• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy. need advice on what trailer to get

Lablover

I drifted in here yesterday and I flipped. Now I know what I feel is normal after looking at so many pics and posts.

I need some basic advice on what trailer to get to tow behind my Ford F-150. Just a stock supercrew 4x4. My daily driver and weekend warrior. For my first project I want a general purpose trailer that can be used for deer camp, camping in general and hauling stuff when needed.

About a year ago I fell in love with a Pioneer tool trailer first time I saw it. I have been looking at military trailers since.

I came to the conclusion I need to get an M101 or smaller. I realize there is an A1 and A2 version but do not know the differences. There is an A1 near me coming up for sale. But regardless once I decide what I need I will find a way to get it. I have all kinds of ideas on how I can rig and modify this trailer. I also see it as a great project for my 12 year old daughter to do with me.

So is the M101 a good choice for my truck to pull?

Also, I want simple to start with, I have zero experience with Mil spec stuff. It appears to me the M101 does not have any hydraulic or surge brakes on it, that would be good for me.

Then I have to haul one home. I think I saw that the trailer hitch is about 30 inches high to be level. I will go measure how high my current hitch ball is coming straight back from my truck, but obviously I will need a pintle hitch and prefer to be close to level. Do you guys have a prefered brand or set up for this?

Help me with this new illness. I love this web site and have already seen so many things I had no clue about. I will never be a bad as you guys.

Thanks

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Biggest differences between the A1 and A1 are the wheels/tires and surge brakes.
A1's DONT have surge brakes, and have the old NDCC type tires, and rims which are compatible with the M37's. A2's have surge brakes and CUCV 8 bolt type rims with "civy" tires.

Any 101 will pull nicely behind your Ford, but dont go any bigger with the M105 series trailer. It's too big and heavy, and has air brakes.

If you can find a M101A2, that would be better than the A1, but you'll be fine with that also.

Lablover

Thanks for the input.

The one I am looking at has a 5 bolt pattern on the wheel and I noticed the larger 105's had 8, so I assumed having 8 meant it was a 105. Now I get the difference.

One more question: I saw that the inside width of a 101 is 66" and I think I saw a post in here that said to take off 10" for each wheel well to get the distance between wheel wells. So it would be roughly 46" between the wheel wells adn 66" over and around them.

Does that sound right?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The larger M105 has a 6 lug pattern and a 9' box. I would go to the Technical Manual section and dowload TM 9-2330-202-14&P. It won't be available for about 15 minutes as I'm uploading it now. That will give you some ideas. It would be the best trailer for your F150.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is another consideration but you would pay out the wazoo for this one is the M101A3. Instead of having just 8 lug stuff, it has the suspension configured differently and has HMMWV wheels and tires with runflats on it. Way cool trailer and folks usually snatch them up.

acetomatoco

If you have a receiver hitch on your pickup you can get a adaptor for a pintle hook which lets you raise or lower the hook to your needs...has about 4 sets of bolt holes.. (about $75 at your NAPA truck store) I have used one successfully for 20 years and towed a M101 and M101A2 styles and M416 with ease with the Crown Victoria and the CUCV.. and a F150... you will have to adapt the lights and put 12 volt bulbs in them...the A2 is the better choice for civvy folks cuz it has the surge brakes and 8 bolt chevvy wheels.. You can put a surge brake axle under your M101 at some later point as all the stuff including the surge brake controller is a bolt on....

ojsdna744

For weekend use for general purpose hauling, the 101 will fit the bill nicely. I've got a 101A1 version and use it constantly behind my CUCV Blazer or my 1500 Ram. I'm probably going to put radial tires on it eventually. I have a cover for it and it's great for stuffing full of stuff for camping or anything else. No worries about stuff blowing out! :) Another nice thing about the smaller 101 trailer is that you can hook it up or disconnect it by yourself. (and roll it around by yourself)

My 105 takes a lot of planning when parking it or hooking it up. It way to heavy to push around except on a flat/even surface. It's a great trailer too, but IMHO it's best left to the truck it was designed for, my M35!!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I guess you guys missed it. "I will never be a bad as you guys." I would be willing to bet that down the road, you end up with a vehicle. :)

Lablover

gimpyrobb said:
I guess you guys missed it. "I will never be a bad as you guys." I would be willing to bet that down the road, you end up with a vehicle. :)
Yeah, I had to take a shot. So now my plan is to get that A1 then down the road I will get an A2. Of course I would like to have a Pioneer trailer that we might just leave down where we hunt as secured storage. The barn gets pilfered too much by local felons. Big talk for a guy with nothin' yet.

I appreciate all the quick responses. Does not surprise me though. After reading a ton of posts last night I could tell this was the kind of site I would like to hang out at.

We have covered trailer model, wheels, hitch, electrical, A1 vs A2, the 105 is even heavier than it looks, only general thing left is to ask about those tires on the A1. I guess they will run loud and bumpy on pavement but do well on uneven terrain. What in the hell do you do if one goes flat? That seems to be the big weakness since none of my spares for truck or boat trailer will work on it.

Lablover

Recovry4x4 said:
The larger M105 has a 6 lug pattern and a 9' box. I would go to the Technical Manual section and dowload TM 9-2330-202-14&P. It won't be available for about 15 minutes as I'm uploading it now. That will give you some ideas. It would be the best trailer for your F150.
Got it. Wow, I didn't see that section yesterday. Tons of info. But 300 plus pages on a trailer is kind of funny.

15 minutes? It only took me a few seconds to upload it. If I knew you better I would make some jokes.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It takes me a while to get all the info posted for the upload. Actual upload time for me was 2 minutes because I'm on a dsl line.

Lablover

CCATLETT1984 said:
FYI, you just downloaded it from the site, it takes way longer to upload a file to the site and then get it approved.
I am a dork. I guess I was distracted by all the pics and info in here, didn't even notice he posted he was UPloading it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks