• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy in Tennessee with a couple questions

2wheels70

Thinking about an m998 purchase from a private owner
He purchased it from gov planet last year
My question is if I decide to sell or otherwise dispose of it in the future how thorough must I be on the potential purchaser?
Obviously I'm not interested in anyone shouting Allah snackbar etc but I would like to know if there is documentation somewhere outlining my liability in the transaction
Just trying to cover the bases
Thanks in advance and yep it's pretty **** cold here in TN today

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thinking about an m998 purchase from a private owner
He purchased it from gov planet last year
My question is if I decide to sell or otherwise dispose of it in the future how thorough must I be on the potential purchaser?
Obviously I'm not interested in anyone shouting Allah snackbar etc but I would like to know if there is documentation somewhere outlining my liability in the transaction
Just trying to cover the bases
Thanks in advance and yep it's pretty **** cold here in TN today
No different than a normal car buying transaction.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

2wheels70

Really?
Was under the impression that I had to have a purchaser sign a couple of forms at the very least pertaining to the rules of ownership like no export American citizens only etc
Man I'm purchasing from makes it sound like a bit of an ordeal tracking who it goes to
I myself am looking to just have fun with it and transfer the already road legal title to myself in my state
May seem like I'm over thinking this but I'm just trying to be as informed on this as possible
Original purchaser must pass a background check so I'd find it odd that subsequent owners would not be required anything similar

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No different than a normal car buying transaction.

Well not really since it has a End User Certificate , the original purchaser is suppose to keep records of who they sold it to and notify the purchaser of the term of the EUC . These records are suppose to be kept for all resales.
swbradley has had the government actually check wanting to know about a scrapped trailer , there used to be a thread on it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really?
Was under the impression that I had to have a purchaser sign a couple of forms at the very least pertaining to the rules of ownership like no export American citizens only etc
Man I'm purchasing from makes it sound like a bit of an ordeal tracking who it goes to
I myself am looking to just have fun with it and transfer the already road legal title to myself in my state
It's on the internet it must be true .
Read up on government End User Certificates.

2wheels70

Yeah internet info trumps all else lol
Will look into those EUC forms
I did try an internet search based on hmmwv private sales rules and regulations but found no good info
Thank you!

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It is a normal car buying experience thru a private seller. Especially if you are going to title it in TN. TN reissues the title as a an AM General truck or SUV generally. He should retain a bill of sale for his own records anyways so that covers his basis of who he sold it.

4. When USML/CCLI property is transferred, the information in this form regarding the above laws and regulations must be passed to the subsequentpurchaser/receiver. Records of Resale in buyer's possession should be available for Trade Security Controls Office review, if requested.

TN does not have any issues titling them as a on road vehicle. We ran over 70 M996 and M998s thru the TN system in the last 6 months

2wheels70

That's great to hear!
I only know of one other privately owned m998 in my area that is currently tagged
I'm sure there are others
Mine should be on it's way to me now
I checked it out the other day.
Seems fully functional if not exactly tip top shape
Should be usable while I go over things and I'm fairly excited to get one
Fairly certain the transaction will go well unless there's some issue with it upon final inspection

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
There is a guy in Pegram that has one. One in Dickson and one in Hermitage that I know about.

Member TNRiverJet lives on the west side of Nashville in Bellevue, he is truckless at the moment. Few other LMTV and 5 ton folks in Nashville though.

2wheels70

That's great to hear .Was hoping there were at least a few owners nearby
I'm just south of Clarksville in springfield
I was actually looking at some old m880s as I'm an old Dodge kinda guy
Thought I'd build one for trail use but keep the military history as is
Then one day I saw they were selling the m998s and figured that's about as trail ready as I could get
The only issues with one versus an m1008/9 or m880 will be quick parts availability
Im fairly mechanically inclined so hoping with info I can make any necessary repairs etc with relative ease

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That's great to hear .Was hoping there were at least a few owners nearby
I'm just south of Clarksville in springfield
I was actually looking at some old m880s as I'm an old Dodge kinda guy
Thought I'd build one for trail use but keep the military history as is
Then one day I saw they were selling the m998s and figured that's about as trail ready as I could get
The only issues with one versus an m1008/9 or m880 will be quick parts availability
Im fairly mechanically inclined so hoping with info I can make any necessary repairs etc with relative ease
We have some HMMWV parts in Cookeville TN off exit 288.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, just catching up on my reading here. It sounds like the truck is in your possession. We like photos around here, so please post some pics of your snow run!

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i tagged my M936 here in knoxville and there were no "restrictions" or rules on future sales, none from iron planet and none expressed by Tn. ..i.e. foreign/overseas sales being the most likely.

dmetalmiki

humph!..It is getting to be pain in the whatsit...No, not getting, GOT!
We, in the U.K. can no longer buy such ex-military heavy battle equipment.....like......wheel nuts, spares, or windscreen wipers etc!
And that is from established dealers like REOMIE.
The hobby is now really under threat. (and) methinks, Sadly, ours is the 'last generation' ( to be able ) to enjoy it.

computer54

I know it was cold here but now it 60 so think some one is missing with us in TN. . I have a CUCV 2 and rund good before the snow and now it well not start, battery good and glow plug light up and was replaced last year. So I have been getting rides to work and back and Monday well be working on it part of the day too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks