• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new guy looking into a3's

st8kfinger

Boy I would listen close to what these guys are telling you, EVERYTHING is expensive on the A3 and part are not even remotely as available as they are for the A2. If your looking at a decent A3 your looking at 10K OR MORE, extremely OVERPRICED and UNDER PERFORMING! The CTIS system is a really nice concept but when you see any groups of Military trucks just look for the flat tires and you found your CTIS equiped trucks Good luck and if you go the A3 route keep your wallet very handy!
KK
thats why im here, ive noticed the ctis system is not well liked, the trucks ive looked at have had different wheels without it, seems like it would take forever to air up a 49" tire. also are the a3's not reliable? besides maintenance, fluids, and filters is their a lot i have to worry about if i do not abuse the truck?, or are they a complete nightmare?

trukhead

thats why im here, ive noticed the ctis system is not well liked, the trucks ive looked at have had different wheels without it, seems like it would take forever to air up a 49" tire. also are the a3's not reliable? besides maintenance, fluids, and filters is their a lot i have to worry about if i do not abuse the truck?, or are they a complete nightmare?
My CTIS will air a near flat up, or take all 6 wheels from 13 lbs to 45 psi in a bout 3 minutes at o engine rpms over 1500.

If you do a lot of of road the top speed isn't a factor.

come to madison wi and we can drive my A3 around the fields.:smile:

st8kfinger

My CTIS will air a near flat up, or take all 6 wheels from 13 lbs to 45 psi in a bout 3 minutes at o engine rpms over 1500.

If you do a lot of of road the top speed isn't a factor.

come to madison wi and we can drive my A3 around the fields.:smile:
i gotta go and un winterize the cabin in traverse city up soon, might have to take u up on your offer.

phil2968

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c23OcwiXRPg[/media]
Go to 1:34 seconds in this video and compare the A3 to the A2's that come after it. Just ain't my kind of truck. I don't understand why he had such a hard time with the hill and the A2 did not. Maybe a different driver could have had better results. Maybe you don't plan on off roading yours and this video may not matter to you but the A2s growling up the hill are awesome to watch!
There even better in person! Come to 12SSGR where this was filmed and see for yourself! ;) Your welcome Clinto!;)

trukhead

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c23OcwiXRPg[/media]Go to 1:34 seconds in this video and compare the A3 to the A2's that come after it. Just ain't my kind of truck. I don't understand why he had such a hard time with the hill and the A2 did not. Maybe a different driver could have had better results. Maybe you don't plan on off roading yours and this video may not matter to you but the A2s growling up the hill are awesome to watch!
There even better in person! Come to 12SSGR where this was filmed and see for yourself! ;) Your welcome Clinto!;)
yes not a n impressive showing for the A3. I think he should have deflated the tires to emergency setting, maybe done the tranny flush to get better shifting ( I have not done this yet but have heard on the forum that flushing makes it shift better) and then get it in low range and stand on that accelerator. I think he could have got 2nd gear. Remember to use a fuel additive that lubricates as well. I put in standyne lubricity and in my imagination the engine seems to have gained 50 HP, LOL:mrgreen:

I'd love to find that hill but I'd flatbead my truk there and would need help in the event of breakage.

I've decided if I move it long distances I'd just as soon hire trucks on back hauls each way, ssooo......:jumpin:

RealCavDog

Really ? 3.08 vs. 7.62 . . . 5.56 vs. .223 . . . GMC vs. Ford . . . Harley vs. Honda . . . Miller vs. Budweiser . . . Chocolate vs. Strawberry , just spread the facts and knowledge, share the wealth, and leave the 5800 A3's to those that appreciate the differences and rareness, if that don't work for you, sell it and buy one of the many more and cheaper A2"s out there ! Read my Sig Line, I wanted a nice beater, and I scored a cherry, but hate to modify a limited production piece of history ! Went to E-Pay, and of the 5 A3's listed, 3 were bobbed, So . . . How rare will these white elephants be in a few years ?

5800, minus wrecked and just plain trashed, BEFORE they hit G.L. . . . not to mention after . . . . . . bobbed, parted, wrecked . . . imagine a special edition factory retrofitted muscle car with those production numbers !

maybe I SHOULD sit on mine for a few years . . . . HMMMMMM . . . !

Last edited:

st8kfinger

will have to watch the other videos when i get home, if i had enough room i would have an a2 and a3, the people next door will have a fit about just 1, oh well. the more i look into m35's i want the a3, probably for the wrong reason's, but if im not happy im sure i will not loose much money on the deal, and a2's are less expensive so i can get another one. after just learning their were only 5800 a3's made that makes me feel kinda bad about wanting a bobbed one.

RealCavDog

Sorry for the misquote ! I should have said less than 5600, at least that is what I have found out so far.

If there is any new information on this, it would be great to know ! :beer:

lawdog1623

my m35a2 starts right up no matter what the temp. I got a heckuva deal. Having said that, i wouldnt have an a3. A buddy of mine has an a2, a3 and an m813. The a3 is a problem child. Hard to start, tempermental, horrible mpg compared to the a2 and i was totally surpirsed at the lack of power. The first thing that went wrong with his was the injector. Then the injector pump. Then he started having problems with the fuel lines leaking. On and On and On. My truck runs circles around the a3. GO WITH AN A2. If you want an a3 just to have one and you have the money, feel free. If you want it it to be relatively cheap to fix. You better go with an a2

st8kfinger

my m35a2 starts right up no matter what the temp. I got a heckuva deal. Having said that, i wouldnt have an a3. A buddy of mine has an a2, a3 and an m813. The a3 is a problem child. Hard to start, tempermental, horrible mpg compared to the a2 and i was totally surpirsed at the lack of power. The first thing that went wrong with his was the injector. Then the injector pump. Then he started having problems with the fuel lines leaking. On and On and On. My truck runs circles around the a3. GO WITH AN A2. If you want an a3 just to have one and you have the money, feel free. If you want it it to be relatively cheap to fix. You better go with an a2
thanks for the input, mpg's are worse, i figured it would be he other way around but thats why im here. i do not want the a3 just to have one, the auto trans is a big selling point, i would drive an a2 just not nearly as much as i would an a3, im a really old 30 year old with arthritis lol. my choice between a a2 or a3 is probably gonna end up being witch ever i can find with the best price/truck.

flighht2k5

Banned
Those issues will never happen on an a2?

jaymcb

I guess for number of miles I'm driving my a3 per year 8-10 didn't make as much of a dent next to 10-12.

I have, however, been underwhelmed about the power (though granted, my 109 body adds a bit of weight vs an M35).

Filters and a transyn fluid change coming once the weather gets a little warmer, and we'll see if it improves.

My A3 has less than 1300 original miles according to the clock, hours meter and the fact that the stickers were still on the motor when I bought it at 460 miles. It did run 400 miles home at 50MPH no problem when I recovered it.

lawdog1623

I guess for number of miles I'm driving my a3 per year 8-10 didn't make as much of a dent next to 10-12.

I have, however, been underwhelmed about the power (though granted, my 109 body adds a bit of weight vs an M35).

Filters and a transyn fluid change coming once the weather gets a little warmer, and we'll see if it improves.

My A3 has less than 1300 original miles according to the clock, hours meter and the fact that the stickers were still on the motor when I bought it at 460 miles. It did run 400 miles home at 50MPH no problem when I recovered it.
the mileage on the current a3's is the amazing part. nearly every one that i have seen on gov liquidation has been in phenomenal shape and has low low miles on it. it seems to me that if you find one in running condition, its gonna be relatively clean and have really low miles on them. I think the reason every one steers clear is because of the prospective repair costs when compared to an a2. I would like to find one with low miles just to have it. I wont be buying anything else until im done with the complete restoration of this a2.