• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy - Deuce owner to be?

USNavyGulfVet

Introducing myself and asking the standard “New Guy” questions as I poke around here..

First, I’ve been a “lurker” for some time, admiring peoples work, hard-start stories, and various restoration efforts. I have been considering a Deuce for about 5 years and think that I now know enough to get into trouble, and maybe even enough to work my way out of it… (with all of your help here of course)

My dad was an M48a3 driver in Vietnam and I grew up hearing about his stories of driving a tank, wearing his old helmet, trying on his uniforms etc… I’ve always loved armor and trucks.

I was in the Navy for 6 years in the early 90’s and made 2 Westpac’s to the Gulf on guided missile frigates. My MOS was electronics, satellite comms, crypto etc. I also was on the boarding teams doing MIO ops up in the northern end of the gulf.

So enough about me, here is where I am with the “Deuce” dilemma.

I’ve been seeing classified ads in the 2-3k range for “fixer uppers”, and 4-6k range for a decent driver with most the bells and whistles I’d be after. I hadn’t until recently considered a GL purchase, simply out of ignorance of the process. After looking at some of them, and reading the EUC challenges, I’m still not sure.

I guess the main question I would have for those that have “gone down that road” before is – would you look for a solid private party sale, or are the challenges of a GL purchase worth it given the potential bottom line savings for the initial purchase. (knowing there are plenty of other costs, transportation, gamble on the condition, licensing etc)

Additionally I’d add that I am no stranger to general automotive restoration, overhauling many a car and truck… and that I have “some” experience with diesel mechanics and restoration, but not to the same degree.

And finally I add, and then ask. I live in Kaliforniastan and would be interested to find a link here (or replies to this thread if it hasn’t been discussed in detail) what the specific challenges of owning an MV on the left coast means.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning and contributing over time.

- Paul [thumbzup]

Last edited:

Heavysteven

Paul,
It's hard to read your post FYI.

I found that buying private party or from a dealer was expensive. However, the buying from GL it took me almost three months to get all the papaer work in and back approved. They held my money and truck the entire time. The process was fruastrating but not impossible.

I would suggest to keep looking on GL and preview a truck before you bid on it.

Also, just becuase you see a truck and it's expensive does not mean you can't make an offer.

gunboy1656

While your reading about the truck itself, don't forget your wonderful state like the deuce drivers to have a CDL license. So you might wanna read up on that part as well.

aspann

Welcome to SS Gulf Vet. I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere, probably here on SS, that you don't need a CDL in Kallifornia.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from another swabbie who made two Westpacs in the 70s.

Lived in the People's Republic of Kalifornia for over 5 years.

Have two trucks from GL and have purchased 7 trailers from them as well and I think if I were to start over I would get one that had been gone through be someone competent. Private or dealer so long as they know what they are doing.

sw

USNavyGulfVet

Thanks all for the quick replies today and welcomes...

sw, that's the logic I have been pondering lately. The adventurous side of me wants to tackle a project. The realistic side of me is having second thoughts on all of the "What-ifs"...

continuing to look...

thanks

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After working on my #2 truck and needing to rebuild the brakes on #1 truck and I need to work on my newly acquired 5-ton tractor I'd think about it long an hard.

sw