• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy Here

Flat Ernie

Kept seeing references to this site and doing some research on my vehicle, figured I'd stop in and register.

I've got a somewhat rarer late-model vehicle. I can't find it in the more common listings of military vehicles, but I've found more than one of these things. They all seem to be of a similar usage: SeaBee Field Ambulance. So this might've been a smaller contract within a larger one...maybe. I only say that because I haven't found many of them (maybe three others - all old sales/auctions) and almost no info.

Anyway, it's a 1990 K3500 Ambulance on a cab & chassis frame with 6.2 diesel, TH400 and BW1370 transfer case with 4.56 gearing, but it's not a CUCV. I picked it up out in Sacramento and it already had a CA title as Sacramento Co Sheriffs had owned it after military. Guy I got it from bought it at Sheriff auction, but had an accident (in other vehicle) and needed the money - he owned it less than two months. It only had 4400 miles on it when I got it and everything works. I put new tires on it, changed the fluids, brakes, and belt, built a trailer hitch for it, and drove it from CA to FL towing a 57 T-bird on a U-Haul trailer - got 11mpg over 2600+ miles. Around town and normal mixed driving I get almost 13mpg. It's heavy.

It's currently registered in FL as a commercial vehicle, but I plan to convert it to an RV title. I'm in the process of converting it to a camper, but would really like to know what the model is. I found it last year when I was doing research, but two days of internet sleuthing now and I can't find it again...and it's not what I remembered. I thought it was an M1047, but that's not right...

Otherwise, I'm looking for info on upgrades/modifications to the 6.2 and the drivetrain. I'm probably going to put a gearvendors OD on the back of the transfer case as I have one (just need to get the right adapter). I'd like a little more power out of it (I was down in 1 gear and doing 25mph up the passes - yes, i was towing, but this thing is not a powerhouse) and a turbo conversion might be one way (6.5 stuff might be the best way forward).

Anyway, I look forward to learning from from all the experience that is evident on this site!!IMAG0304.jpg

m715mike

Howdy from just north of Houston.

Congratulations on your newly acquired truck and a successful road trip across the country. That is awesome!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard and we can both soon say, "I have slept with an ambulance". Your ambulance is better than my ambulance by 4 years and 2 tires. My 1010 is in new hands now but we had such a great time I know you'll enjoy yours. Any idea what the minimum configuration is in Florida to register as an RV? I've read something about having a toilet, shower and containment but would really dig seeing the Florida facts posted.

The info online is juicy with some you'ltube video's, old sales adds and a few articles. My search term was ""1990 chev military ambulance"" and a trick is to click on images. A bunch of photo's show up and you can "Visit Page" to quickly find references. Lots of old sales adds listed and I'm still seeing LSSV and CUCV II pop up so still need to nail down that category.

It appears this one sold back in 2013.

http://militaryvehicleweb.com/vehicle/chevrolet-cheyenne-4wd-military-ambulance/

"""""This 1990 Chevrolet Cheyenne 3500 4×4 diesel 1-ton dually military ambulance truck is a unique and rare vehicle, with an incredibly low 454 actual miles. It is to all intents and purposes a brand-new truck.
It was purchased from a Government auction. It had been in storage for several years at the Marine Corps Base in Camp Pendleton near San Diego. It had never seen active duty and was only driven for short distances around the base, hence the amazingly low miles.
It came with a government sticker showing the original purchase price of $37,409. It’s powered by a 6.2 liter diesel engine and an automatic transmission, and factory-equipped with four wheel drive."""""

Flat Ernie

Welcome aboard and we can both soon say, "I have slept with an ambulance".
Oh, I've slept in this one plenty! For now, it's got a 1.5" twin size memory foam mattress topper I fold over onto one of the lower litter racks. Eventually, it'll get a slide out bed.

Any idea what the minimum configuration is in Florida to register as an RV? I've read something about having a toilet, shower and containment but would really dig seeing the Florida facts posted.
I've heard all of that...and I've heard just 110 shore power hook-ups - I haven't checked to be honest. I'm simply going to get mine to the point I've got power (I've got all major components for shore power, inverter, and generator), propane cooktop, and basic water. Once i have power, I have fridge & AC. With that much, and possibly a porta-potty, I don't see how they can refuse...but it is the DMV!

The info online is juicy with some you'ltube video's, old sales adds and a few articles. My search term was ""1990 chev military ambulance"" and a trick is to click on images. A bunch of photo's show up and you can "Visit Page" to quickly find references. Lots of old sales adds listed and I'm still seeing LSSV and CUCV II pop up so still need to nail down that category.
Yes, most I've found are CUCV or older stuff...as I mentioned, I've only found 3 others and they were also SeaBee Field Ambulances...so might've been a very low-volume contract.

Yep, mine had almost 10 times the mileage! ;) Haha! Saw this one and one other. There's also a pic of an orange one floating around the interweb somewhere.

Been helping my 15yr old son with his first-car project ('35 Ford Pickup), so haven't had time to work on the ambulance much lately...need to get on it - would like to take a short trip end of next month in it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks