• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy from So Cal

Moto4Life

What great site this is! I've been reading up on so many things over the past week I can barely wrap my head around it. Anyways, a 1972 Deuce fell into my lap a couple weeks ago so I thought I'd find out some more about them before I buy. It is a multifuel and runs well, fired right up after sitting for 6 months when I went to look at it. The canvas top is missing, and the seats are, well barely there, but everything appears to be in good working condition. The guy is asking $3,500, any thoughts or things I should pay special attention to before deciding to buy? He says he has the SF-97 and it IS registered but he hasn't found the plates or paperwork yet.

olverama

hey! you're right around the corner from me!.... Im stationed at Edwards. I live in North Edwards.

I just bought mine a couple weeks ago and Im getting ready to turn this thing around. Its a project that we're going to flip... then with my cut of the money Im going to buy one for myself... Maybe we can get together sometime... sounds like a great chance for a photo op!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The SF97 is surrendered to DMV or the service that is doing the registration process. If your seller says he has both the SF97 AND registration, I think he might be confused unless he/she made a copy of it. A word of advice, DO NOT use DMV. Go to a registration service. No paperwork, no sale. Good luck! Welcome to SteelSoldiers!!

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. How's life out in Land-Scatter? Start reading your TM's available here on the site.

Remember, if you don't know already, to legally drive a Deuce in CA you need a Class B Comm. Driver License (3 axles over 6k lbs.). There are naysayers to this issue, but it is the law out here.

A word of advice, DO NOT use DMV. Go to a registration service. No paperwork, no sale. Good luck! Welcome to SteelSoldiers!!
:ditto:I used Tony's Registration Service in Monrovia, 626-447-2450. Was all very painless and worth their fee. I believe WillWagner agrees...

Last edited:

Moto4Life

hey! you're right around the corner from me!.... Im stationed at Edwards. I live in North Edwards.

I just bought mine a couple weeks ago and Im getting ready to turn this thing around. Its a project that we're going to flip... then with my cut of the money Im going to buy one for myself... Maybe we can get together sometime... sounds like a great chance for a photo op!
That'd be great. I definitely want to get to know some people near me with a similar love for these old trucks.

The SF97 is surrendered to DMV or the service that is doing the registration process. If your seller says he has both the SF97 AND registration, I think he might be confused unless he/she made a copy of it. A word of advice, DO NOT use DMV. Go to a registration service. No paperwork, no sale. Good luck! Welcome to SteelSoldiers!!
Alright, he must just be a little confused on the whole process. Thanks!

Remember, if you don't know already, to legally drive a Deuce in CA you need a Class B Comm. Driver License (3 axles over 6k lbs.). There are naysayers to this issue, but it is the law out here.
Yes, I'm aware of the license requirement. If all goes well with the purchase that will be one of the first things I do. :driver:

Moto4Life

Don't have any pics, but here's so shaky video that at least gives you a pretty good idea. The truck has the stakebed sides with troop seats and a PTO winch. There is NO canvas cab roof or cargo covering. There ribs for the cargo area are missing but the ribs for the cab are intact. Thanks for all the help guys! [thumbzup]

YouTube - 1972 Deuce and a Half

Cucvnut

Cool more left coat people you all seem to be in So cal...Maybe I should move there when i done with school. Welcome to SS

998Junkie

Welcome to SS.
Nice to have another member here on the Left coast.
I'm sure others will be able to add more about your Deuce question.
BH
Yes Welcome and hope to see you at Dirtbag.

BLK...I prefer to call it the right coast.:drool: Just change the compass dial and ditch the GPS and the night vision...