• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NEW Guy - Just won my M923A2 auction

RedBlok

I have been following this forum for a while. The Household Commander gave me authorization to get my Truck - 1990 BMY M923A2 with 17,800 miles. Looks like I get to drive it from Sparta Wi to Springfield Va. 980 miles of having fun.. It has been a while since I drove one back in the service, but you always had a recovery vehicle for problems. Any suggestions on must have items for my trip (limited by what I can take on the plane to Wi). I was planning on taking a GPS setup, cell phone and lots of coffee. I'll post pictures of my trip. Also - any advice on the CTIS. I don't plan to mess with it

Thanks

RedBlok

Chief_919

I have been following this forum for a while. The Household Commander gave me authorization to get my Truck - 1990 BMY M923A2 with 17,800 miles. Looks like I get to drive it from Sparta Wi to Springfield Va. 980 miles of having fun.. It has been a while since I drove one back in the service, but you always had a recovery vehicle for problems. Any suggestions on must have items for my trip (limited by what I can take on the plane to Wi). I was planning on taking a GPS setup, cell phone and lots of coffee. I'll post pictures of my trip. Also - any advice on the CTIS. I don't plan to mess with it

Thanks

RedBlok
Take the cost of a plane ticket, motel rooms, food, and fuel and just have it trucked to you.

Safer, smarter, and if you avoid a hefty tow bill that would cost far, far more if you break down because you tried to go almost 1000 miles in a vehicle you now nothing about and have no clue if it is even in any kind of shape to make the run.

I won't even go into the hazards of driving a vehicle that requires a CDL and stops at weigh stations across that many states with no valid license plates, registration or inspection.

RedBlok

Chief 919 - good advice - do you know what a decent rate should be? I got one quote for over $3200 today, way more than plane, motel, food and fuel. Seth at GL in Sparta had a couple of guys I need to call on monday. Interesting enough, Virginia does not require a CDL for it and the VA State police said with a VA Trip Permit I should be ok. Again - Thanks for the advice

Chief_919

Chief 919 - good advice - do you know what a decent rate should be? I got one quote for over $3200 today, way more than plane, motel, food and fuel. Seth at GL in Sparta had a couple of guys I need to call on monday. Interesting enough, Virginia does not require a CDL for it and the VA State police said with a VA Trip Permit I should be ok. Again - Thanks for the advice
VA may not require a CDL, but remember you will pass through other states and must also meet Federal requirements. If that is the case about VA they are a rare exception.

Ask in the transportation section here, and post on uship.com.

$3200 is a lot cheaper than a tow bill, storage and repairs for a vehicle that size or, heaven forbid, the lawsuit that comes if the brakes you have no clue about the condition of fail or a wheel bearing fails and somebody gets hurt in the ensuing accident. But you should be able to get it down a good deal lower.

RedBlok

Thanks - I found Jeff's contact information and will try to work with him . I am also trying to see if DataDawg want to split the shipping and have them trucked together.

I appreciate the help.

DeucesWild11

She looks great, but I would be nervous driving that far, but then again it would be and adventure. I never realized how big they are until I saw one next to a deuce.. Best of luck getting her back home which ever way you decide on and welcome to the addiction, before you know it you'll be bidding on trailers and generations, basically anything starting with an "M"..

Jeepsinker

Take a 9/16 wrench to disconnect ctis at the wheels. In fact, take a set of wrenches from 5/16 all the way up to one inch. That will let you deal with it. Also bring a valve stem tool, an air hose and tire chuck with a gladhand connector, a crescent wrench, and a 32 oz. ball pein hammer. Trust me on the hammer. I'm in the middle of recovering 18 900 series trucks right now. The crescent wrench needs to be a 12 inch wrench.

tcruwithme

I bought a duce two years ago from a guy in NC and had it shipped from NC to MN for $1500. I used a company called All Day Auto Transport and you can contact them at 754-229-2434 ext 1001. Ask for Jenna. They are a transportation broker. So they post your project to their network of haulers and someone picks it up. When you talk to them, they ask for the make, model, and weight of the vehicle. Make sure you also give them dimensions and a photo. Good luck. I agree with the idea of shipping it rather than driving it that far.

RedBlok

Thanks for the info. I will call Jenna. Looks like Datadawg and I gonna partner up and have them transported together, hopefully we can get a really good rate

RedBlok

Thanks for all the advice. Datadawg and I were able to partner up and split the shipping. JRMartin transportation hooked us up with a great price. Truck should be here Oct 19 in the evening. Jeff Laumer, SS member and local Sparta Wi Mechanic did a great job helping us out. He gave a great detailed post bid inspection and made suggestions on a few minor repairs. Looking forward to having the beast sitting in the driveway this evening. I will post pictures once it is delivered. Glad the site is back up.

KaiserM109

If you drove one of these trucks in the service, you are probably one of the most qualified drivers to do a recovery. One point Chief_919 makes that I have to echo is that the cost of driving/flying to get it, fuel cost ( 10 MPG and $3.75/gal ) and overnight costs are significant and you need to be ready for that. Definitely compare that with having it shipped.

If you elect to get it yourself, you should have a chase vehicle. On my first recovery, which I did alone, I towed a ’69 Bronco. While driving my M923A1 from Ft. Benning, GA to Denver, CO, my wife drove an SUV.

On the trip from GA to CO two major things occurred: the engine threw a water pump belt and an outside duel blew. We found a replacement belt and used the chase car to fetch it. We ran out of time to deal with the tire and left the truck in Dublin, TX in my daughter’s back yard. If we’d have taken 1 more day, I could have changed the blown tire, but we opted to finish the trip later (in 6 weeks).

Before starting, I downloaded to a laptop all the TMs I could find on SS and it was extremely valuable; I would not have figured out how to tighten the belt without them. Without the internet I would not have been able to quickly find a replacement belt. We used a Pantech Element smart pad to get on the internet and contacted Cummins for a cross-over part number and subsequently NAPA for the part. We actually had it in-hand within an hour of pulling off the highway in Jackson, MS.

Something I didn’t learn about until I got home was that you should know about, they may have caged your brakes so that the truck can be moved dead. Google “caged air brakes” to learn about it.

One last thing, trucks from Sparta, WI appear to be in better repair than those from other places.

RedBlok

KaiserM109,

It was because of all the great input from the SS members, I elected to have the truck shipped. I also hired JBL (SS member) who is a mechanic at Ft McCoy. He checked out the truck for a small fee. He is a great guy and mechanic. I remember driving these back when i was in the service. I did like you advised and downloaded the TM's. I have been going thru them. Datadawg and I were lucky to find a good transporter at a great price.

This is a great site with really great people that are willing to share information.

Thanks

If you drove one of these trucks in the service, you are probably one of the most qualified drivers to do a recovery. One point Chief_919 makes that I have to echo is that the cost of driving/flying to get it, fuel cost ( 10 MPG and $3.75/gal ) and overnight costs are significant and you need to be ready for that. Definitely compare that with having it shipped.

If you elect to get it yourself, you should have a chase vehicle. On my first recovery, which I did alone, I towed a ’69 Bronco. While driving my M923A1 from Ft. Benning, GA to Denver, CO, my wife drove an SUV.

On the trip from GA to CO two major things occurred: the engine threw a water pump belt and an outside duel blew. We found a replacement belt and used the chase car to fetch it. We ran out of time to deal with the tire and left the truck in Dublin, TX in my daughter’s back yard. If we’d have taken 1 more day, I could have changed the blown tire, but we opted to finish the trip later (in 6 weeks).

Before starting, I downloaded to a laptop all the TMs I could find on SS and it was extremely valuable; I would not have figured out how to tighten the belt without them. Without the internet I would not have been able to quickly find a replacement belt. We used a Pantech Element smart pad to get on the internet and contacted Cummins for a cross-over part number and subsequently NAPA for the part. We actually had it in-hand within an hour of pulling off the highway in Jackson, MS.

Something I didn’t learn about until I got home was that you should know about, they may have caged your brakes so that the truck can be moved dead. Google “caged air brakes” to learn about it.

One last thing, trucks from Sparta, WI appear to be in better repair than those from other places.