• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy currently at MCAS Cherry Point!

wannabe92z

After spending hours reading through posts without being able to see pictures I decided to join. Originally an Army brat from Fort Hood, TX I now reside in eastern North Carolina. Served proudly in the USAF including a tour in Iraq with OIF and continued service after separation as a contractor for the Army fixing Chinooks, Blackhawks, and Apaches. Currently a structures technician at MCAS Cherry Point.

I have found tons of inspiration and great ideas on this site for building a M1008 and/or M1009. Always been a big K30 fan, just need a crew cab or SUV for the family. I've currently got my eye on a retired NCHP M1009 that has been used by the UNCW Police and is up for auction. We shall see how that turns out. I'm really more interested in the M1008 but I can't believe what some people are asking for them when you can them at auction for a 1/3 of what they want. I have leads on about 3 of them in Clover, SC if anyone here is interested. None are green, 2 are white (titled), and one is red (SF97). He's asking $2500-3500 each for them. I too believe in built not bought. I'm looking forward to sourcing, building, and pulling all the info and help I can get from y'all. Keep it between the lines...or at least off the centerline and out of the ditch!

FrankUSMC

I am off to work now at....MCAS Cherry Point! I will post again when I get home. Welcome aboard!
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

FrankUSMC

Ok, I am home. Do you work at FRC east? That is where I have been working for the last 17 years, after my retirement from the Marines (that other gun club). I am down the road from you on Newport, when you go down highway 70, into Newport, that is one of my trucks setting at the gun shop. Stop by one day and I will show you the collection.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

wannabe92z

Thanks Frank. I'm actually looking for a truck at the moment. I am with FRC East starting Monday. Any hints on a good place to get a decent used chevy or gmc fullsize?

Stein12501

Hello from central Missouri. You'll enjoy the site and tons of info. Side note I was born at Cherry Point back in '55. My birth certificate still lists city as Cherry Point. Enjoy

wannabe92z

77 k10

Picked this up Sunday, 1977 K10 short bed, Goodwrench 350, automatic, unmolested non-a/c from the factory. Originally white and I was sold on the desert tan camo the second I saw it on Craigslist. Bed needs to be replaced, and the dual tanks don't work right. All in all not a bad deal. I guess just a matter of preference but I like the 73-80 front ends...might be because I've owned four different 2wd models.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks