• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy from central Illinois

troop2865

I simply wanted to say hi to everyone. I have been reading the classified and what I can for the past several weeks. I am travelling to Montana to purchase my first Mv, an M715 (starting small) in a week or so. I have learned a great deal here, and have much more to learn. I can't wait to start my build up.

troop2865

Thanks. I have been toying with the idea of bobbing the M715 to improve the departure angle. I have a lot of ideas, but not sure what direction to go yet. The truck already has a SB350 and Turbo 400. The output yoke is broken on the transfer case and it has been sitting a while. The truck body appears to be very solid. I am primarily looking for something rust free. The price seems right. I just wish it wasn't so far away. Although, any excuse to go to the mountains is good for me.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard! Great to have another person from Illinois(the corrupt governor state lol) Good luck with your recovery! TONS of info here, GREAT people! I find new stuff everytime I get on!
God bless
Tony:-D

troop2865

Sorry. I did not see the attached web sites. Sounds like it will be a great show. My youngest son is really gettig into anything military. He is trying to talk mom into a M35a2. I don't think he will be successful at this point. An M715 is going to be good for now.

troop2865

Thanks for the welcome messages. I have been reading up quite a bit. While my son would like me to bob a deuce, there is no for a truck that big. I recently purchased my first military truck, an M715, It already had a small block Chevy swapped in. Just this week I purchased my first vehicle from Government Liquidators, an m1008 with 26, 000 miles. I got it pretty cheap due to dents in the bed and door. Everything else looks good. I will take the axles and possibly the transmission to swap in my truck. This is my first really do it myself project. It is going to be fun....and I am sure head hurting at times. I am sure I will have many questions.

troop2865

Updates

Sorry I have not posted anything on my truck for a long time, although I have a thread over at M715 zone. I got a slow start. So far I have:

Sold the old axles, transmission and transfer case.
Purchased M1028 and pulled the axles (sold the rest)
Rebuilt the CUCV axles and added rear discs
Acquired a rebuilt NP205 (divorced)
Installed **** Creek 4 inch lift rear springs
Fabbed new spring hangers for Dana 60 using Chevy 2" lift springs
Moved motor mounts forward so SBC clears firewall
Purchased used Warn 8274 (really cheap) and cleaned up
Swapped for some 39 - 15 - 16.5 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted tires like new
Bought some used 16.5 X 12 Mickey Thompson Classic wheels
Begun some body work - patching holes in bed cut by previous fire department, along with some rust repair (rust is very limited)

I have a lot of ideas, but as with most, budget is always the limiting factor. Thus far I have managed to trade, sell, and barter for parts to keep the cost down. I have always wanted one of these trucks and this is my first real project on my own. I am learning a lot, much the hard way, but it is fun none the less. Thanks for all of the ideas from your posts.

Attachments

troop2865

Your not far at all. I drove by there many days on my way to work in Springfield. You truck looks great. My son, Tom, would love to build a bobbed deuce. How long have you had yours?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks