• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy....First Post.....First M-35A2.....Need Help!!

UZISHOOTER

Just found this site this a.m. Brought home my 1971 AM General M35A2 WO/W. Started fine and ran fine, drove it 20 miles home. The primary issue is it would appear raw diesel is exiting somewhere on the pass. side of the motor in large amounts, the tailgate is wet w/ diesel ! Injector side of the motor is dry, no visible leaks. Everything on the pass. side is soaked, inside engine compartment and outside also. I would like to find a shop in N.W. Ohio who can perform basic PM such as greasing, filter changes, etc. who KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING. Have talked to many shops who respond "we should be able to work on it", not interested. Truck is in good shape, everything seems to work just fine, starts right up, no smoke from exhaust, this fuel blowby has me concerned. My intent is to bring her back to 1971 Vietnam vintage w/out changing much other than mechanical improvements such as remote oil filters, coolant filter, etc. There must be someone within 100 miles of me who knows these vehicles and the "ins and outs" of them, unfortunately I have no time to work on it myself but am not afraid to pay someone who does and "knows their shit" . ANY THOUGHTS, TIPS OR CLUES WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. Send a phone and I will happily call. Thanks for a great site.

avengeusa

I would pull into a car wash, hose the thing off and get it dry, then run it while watching to see if you can figure out where she is leaking

DanMartin

Welcome to the site UZI!

The primary fuel filter is on the passenger side of a M35. Maybe something as simple as the drain plug isn't tight or a bleeder valve is open...or maybe the filter housing is leaking due to a lose housing or a torn gasket. Obviously there are fuel lines everywhere too that will need to have fittings checked. There's not much fuel system on the passenger side though...so it's got to be between the tank and the primary or just beyond that where it goes up to the secondary filters on the drivers side.

Should be a simple fix though.

I second the suggestion to get it washed down to find the leak easier. You should only need to pressurize the system with the in-tank pump, so you need not have it running if it's leaking fuel before the IP.

Do you have the -10 and -20 technical manuals? If not, please download them from this site (under the "resources" link). You *will* need them.

Alredneck

Banned
First welcome to the site, second congrats on the deuce! Theres always someone somewhere that might be able to help but learning how to do it your self will pay dividens and save you money in the long run. Also it helps to posts pics of the truck and whatever is wrong with it. Other than that hope you get it worked out and nopics

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be the flame heater lines too! Welcome UZI. I agree with Alredneck. No greater feeling than doin' it yerself!

hole

Welcome Uzi! Congrats on your truck! Theres some pretty knowledgeable folks here on this site that are always eager to help, online or in person. Take a look at the member locator map , I'm sure theres quite a few guys near you that could be of assistance. Oh, and nopics

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where you at uzi? I'm near Bucyrus/shelby/mansfield area, might be able to take a look at it. Not much I haven't fixed on these trucks.

Dennis

mcmullag

agreed

I agree with all of the above.
1. My primary fuel filter was leaking at the output side, found someone had overtightened the line nut into the filter housing and the line nut had split.
2. My intake manifold flame heater started dripping really good too, out the end that is not stuck into the manifold. I have the fuel supply to it bypassed for now.
I bet your problem is related to the intake manifold flame heater thingy.
Does anyone know much about those? While installed on the engine, I took the snap ring off on the end opposite the end stuck into the manifold, hoping to slide stuff out and replace a bad o-ring. The round end plate would not budge after removing the snap ring. One day soon I will unscrew the flamethrower out of the intake and figure it out on the workbench.

g.

Somemedic

RE: agreed

Dang it.... thats what I was going to do too. Tryin to pull out and replace the o-rings without pulling that housing off the mainfold. Fat chance thats going to happen now

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks