• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy Just Bought a M101A2!

Kelzamos

Hello Men,
Yesterday I won this 1991 Kasel Mfg. M101A2 from Government Liquidations. This morning,I submitted the EUC and received confirmation of receipt a short time later. This afternoon, my credit card was billed for the purchase, buyer’s premium, and tax. So far, this entire process has been painless due to the information and time that you, the members of Steel Soldiers, have donated here. My trailer is located in Indianapolis and I have every intention of pulling it home behind my 04 Silverado ¾ ton HD. If there are troubles with tire conditions, stuck parking brakes, bad bearings, etc., I’m not concerned. I have poured over the information that you guys have provided and am confident in my endeavor. Plan B is the U Haul dealer located close by the Indy location. This weekend, I am going to seek out the necessary pintle hitch and receiver adapter. Magnetic towing lights with bailing wire or zip ties will be used for lighting. The trip is just over three hours from my home. Since buying a 1948 CJ2A Willys, I have sworn off horse-trading old cars and sold my cartrailer to fund the new trailer. My young sons are very excited about the trailer purchase, as is my wife whose father served in the Gulf War and retired from the National Guard. We can’t wait for him to see the trailer and will stop to show it to him, as he is halfway between our home and Indy. We hope the EUC comes back before Christmas! I will update as we progress. Thanks again for all of the advice. By the way, the tan ones do sell cheaper than the green ones! armytrailer1.jpgarmytrailer2.jpgarmytrailer3.jpgarmytrailer4.jpgarmytrailer5.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats and welcome to Steel Soldiers. I can tell from your post that you have invested many hours of reading to bring you up to speed on these trailers. You will be well rewarded with a save recovery as you are quite prepared. Love the pics and I know you will love the trailer. Keep us posted!

KaiserM109

The M101 trailers are nice! I have an A1 (5 lug wheels, no surge brakes) that I put 5 on 5 1/2 spindles on to match my Bronco. I also own an A2 that I’m going to pick up in TX in November.

They are rated for 3/4 ton off road which equates to 1.5 ton on the highway. Pulling 3000 lb. takes a good towing vehicle, better than my Original Bronco. You have surge brakes which are good, BUT don't expect them to work without some serious maintenance. I have a unit to put on my 101A1, but the brake cylinder in it is shot.

Yours appears to have the 'peg leg' on the back. It might need some cleaning and greasing. Many, like 101A1, have lost the center part. I think, but don’t know, that there is something that is supposed to keep it from unscrewing all the way.

Did you know that if you pull the pins on the frame at the front of the box, chock the wheels and backup, it will tip backwards and dump?

Have fun, be safe.

MarcusOReallyus

They are rated for 3/4 ton off road which equates to 1.5 ton on the highway.

The 101A2 is rated 1500 off road, 2250 on the highway. Don't know about the other models.

I've loaded it heavier, mind you, with no problems, but that's the official rating on the data plate.

Kelzamos

Thanks a lot guys. We are going to use the trailer for general hauling and a possible camping trip. I'm not sure what to do with the electrical yet but have read plenty on the subject here to know I have more options than to just rip and replace! If the trailer has any major safety issues, it will be trailered home. I just like the idea of towing it home if possible. I have a trailer lined up in Indy if I need it when and if the day ever comes. I believe that all the trailers in the Indy auction required the EUC. I have seen other threads where it was not required. I don't mind. This is my first GL auction and it sure won't be my last. I can't say that I have O.D. disease though because mine is Dessert Tan! Thanks again and I'll post updates as they happen.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
EUC clearance time seems to change more rapidly than the weather. I think your Christmas expectation is fair but don't be surprised if you have it by Thanksgiving.

100acre

Welcome to the show! If you're gonna tow it with a commercial pintle hitch, go to northern tool, not only is the plate you bolt the pintle to longer/taller than other manufacturers but it is also cheaper than tractor supply which also has a shorter plate that's more expensive. Hope that helps use schedule 8 nuts and bolts too.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like it has new lights, so it was probably PM'd for turn in. You should have no problem towing it home, but I would take off the cover for better gas mileage. I use Gorilla tape to help secure the magnetic lights on the bottom frame of the tailgate, right next to the reflectors.

I see the DRMO vandals tagged your trailer - I hate it when they do that. Why can't they spray paint the metal body where it's easy to paint over? Anyway, a nice trailer that you should find very handy. I use mine for Home Depot and Farm Co-Op runs, hauling my Rancher 4-wheeler to the lease, yard work, pasture cleanup, etc. Plan on making some camping trips with it next year.

jbmilart

I'm a newbie here too... just bought my first M101A3 trailer on 22 August from GL. Congrats on your new trailer! The EUC dept. has my paperwork (08/23) but haven't sent it to Battle Creek yet. I'm "hoping" to hear from them after Labor Day... that everything's okay with the EUC paperwork and will be sending it forward to BC shortly.
I've just bought a spare tire and rim for the trailer... 16.5, 8 lug rim w/ run flat tire for 125 bucks. (Hope I didn't pay too much) Looking for some different ways to attach the spare to the trailer.
These guys on this forum are really great and will always try to help all us "newbies" with our many questions pertaining to the world of the MV's! Welcome aboard Kelzamos...!

Kelzamos

Thanks a lot guys for the tips and info! Harleyhouse, love yours. Ordered the required pintle and adapter from Northern as they do seem to have the best deal and I surfed for a discount code and got free shipping! Thanks to 100acrehuphalump for the tip! Right now I have the EUC revision blues. Years of college and it feels like I filled out my EUC in Crayon! Fingers crossed. Onward and hold position!

Kelzamos

Just picked it up from Indy today! Had a great experience with the staff and got some help loading from an Ohio man who was also picking one up. Here is the breakdown on my EUC. This is my first one! Pics and details will post soon. Thanks again, men. Great experience!
EUC Status history:
StatusDate
Submission of EUC Pending08/29/2013
EUC revisions requested from Customer09/04/2013
EUC sent to Battle Creek09/06/2013
Customer Notified09/17/2013

jbmilart

Congrats there Kelzamos! I'm still waiting on my EUC to clear.

Auction won 08/22/2013
EUC submitted 08/23/2013
EUC revision and submitted 08/30/2013
EUC sent to Battle Creek 09/10/2013

This waiting for the EUC paperwork to clear is driving me... NUTS! But I'm really glad that somebody is getting their stuff in a... "timely"... manner.

Kelzamos

:tank:" Looks like you have time to buy a few more and meet the Christmas deadline. " Thanks, Recovry4x4, that made my day! jbmilart, I'm hoping you get yours back soon. leo4x4, I have spent hours upon hours on this site and have not made a dent in the amount of reading available here! I sent off my SF97 request yesterday and had to verify the vin today. It seems my vin is going to start with "US ARMY" according to the nice GL rep! The trailer pulled like a dream and gave no trouble. It was nice to pull a trailer that I didn't have to worry about being wider than my rig. I found paperwork in the trailer that showed it had originated in Springfield IL which is about 40 minutes from my house. Indianapolis, my trailer was located, is about three and a half hours away. Go figure. I did find the unit it belonged to so I googled them. In my estimate, they are heroes! My boys plan to camp out in it this weekend and it seems to have become their fort for playing war. Oh well. Plans are to keep it bone stock and eventually find something interesting to pull it with (Stuart Tank!). Again, I am very grateful to all of you for helping to make this such an enjoyable experience and for paying your taxes so that I could end up with such a great trailer! Kelz

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks