• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy in our nations's capital

lthairdog

Greetings from Washington, DC. I'm a proud M1009 owner living in our nation's capital.

Last fall I was toying with the idea of buying a CUCV sooner or later. While doing some research, ran across SS and GL websites. I was just in time for the next GL auction with CUCV's at Ft. Meade. Since Meade is only about 25 miles away from my house, how could I resist?? The wife had no problem resisiting, so it took more than a little convincing. After a quick preview, I bid and won.

After the typical first time EUC delay (auction ended 9/30/10), I picked it up on 12/14/10. The first two pics are loading it up at Ft. Meade with the help of my Dad who came down from PA. The third pic is downloading it at the homestead in NE DC. It started up w/ a jump from the GL guy and started up again at home, unassisted.

I got it titled at DC DMV which went suprisingly smoothly. In and out in 45 minutes. I contacted the DMV ahead of time, via email and asked if they would accept an SF 97. Their repsonse was that an SF 97 wasn't enough. I informed GL that DC DMV needed a title after winning the auction, so they sent me a Florida "Motor Vehicle Title Reassignement Supplement" along with the SF 97. Of course the guy I dealt with at the DMV in person said, "sure we take the SF 97, no problem."

I've been waiting for warmer weather to give it the once over, before taking it to get it inpected. However, we are expecting our second child any day now, so it may be delayed a little longer.

I'd like to thank everyone on this site for all of their helpful information! I read many threads and posts all through the process, which I think made it very smooth and easy for me. I read this stinkin' site everyday now...I think I may have a problem!

Just wondering - Am I the only guy in DC w/ an MV??

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

RealCavDog

I'm betting not on being the only one ! LOL !

And Spring has sprung, so let the work begin ! And after Number 2 gets all settled in you will have a great hobby to get out of the house for a short break !

Keep the pictures coming of the progress, thats what we all love see !

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the site!

lthairdog

I travel quite a bit for work, so my wife rests easier with a German Sheperd in the house. We got him from the VA German Sheperd Rescue around the same time I won the CUCV. I can't say enough good things about him.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cucv

Hey Steve, good looking truck! Nice that it has two antenna mounts w/guards those are rare to get! Get the truck inspected and brinig it on over, there are a lot of guys around the area. Most are up at Aberdeen this week, you should get up there on Sat. if you get the chance. [thumbzup]

-D

tnttnt187

Hey lthairdog, WOW! life is good a M1009 and a new baby CONGRATS! I was born in D.C. and I'm sure no one will mess with your house when they see your truck and hear your dog. good luck with all your newbies. Tom

Katahdin

25 miles, isn't that like a three hour drive? :smile:

I went to school at AU, was on campus there for 3 years, then lived on Mass Ave for a year, then outside the beltway in Lorton for a year. Nice score, congrats on your purchase.

mikey

Welcome to the site, nice truck and nice dog...

I loved DC when I was stationed at Quantico... Georgetown, The Brickskeller (18 and M I think), the zoo, the museums, the monuments, movies at union station.... Man DC is definitely one of my favorite cities in the US... There was nothing as awesome as driving from monument to monument on a nice summer night with the top down on the jeep....

lthairdog

25 miles, isn't that like a three hour drive? :smile:

I went to school at AU, was on campus there for 3 years, then lived on Mass Ave for a year, then outside the beltway in Lorton for a year. Nice score, congrats on your purchase.

3 hour commutes are why I live in the District...I'd end up road raging someone if I had to drive in everyday. BTW, my wife is an AU alum...class of '96.

Katahdin

Small world! She was a year ahead of me then. Interesting story, you may have heard there's unexploded ordinance buried on the AU campus. When your wife and I was there someone noticed a shell sticking up out of the ground on the edge of a commuter parking lot. Campus security was notified, shows up, picks up the shell and proceeded to bring it to the security office----at the center of campus! Knuckle heads... I witnessed the bomb squad show up just as I was stepping off the Tenleytown campus shuttle.

Mikey, I celebrated my 21st birthday at the Brikskeller, one of the places that I remember anyway. Here's the beer list then: :)

mikey

Small world! She was a year ahead of me then. Interesting story, you may have heard there's unexploded ordinance buried on the AU campus. When your wife and I was there someone noticed a shell sticking up out of the ground on the edge of a commuter parking lot. Campus security was notified, shows up, picks up the shell and proceeded to bring it to the security office----at the center of campus! Knuckle heads... I witnessed the bomb squad show up just as I was stepping off the Tenleytown campus shuttle.

Mikey, I celebrated my 21st birthday at the Brikskeller, one of the places that I remember anyway. Here's the beer list then: :)
we just about crossed paths. I was at Quantico 90-93 and at the Brickskeller practically every fri/sat with my high school buddy (small world) who was studying at AU at the time... he would have been class of 93...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks