• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Glow Plugs. Much Better!

QuickSilver

I just got done putting new glow plugs in the M1009. I went with the AC 60Gs, and replaced the factory connectors with 1/4" female blade terminals. She starts like a dream now! The cycle time on the light is longer than it was before I installed the new plugs, but from what I have read that's just an indication that the system is getting feedback from all of the plugs. Anyway, so far it's working great. We'll see what happens when the cold comes back.

idM1028

How big of a pain was it to get the old ones out? Mine are shot and they're definitely getting replaced before the lovely Midwest winter rolls around. Might just throw a turbo on the truck when I do, since I got to yank out the glow plugs anyways. And when I'm putting the turbo on, I might as well put ARP studs on the heads as well. But if I've got the heads off, what I might as well do while I'm at it. . .
Just a look inside my thought process. . .

TSgt.Kuchta

QuickSilver, thanks for the heads-up on the AC 60G glow-plugs.

idM1028,
I just replaced all the glow plugs in my M1009 (no different than a spark plug change), I did think about a Turbo when doing this, but not anytime soon! LOL

Steve

Last edited:

QuickSilver

It wasn't that hard. The passenger side is the hardest due to the batteries being in the way, but it didn't make things difficult enough to warrant removing the battery trays in my opinion. Lol I know what you mean about your "thought process". My Dad and I joke that we have "may as well"ed and "while I'm at it"ed our way through thousands of dollars. As much as I would love to have a turbo, I just can't see putting the $$$ into the 6.2. I think if I really start feeling the need for more power, it will be 4BT time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks