• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy from Tennessee

Vhyle

Hey everyone! I just had to join up because the vast wealth of knowledge on these forums got me hooked right from the start. Last week I became the proud owner of an '86 M1009 CUCV. It has a few electrical faults, and my research led me to this site. I'm glad it did.

Long story short - I'm in the Army; I'm married and a dad; I love playing music and instruments. Previous to the Army, I have 8 years mechanical experience, so turning some wrenches on this truck is no big deal to me. The funky alternator/electrical symptoms that these CUCVs are notorious for are what led me here.

So with that said, hello! :p

350TacoZilla

welcome from another noob , if you are like me with the cucv you will end up doing a 12V conversion on it and getting away from the 24v/12V split system.

Vhyle

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Yes, Fort Campbell is an interesting place... the area isn't too bad though.

welcome from another noob , if you are like me with the cucv you will end up doing a 12V conversion on it and getting away from the 24v/12V split system.
Eh, unlikely. A lot of sources on this site say that converting is for the most part pointless, and the 12/24 system is very effective once the kinks are worked out. As of right now, it's most cost effective to repair the faulty alternator and retain the 12/24 system. The truck came with two brand new batteries and a new starter, so I'm gonna leave the system intact.

350TacoZilla

yeah I kept the 2 batts but re-wired them parallel instead of in series, then just replaced starter and disabled one alt (left it in place so if one failed i could re hook other)and took out resister to glow plugs. I thought it was little more useful down the rd if you ever need a jump or jump someone else, also have a full 12v sytem makes it easier to wire in add ons without any worry.

jedawson1

Welcome, from Murfreesboro, TN
there are several cucv owners at Ft. Campbell/Clarksville do you know any of them? I hope to put together a TN rally one day if the state just wasn't so Wide and it's members so independent. I have a contact list of a little over 20 member in TN, PM me you email if your interested in being a part of it or if you need a resource in your area I can give you the email of local SS's to help trouble shoot. Your in a good spot to be a cucv owner I believe There are 5 near the base. Best of Luck with your new addiction... No cure!

Vhyle

Welcome, from Murfreesboro, TN
there are several cucv owners at Ft. Campbell/Clarksville do you know any of them? I hope to put together a TN rally one day if the state just wasn't so Wide and it's members so independent. I have a contact list of a little over 20 member in TN, PM me you email if your interested in being a part of it or if you need a resource in your area I can give you the email of local SS's to help trouble shoot. Your in a good spot to be a cucv owner I believe There are 5 near the base. Best of Luck with your new addiction... No cure!

Sure thing! PM being sent. I don't know any other CUCV owners around here, yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks