• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New GL deuce buyers

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll have to say all my GL dealing have gone fairly well. Before I ever bought anything from them I read all the post I could about GL so my expectations were low to start with. Don't get me wrong, I do have problems but I know how to deal with them and realize the fact that it's just how they operate.
Whenever you send them ANYTHING by fax, mail, or e-mail you make a followup call to them to make sure they got it. Don't wait until they contact you asking where it is. By then it will be too late to do anything about it. Be prepared to send any and everything atleast twice.
Something to consider for people wanting to "flip" deuces. Keep in mind that after you buy your deuce it could be 90 days or more after you pay for it before you can sell it due to the fact that you don't have a sf97. GL may can get away with selling trucks and making you wait for title but you can't. If you are buying on borrowed money that waiting can cost you a bunch.
Another thing about "flipping". I think the market is fixing to be flooded with the Gov. dumping all the deuces. It's getting to where around here deuces are starting to show up on used car lots and in all the car and truck papers. They're everywhere. I think the money to be made is going to be on parts. With all them trucks people are going to need parts.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, so last night I was playing around and saw a deuce on GL that looked nice except for whatever kind of box they had put on the back. I thought to myself "self why don't you see if you can get it".

Sometimes I listen and sometimes I don't. Next thing I know I have a Deuce sitting in Tennesee.

Have I ever had a big truck? No. Have I ever driven a big truck? Yes. My Brother had a Deuce and I have actually driven his and an OTR Mack so I don't think I'll have a problem. My Dad raised me running heavy equipment so I know how to turn a wrench as well.

Would I know enough to know exactly what to look for on a Deuce? Probably not but I know enough to know when I'm over my head. That's why I read this site and watched GL for prices and picked a location somewhat close to me. (346 miles)

I originally thought about driving her home with my wife in the chase Dodge but then I thought I got it cheap enough I can afford to have it hauled. So I may do that and just drive down and help load her gently. I have enough room around the farm to run her to make sure she is safe BEFORE I get crazy out on the road.

I just hope that the one will satisfy my inner child and I don't end up with 16 of them around the house. No wait, I take that back......I want as many as it takes.

:)

A pic of my new find before Gimpyrobb gets on me.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, firstly congrats on a new baby. From the single pic I can see a few god signs. One is that it's running, always good to know. Headlughts work too. I see the radio antenna mount on the back of the cab so who knows what's left of that install. The spare tire isn't in it's mount. It's always interesting to find out what kind of goodies are in the back of an enclosed vehicle, right Poppop? You did good! Now as far as operability, I'd not give 2 hoots about what happens if it stops going. You can always jump out, kick the tires and spit on it if you like. When it stops stopping the last thing out of your mouth could be "Oh Ship" or some close version. Triple check those skids when you get it.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations! It looks like you got a nice truck. I'd be interested in seeing pics of the box on the back.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations! It looks like you got a nice truck. I'd be interested in seeing pics of the box on the back.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks

Here are the other pics from GL. I have no idea what that unit is on the floor board.

As for the bed cover I wasn't real thrilled with it. It looks home made (unit made).

I only had a couple of things I wanted for sure and the biggest was the winch and it looks like it must have worked judging from the condition of the cable.

steve

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is your truck so please do with it what you will. However, I would at least see if the rear box is salvageable. It looks pretty cool. At the very least, try to sell it to someone who may want to use it. They did a pretty neat job building it...as opposed to the monstrosity on the back of a previous deuce I purchased!

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's usable and looks okay I may leave it on there. I think I have a cover for the top to keep the elements out.

A sawzall will do wonders for that plywood............on yours that is.

:)

bajajoaquin

Okay, but back on topic, what other options do some of us have? I'm new to the site, and have been lurking with the specific intent of learning enough to buy a deuce. As far as I know, there are no dealers in the San Diego area that sell these things, so either I truck from Idaho (sight unseen), or go to Barstow and inspect a few before bidding.

Have I driven medium-duty trucks before? Not really. But I have no desire for a "smaller" MV, and I've already got a full-size diesel pickup, so a CUCV is not of any interest. So, pretty much it's a deuce or nothing. There's not a lot of stepping-stones out there!

If someone knows of a reputable place to buy deuces in my area at reasonable prices, I'm all ears. It would be nice to get experience beforehand, if possible. Otherwise, I'm likely to buy my first deuce from GL.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to live in SD along log time ago...

If I lived there now I would ask the guys on the website who go to Barstow on a somewhat regular basis. I know that there have been some pretty nice looking trucks up the road from you. You are close enough to buy two. :)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
bajajoaquin said:
Okay, but back on topic, what other options do some of us have? I'm new to the site, and have been lurking with the specific intent of learning enough to buy a deuce. As far as I know, there are no dealers in the San Diego area that sell these things, so either I truck from Idaho (sight unseen), or go to Barstow and inspect a few before bidding.

Have I driven medium-duty trucks before? Not really. But I have no desire for a "smaller" MV, and I've already got a full-size diesel pickup, so a CUCV is not of any interest. So, pretty much it's a deuce or nothing. There's not a lot of stepping-stones out there!

If someone knows of a reputable place to buy deuces in my area at reasonable prices, I'm all ears. It would be nice to get experience beforehand, if possible. Otherwise, I'm likely to buy my first deuce from GL.
While I don't recommend buying your first deuce from GL that dosen't mean you have to buy from a big dealer either. Go to the member locator map at the top of the page under "resources" and contact some people in your general area or start a new post asking about trucks for sale in your area. I'm in Tennesse so I can't help you much but I'm sure there are people around that can.
edit to add- CA has some wierd titling, licensing, and CDL requirements from what I understand. I don't know all the details but a quick search of this site should give you some answers.

chuck500cc

I agree with getting to know what/when to do things. I just one my first duce, but, I did a lot of reading on this website to get the ins and outs of them first. I also asked a lot of questions. I am lucky to have have to Army guys who worked on them to help me along if I have problems.

Chuck XD Fan