• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy here - couple of ?'s

Mtrdrms

Hey guys I have been searching and learning alot from this board and since I just picked up a m1008 I decided to join and contribute where I can. I have couple of questions about my new rig however.
I tried to start it for the first time yesterday after getting it home and it would crank nicely but wouldnt start. Upon further inspection I noticed the belt for the driverside alternator is missing. I know the two alternators are different and serve different purposes but would this cause the truck not to start? I will install one today (maybe not, it is frigid outside this week!) and if it still wont run I will try air and fuel issues but I figured I'd ask first.

Thank for the help!

Andy

1956_4x4

Hey guys I have been searching and learning alot from this board and since I just picked up a m1008 I decided to join and contribute where I can. I have couple of questions about my new rig however.
I tried to start it for the first time yesterday after getting it home and it would crank nicely but wouldnt start. Upon further inspection I noticed the belt for the driverside alternator is missing. I know the two alternators are different and serve different purposes but would this cause the truck not to start? I will install one today (maybe not, it is frigid outside this week!) and if it still wont run I will try air and fuel issues but I figured I'd ask first.

Thank for the help!

Andy
Andy - Welcome to the forum. If the engine is turning over the missing belt will not cause the engine to not start. After checking the fuel I'd check the glow plug operation. You can find information on checking the glow plug system in the FAQ post at the top of the page or you can check out the tech manual that is found under the resources tab at the top of the section.

Smitty

hobie237

The alternators are not "different" in the factory configuration, nor do they "serve different purposes." They are the same alternator, with an isolated ground, wired in series. One provides 12v, the other bumps it up with an additional 12v to get 24v- same as the batteries. Where they *could* be different is that the 0-12v alternator can be replaced by a standard, non-isolated ground, regular, off the auto parts store shelf alternator, whereas the other (12-24v) one MUST be the military configuration to yield 24v.

Either way, you could disconnect both of the alternators and run off just the batteries for days, maybe weeks, if you weren't starting the truck that much, since the only electric draws would be for lights and the injection pump solenoid. If it's got enough power to crank, it has WAY more than enough for the other minor things (just the IP solenoid, really) that it takes to start.

Since it's cold, you really need the glow plugs in good working order to get the sucker started, and the cold advance (HPCA) solenoid in good working order as well. I believe the sun visor sticker says to push the pedal to the floor to start when it's below freezing.

If the glow plugs aren't working (or if you're not sure and don't feel like checking), just pull the card out and hit the air cleaner with starting fluid.

Mtrdrms

Well no luck on starting it this afternoon. I feel like its a fuel delivery issue but how would I check? I unscrewed the plug on top of the fuel filter and cranked for a few seconds and no fuel came out. There is fuel in the tank however. Is that an appropriate inspection? Is there another way to confirm?

Thanks

dependable

There should be fuel there. If there isn't, you may have cracked fuel line of some other air leak before lift pump.(this is fuel pump on front passenger side of engine, same as a small block chev). It is good to change fuel filter, also there is a sensor in the fuel filter base that leaks down air. Check previous threads on this subject. The primary fuel pump or lift pump does fail once in a while. Replacing it is not complicated, but is a pain to reach. If this is a truck fresh from military, then I would bet it is the fuel filter base leaking air.