• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy from Texas

craftkr

Newb from Texas, been thinking about getting a M105 and converting to a simple camper. Allot of ideas in my head and found this site and ****ed if there aren't even more idea's.

Used most of this equipment when I was in Marine Corp's, and like most I still like the old military gear. So I'm shopping around and trying to put a game plan together.

If all goes well it will be a timely build, if and when it gets to that I will try to keep an updated thread on progress etc.

Kevin

DeucesWild11

Cool idea, I believe a few people on here are doing or have done similar. Just curious what are you planning to tow it with. Non military? If you you'll have to re-work lights and brakes.. But sure you know all that already since you were in the Marine Corps.

Welcome!

craftkr

Probably should have disclosed that info.....

I plan on towing it with my F350, I know it will pull the trailer but the brakes and lighting would be reworked. Had a couple pop up on houston's craigslist and I've been checking prices to see what the "market" price is for one. Cool site, I'm drooling at some of the rigs on the classifieds.

DeucesWild11

Cool. I towed mine home with my Navigator. Pulled great but no brakes or lights.. You could probably get away without the brakes if you don't take it out often or far, however, if you plan on going long distances then definitely get the brakes set up.. It is a heavy trailer..:beer:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from the Hill Country.

An easy fix for the brakes on a 105 is to swap to a civi axle with electric brakes. That way you can also have a common tire with your F350 so no need for a different spare. If you're worried about the "historic" aspect of it you can always hang on to the old axle and swap it back if needed.

craftkr

An easy fix for the brakes on a 105 is to swap to a civi axle with electric brakes. That way you can also have a common tire with your F350 so no need for a different spare. If you're worried about the "historic" aspect of it you can always hang on to the old axle and swap it back if needed.

I like the way you think, common bolt pattern for common spares is a plus and adding the electronic brake axle would simplify that. Appreciate the idea.

Darwin T

Welcome from port arthur, TX.

watchout this is an afflection that spreads fast. :jumpin: you are in the right place if you want to keep adding more projects to you ""TODO" list. lots of cool ideas for projects.
kevin

Darwin T

he can swap it back next year when he buys a deuce to match the trailer, so the tires will match again.

Last edited:

onegmjack

Welcome to the site.Just try to get one,you can't stop with one.I started with one truck,now got two M105A2 trailers.Post you build when you start.Dwight

craftkr

Yeah I hear ya, there's a bobtailed 5 ton... I would love to have.... I'd just cruise that thing up and down the beach.... and wherever I wanted to. This is another sickness.. I mean hobby... :beer:

Motorcar

Welcome, the 105A2 wieghs in at 2,750 lbs. empty with 300 on the tounge. The 101 is quite a bit easier on everything. Fortunately both are fairly plentiful on the GL auctions from time to time up in your area of the state if you don't want to go the craigslist/ebay way. Brought a 105 home with my Ford Explorer Sport Trac and magnetic trailer lights, though I wouldn't want to go a long distance with that. My Deuce handled the second one I got like it wasn't even back there!

craftkr

Welcome, the 105A2 wieghs in at 2,750 lbs. empty with 300 on the tounge. The 101 is quite a bit easier on everything. Fortunately both are fairly plentiful on the GL auctions from time to time up in your area of the state if you don't want to go the craigslist/ebay way. Brought a 105 home with my Ford Explorer Sport Trac and magnetic trailer lights, though I wouldn't want to go a long distance with that. My Deuce handled the second one I got like it wasn't even back there!
I've been looking on GL auctions, but I'm in Rockport Texas down on the coast. Not much avialable around San Antonio, North Texas had a few and some of the bases in Oklahoma. Dallas is about 7 hrs away from me, so I'm looking around on Craigslist, found a couple around Austin and Houston. I'm trying to learn as much as I can off of this site prior to picking one up. I've got some cool plans already laid out, and I haven't been able to find anything close to what I want to do. Wieght is a considerable factor as I'm going to add a good bit of wieght making my tactical/all terrian camper out of this. I keep reading and making notes, I've got a rough idea and now I'm just refining the plan and see what I end up with to start this little project.

Appreciate all the welcome's, and idea's/info. Really a cool site wtih a bunch of good people.

Motorcar

Ooops! Rockport...not Rockwall up in the Dallas area, sorry. Got my rocks mixed up. There have been some good looking M105A2 trailers go thru Ft. Sam recently as well as 101's. They seem to have them regularly. What is that about a 3 hour drive for you? Last time I talked to Rod at the GL lot he had a bunch of 105's on his property he got for minimum when they were about to close no-bid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks