• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy from NC with M1028

TheOrigin

Been wanting an M1008 or M1028 for almost 20 years. Just sold my 86 C10 to my dad and decided to buy and build one how I want it. Putting a 6.0 LS and 4 speed trans in it now. Looking for the rest of the parts I need to complete the project. Building a nice driver and work/tow rig out of this that can also do well on the dirt. Ended up getting a great deal on an M1028 with 17k miles. Wasn't running when I got it but I didn't care. Looking for a nice long bed in Moore County NC area. Also an NP241 with passenger drop front shaft.

Attached a shot of me and my dad lowering the engine in. Learned a few tricks struggling thru some fitment issues but overall it was pretty easy. Next time I will know to remove the oil cooler lines beforehand and if you are dropping it in with the trans still attached leaving the clamshells bolted to the engine mounts on the engine makes it much easier.

Have also been considering a utility, radio box or flat bed but I think I will end up with a fleet side regular bed. Will start more of a build thread when I make more progress.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Been wanting an M1008 or M1028 for almost 20 years. Just sold my 86 C10 to my dad and decided to buy and build one how I want it. Putting a 6.0 LS and 4 speed trans in it now. Looking for the rest of the parts I need to complete the project. Building a nice driver and work/tow rig out of this that can also do well on the dirt. Ended up getting a great deal on an M1028 with 17k miles. Wasn't running when I got it but I didn't care. Looking for a nice long bed in Moore County NC area. Also an NP241 with passenger drop front shaft.

Attached a shot of me and my dad lowering the engine in. Learned a few tricks struggling thru some fitment issues but overall it was pretty easy. Next time I will know to remove the oil cooler lines beforehand and if you are dropping it in with the trans still attached leaving the clamshells bolted to the engine mounts on the engine makes it much easier.

Have also been considering a utility, radio box or flat bed but I think I will end up with a fleet side regular bed. Will start more of a build thread when I make more progress.
Welcome to the outfit!

Sounds like a project for sure. With the heat and humidity around here, I would be searching for a shade tree to do the work under for sure. Be sure to post up some pictures to document where you started. Really cool that you have your dad to work with on something like that!

Last edited:

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to this site and the hobby. It’s really nice that you and your dad can do this together. You are building more than a truck... Enjoy every minute!
Be sure to check in here as you progress. We all like to see these projects. If you have any questions about that truck, you will find someone here with the answer. This site is frequented by the best MV mechanics anywhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks