• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy from centeral NC

Djstorm100

Hey everyone, I'm Dustin 26 years old and work for Caterpillar as Hydraulic engineer. Been lurking for a few weeks and always wanted a deuce and half. Always thought they were awesome truck to have on the "cheap" I've been a mechanic since I was 15 turning wrenches on cars/trucks. Now I'm in the process of looking for the one to pick up and take home.

Scottd9990

Welcome Dustin! I am in Concord NC. Picking up my first truck next week. M185a3 Shop Van. Might be handy tovget to know you. I dont know deisel engines very well. I am pretty good on rest of cars/ trucks.

Djstorm100

Thanks guys!

Is there a place around NC that sells these is good running order? Would like to be able to drive/ play without much trouble.

I am also looking at m923 but don't know that much about at all or how well they are compare to m35/44

Djstorm100

Welcome Dustin! I am in Concord NC. Picking up my first truck next week. M185a3 Shop Van. Might be handy tovget to know you. I dont know deisel engines very well. I am pretty good on rest of cars/ trucks.
Yea man! to be honest I haven't turn that many wrenches on them but know enough to be dangerous lol!

Scottd9990

Title is what i am waiting for the po to get done before I buy my truck. Should be done next week i hope. Been reading, reading tm's and everything i can find on these trucks. I have a pretty good idea how they work and how to troubleshoot the common problems. Think i am ready for mine. Not sure the wife is so ready!!! :)

Djstorm100

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. That was the first place to look. Problem is getting knowledge on these trucks so I'm not taken advantage of by a seller. Mechanically I'm not TO worried about but still want to learn as much as I can.

Does the automatic (m35a3 I think?) have a higher top speed than 5 speed?

Doug Roberts

the A3 isn't the most desirable of the Deuces . 1st , it isn't a multifuel ( ultra cool , greener than a Toyota Prius ), 2nd it has CTIS ( can be a headache ) . There are lots of more experienced SS members here that probably can tell you more . Be careful about this 'top speed' mentality. Asphalt is no MV's favorite friend. Fast in a MV is 50-55mph ( on the road of course ). The tires aren't speed rated for much more. Safety is paramount , we go crunching cars on the road and the MV world generates negative attention that compromises ownership and could create regulations that restrict in serious ways. DMV policies already vary state to state.

stupidwhitecat

They come to you and do the inspection? Is it general safety items?
I think he may be referring to titling as an antique vehicle. When doing that someone from the DMV will come out to inspect it. If registering normally, they will not. As far as the DMV, very easy for me. Just make sure all your paper work is in order. If not going the antique route, as far as they are concerned it is just a "truck." Just make sure you get the correct weighted tag. I think when dealing with them less is more. I didn't go in there exclaiming it was a big old military truck. "It is an 82' AMG truck that I am registering." My experience it was no different then when registering my family car. It will have to pass a general safety inspection just like any other car or truck. That was the most trouble I had was finding someone who would inspect it. Luckily nearby there was is a military surplus dealer that also has a garage.