• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new guy looking into a3's

st8kfinger

im not for sure but you can buy motor & trans parts for the a3 at a "store"? if so that would help me if something broke, not cheaper but easier to get if im on the side of the road, but hopefully i do not get a "lemon" with either the a2/3. im not afraid of turning a wrench but i only like to fix things once and i also plan on trying to put together some kind of list of parts that are known to fail and have them just in case (possibly even with the truck at all times), for an a2 or a3, with something i can not buy parts for at autozone and not being familiar with i want to be prepared & im not afraid to spend a little $. i have also been reading about guys "hot rodding" their deuces and lack of power from either truck seems like a weekend project.... i have a water/meth injection kit i bought and never used...

trukhead

I would bob an A2 whistler (C-turbo). That truck is more of a hot rod than the A3.

I think the A3 is too slow to be much fun as a bob.

Maybe with 4.90 gears it would be fun as a bob. 2 sets of gears instead of 3 so that's a considerable savings and you have some spare wheels.

Thanks
Dennis2cents

lawdog1623

im certainly not saying those issues will never happen, but it seems that the a2 has less inherent spending requirements when it comes to repairs. i was just saying that in my experience ive seen an a3 that is considerably more problematic than the other two a2's i have experience with...its just my opinion. i wouldnt mind having an a3 becaus3 i am also not opposed to spending money on my military vehicles. you really cant go wrong with any of them...each seem to have their inherent strong and weak points. i am not a fan of bobbing these trucks at all though...call me a purist hahaha

Hoefler

I have two A3's and and A2. One of the A3'w has the big Goodyears on her. Both of them have lock out hubs on them too. A2 is all stock and runs sweet-heck they all do. Both A3's start better in the cold-one of them starts below 20 degrees with a short shot of ether. I like the power steering and the automatic transmission (live in a city). One had filter line leakage issue-fixed it by replacing all the O-rings for less than 15 bucks. Both had front end shaky-put the best set of tires on the front and pomped em up. CTIS-dont use it-never turn it on. Tires hold air, trucks dont leak, transmission have been flushed and shift nice. One of the A3's is actually faster than the other and starts at barely a hint of turning on the starter. A3 has back up lights that work great-wipers work well (put a long set of them on one of them) Heaters in both-they work well in Minnesota-drove the trucks all winter long although we had a mild winter up here. A3 has a dual circuit brake system- a safety plus.
A2-love it. Drives arrow straight and has better site lines when looking down the hood. Seat not as good as A3. About the only I dont like about the A2 is having to start out in granny gear at a stop light. Takes awhile to get her rolling through an intersection-and the lack of power steering is not so good. I have arthritus in shoulders-thats why I picked up the A3.
Have recently purchased a super low mile blown head gasket A3 that I am robbing parts off that will find their way to the A2-things like power steering, electric wipers, better seat and the drop side box. I plan on putting a set of A3 wheels and tires on her too along with an olive drab paint job.
I find the comments here a little like Ford better than Chevy. People tend to brag up A2's simply by ripping the A3. Both trucks are great and the most fun toy you will have-either one will simply be funner than the other. Its all preference. If you have arthritus-this Doc prescibes an A3 and more cowbell.
Pete

Attachments

3dAngus

My first deuce was an A3. I even read all the comments where the A2 was better overall. I didn't care. I wanted the PS and Auto tranny. I got a beauty and was proud of my buy.

It didn't take long to start the true realization of what the majority says. Long story short I sold the A3 then bought an A2. Cant put into words the comparison of driving a big machine down the road and being able to go thru the gears. You just "feel it" so much better and might even find yourself smiling or even laughing uncontrollably while looking over your shoulder to see if anyone might have caught this guy laughing with glee for no apparent reason.

I still like the A3 and would't mind having another but the A2 is a must have where the A3 is a luxory toy. And if bobbing anything it might be a little self defeating to Bob an automatic. The only way to go with a Bobber is with a manual and preferably with winch.

Opinions vary of course but that's mine and with my experience at owning both and driving both my findings are that the majority opinions here are right on the money. Go with the A2.

Last edited:

RealCavDog

My first deuce was an A3. I even read all the comments where the A2 was better overall. I didn't care. I wanted the PS and Auto tranny. I got a beauty and was proud of my buy.

It didn't take long to start the true realization of what the majority says. Long story short I sold the A3 then bought an A2. Cant put into words the comparison of driving a big machine down the road and being able to go thru the gears. You just "feel it" so much better and might even find yourself smiling or even laughing uncontrollably while looking over your shoulder to see if anyone might have caught this guy laughing with glee for no apparent reason.

I still like the A3 and would't mind having another but the A2 is a must have where the A3 is a luxory toy. And if bobbing anything it might be a little self defeating to Bob an automatic. The only way to go with a Bobber is with a manual and preferably with winch.

Opinions vary of course but that's mine and with my experience at owning both and driving both my findings are that the majority opinions here are right on the money. Go with the A2.

EXACTLY ! I tend to agree with Hoefler also though ! My first is an incredible example of a cherry A3, but I got carried away when I started shopping for one ! One of the last couple hundred made, and spent its life sitting on an airstrip ! When Glen and I picked it up, he went end to end underneath, and found NO mud and had to get to the very rear to find a small mud dauber nest !

Fired right up, faster now, builds air fast and holds it for a couple days if I dont drain the tanks, C.T.I.S. works, runs great, heck, read the thread from 91W350, or mine ! Drove it from Ft. Riley to Joplin at about 12 MPG and about 47-50 MPH, so another gear would be great ! Drive it all around town, and jumps through intersections ! Had to fix a wheel seal/quad ring issue, but once you do one, not a big deal ! Tires don't leak air and NO leaks of any kind after the quad ring fix. Need to do the Transyn conversion if I keep it, but leaving it original in case I sell it. Only thing I needed to add was a hardtop, to make it a "both tops" truck, a boarding ladder, and add some rifle cab mounts !

Luxury version is the perfect description, and if I could afford both, I would never consider letting mine go, and if things get a bit better faster, I will keep it, but bobbed or not, I need a winched, heated, multifuel, so only the summer finances will tell the tale !

Let the beatings continue, and I will have to agree, I have seen many A3s that depending on where they were stationed, are totally thrashed pieces of junk, as with any equipment. Had several get hauled from down south up to here, and ALL the C.T.I.S. was bypassed and gutted, the air steering was bypassed and they just were not appreciated or maintained as new, so what do you think they were going to end up looking like ?

Have seen MANY A2s the same way, but the pure volume of them makes it far easier to find a nice one, its all about the odds and numbers !

I loved all my old 67-72 GMC and Chevy trucks, cheap and easy to work on, but no way on this green earth I would ever downgrade my C-3 as not a nicer truck, and its 11 years old and 165K ! Is it more expensive to repair, yes, to maintain, not by much !

You get what you inspect and pay for, and you keep what you take care of and maintain !

timmmaaa06

Looking for a deuce near illinois to test drive and feel

Hey I just bought a m37 and I really wanted a deuce I took one for a spin in ohio and needed a little time to think about it does any one know of one I can take for a spin close to Illinois or Indiana or so to really make up my mind I have gotten use to driving the m37 and want to feel the deuce before I decide to get one thank you for your help also how long are they usually when bobbed?

lawdog1623

man, i saw a beautiful low mileage m35a3 down at red river parts in texas....theyre a little pricey though...itll be a while before i get one of those

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks