• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy from Georgia checking in

ugeh37

Hello, I am brand new to this forum. I'm in the early stages of considering the purchase of a surplus truck, but I don't even know what I don't know right now.:?

I need something that has 4 or 6 wheel drive. Something that carry loads, and is relatively dependable, or at least something I can work on myself. I was considering an M1078, but a friend warned me against it, and recommended this forum, so I could gain some education.

So here I am, ready to learn.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome man! I did a bunch of learning on this site before I purchased and still learned a bunch after and will continue to learn daily but it sure is fun! 6 wheel drive is awesome but understand the more awesome you are the more costly. It is worth every second of it to me! Enjoy! Maybe you could wait till the Georgia rally and see in person what all the different trucks look like in person and ask questions.

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hi from North Ga. Remember education is expensive research and questions are free for the most part. We were all newbies at one point. Use the search bar and Google as you search you will have more refined questions, this will help people help you.
Couple other events not far away, War Bird weekend at Peachtree DeKalb airport April 21st & 22nd And a Rally in Denton N.C. the following weekend https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?175194-Denton-NC-Spring-Rally-25-29-April-2018

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Marietta.
Lots of good people and information here.
Georgia rally is a must at any rate. (Search GMVR18)

All above is good info, MV's can be from tiny to huge, simple to complex. All will need some TLC.
What uses do you have in mind, or just as toys?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Kentucky. You're headed in the right direction. I think the quenisential M35A2C2 is the vehicle to start with.
It is the "army truck" we all wanted. They are cheap, easy to maintain, parts are available, fun to drive, will out last you- your kids will be driving it when you're gone (God forbid). Get with the Georgia boys, they will let you check all the MVs available. Note: there have been some nice M35s advertized on the site , good trucks ,all under $7500.00. Cant buy a 4 wheeler for that........

ugeh37

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.

Reading through the site, I'm already learning a few things I don't know yet.:smile:

I'd be lying if I said I only wanted a mv for practical reasons, but I am using that as an excuse.

I'm sure I'll ask some pretty dumb questions, so be gentle.

tobyS

Do you have zoning restrictions where you live that prevent a heavy vehicle from being kept, like a subdivision?

The 1078 has a lot of fans but I think the 5 tons, M939 are a good value if you can deal with the size.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard from Nevada. As Scar59 stated above you can't go wrong with an M35A2. After you get the truck, pick up an M105A2 trailer to go with it.

NormB

I lurked around here for about a year before I decided on taking the plunge.

Owning a military vehicle will teach you a lot of things. Patience. Tolerance. Skills you never knew you had or cursing you never imagined you could produce (if you’re a cursing man). You’ll relearn basic wound care you boned up on once in boy scouts or basic training or as an 18D even. It’ll stretch your budget, change your priorities, allow you to meet some truly amazing people with amazing stories, and history, and willingness to share THEIR knowledge, skills, and more.

I’ve owned my truck just over a year (EOM Sept. ‘16) and I’m sure I’ve got things to learn, people to meet, lessons to share, flesh to give.

Welcome to the madness.

Norm

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi and welcome. When choosing your level punishment/enjoyment remember, the bigger the truck, the heavier the parts. Enjoy!