• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Generation CUCV?

mr.travo

Where do you guys see these trucks at and what branch? I have been stationed all over and never seen any of these. I also have been to several Air Force bases and never seen them either. I just want to track one down and check it out from top to bottom. All of these run 24v?

Cigarjoe

I was one today at Camp Atterbury today just like the one in the first pic. Camp Atterbury is just south of Indianapolis and they are doing a lot of the training before deployment.

lavarok

Saw another today in Cocoa heading east on 520. My son snapped these with his cell phone.

It is a Navy truck. I couldn't get much closer to get better photos as he was much quicker than the M1008 I was driving. I am still trying to figure out why I am seeing all these Navy trucks in Southern Brevard County. Plenty of air force installations around these parts, but no local Navy ones that I am aware of.

Attachments

firecontrol86

we had a lot of the ones like lavarok posted minus the camper top at multiple bases in san diego. mostly seabee units and base maintanence facilities. most are just stenciled "US Navy" on the side. not sure about the 24v though

Cassive

We currently have several of these LSSVs in my unit. The first ones showed up back in March '09 or so and have been filtering in ever since. Interestingly enough, they no longer run the two-piece wheels with the 33" Super Swampers that you see pictured due to numerous incidents of tread separation while on the freeway, so they all got recalled. Now, they run 33" BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO's with one-piece wheels. The first ones came with blackout covers riveted over the headlights and taillights, but we were told to remove them relatively soon after getting them. Also, there's no NATO slave receptacle so when the somewhat older LSSV's need a jump - which happens all the time - we can't use the new ones unless we break out cables from some guy's personal vehicle. They're nice trucks and all, but I'm not impressed with their ground clearance due to the IFS and tons of skid plates. More than one have come back from desert ops out at China Lake or Fallon with the undercarriages tore up due to encounters with rocks. About all we use them for is personnel transport to and from command activities, such as off-base PT sessions, pulling small boats, and impressing civilians during military displays at air shows, etc. Honestly, the plain-jane F-350 duallies we have are more useful in day-to-day operations due to their higher towing/payload ratings and they probably cost half as much. In addition, deploying units haven't been taking these to Iraq or Afghanistan since armored Humvees are the norm, so the whole blackout light system is pretty much a waste. Don't get me wrong, they're comfortable trucks and real eyecatchers when driving around town, but whoever ordered these things and approved all the extras went a bit overboard and wasted a lot of money!Thanks John Q taxpayer for yet another over-priced military toy! :D

Attachments

transman

Must be at least 23 of them out there with aftermarket front bumpers. Ihave the OD over chrome painted units fron GL to prove it App. 07 to 10 silvarado.