allows you to rigidly connect the tractor and carrier, allowing the truck to operate with a missing wheel on the center axle. This is why no spare tire is provided on Goats.
[/QUOTE]

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SO it only connects at the bottom there the hitch is currently and at the driveshaft? (other than connecting the hoses, too...)

QUOTE="NDT, post: 2488737, member: 7671"]
Up top is for the truss kit, which allows you to rigidly connect the tractor and carrier, allowing the truck to operate with a missing wheel on the center axle. This is why no spare tire is provided on Goats.
[/QUOTE]
There is also a steering drive shaft to be connected. Hopefully you have that somewhere in the pile of stuff in the carrier.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As built, the Goat had a special aluminum alloy Detroit 3-53 engine, rather than usual cast iron. This enabled the weight balance from fore to aft necessary in swimming.

That engine was unfortunately prone to cylinder liner fretting, allowing coolant to leak into the oil pan.

In later years, it was replaced with by an iron block engine and swimming was ordered ceased.

Gamagoat1

As built, the Goat had a special aluminum alloy Detroit 3-53 engine, rather than usual cast iron. This enabled the weight balance from fore to aft necessary in swimming.

That engine was unfortunately prone to cylinder liner fretting, allowing coolant to leak into the oil pan.

In later years, it was replaced with by an iron block engine and swimming was ordered ceased.
BS>>> The Iron block is not the same size. It was never replaced with an iron block 353!!!

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BS>>> The Iron block is not the same size. It was never replaced with an iron block 353!!!
What's interesting in THIS thread you explained how to tell the difference between an aluminum block and iron block in the Detroit 353.

So... did they come with an aluminum block or not? You seem pretty sure that they did in the other thread and didn't in this thread...

Gamagoat1

What's interesting in THIS thread you explained how to tell the difference between an aluminum block and iron block in the Detroit 353.

So... did they come with an aluminum block or not? You seem pretty sure that they did in the other thread and didn't in this thread...
They were designed in this configuration, with an aluminum block , 3 cylinder Detroit Diesel featuring 53 cubic inches per cylinder. The 3-53 Detroit was a two stroke engine that could produce 101 horsepower and 217 lb-ft of torque.The original pilot design had an aircooled corvair engine.

Last edited:

joel

Hello All,
I feel blessed to be the new caretaker of a very nice, fully operational Gama Goat (well, sort of fully operational...). The previous owner did not have the ability to transport the Goat to parades, etc so he fabricated a system to pull the Cab with his Deuce and a half and the cargo section with a one ton truck. Well, I purchased it in two pieces and would like to reconnect them. Where do I start and what do I need???

Thanks!

Kenny
Capt USMC (ret)
Is it still apart?I know of a guy who ia a goat guy( M3A1)? I'll get back to you if my memory is not right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks