• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy needs some help with wiring #2

TSgt.Kuchta

OK, I'm going through the truck making sure everything is good before I drive it over to the paint shop.

Some vehicle HISTORY, 1985 M1009, 39,700 miles on the odometer. I installed a new ST85 starter relay, all new belts and two (2) brand new Interstate Type 31 batteries (as well as two (2) Wilson brand starters-----------so far).

All of this effort is due to the fact that I am getting ready to replace my 3rd starter in as many weeks (yes, I have burned up the 1st starter due the the ST85 starter relay failure, second starter only made it ithrough eight starting cycles, the third starter only cranked twice and stopped).
BTW, starters #2 and #3 are Wilson brand.

But I digress, my real question is about the cut wire I found AFTER my very 1st post here on SS.
It seems that the Army cut the voltage supply feed from the booster resistors to the glow-plug solenoid! (I checked the wiring schematics and my truck is different than what the schematics show)
The glow-plug solenoid is now supplied voltage from a splice block located on the engine side firewall about 3" above and towards the center of the firewall.

Is this a valid modification? (The dealership I purchased the truck from said it is an Army MOD.)

Should I now just unhook and remove the booster resistors.
And does it change which glow-plugs I should be using?

One more thing, the glow-plug control board seems fine as the glow plug lamp illuminates as of should, I am checking all of this because the truck wouldn't start after I installed the 3rd starter.

Thanks again folks.

Steve from Northern Michigan

Last edited:

TSgt.Kuchta

Thanks Ralbelt.
Even referencing all of the Military TMs I have a problem.

"I don't know what I need to know until AFTER I needed to know it!"

Now I can focus on researching/solving my starter issues.

ralbelt

Do tne" doghead starter relay modification ". Once you get the starter issues corrected it would be a shame to burn up another starter due to a faulty relay, its a 30 minute $20.00 task the will save a starter.

{ its a sticky at the beginning of the cucv forum }

Below Warthog is right, as probably not a military mod as you lose the ability to slave start off another military vehicle. Warthog is the electrical guru, follow his directions.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, you don't need to start a new thread for each issue. Many important details will get lost between them. Plus it against the site rules. ;-)

Where did you install the ST85 relay? As the ST85 is for the GP system. It can be used for the starter but is kind of expensive for that job.

Have you done the Doghead Starter Relay conversion. It is a sticky at the top of the CUCV forum.

Before you go any furture. Stop, take some pictures and post them.

Don't believe the dealership that the MOD is military. Possible but not likely.

Wilson rebuilds are a hit and miss item. Some work and some don't. Have they been 12v or 24v starters?

How is you truck wired for batteries? 12v or 24v?

Let's fix the starter issue before we move on to the GP issue. One step at a time.

Last edited:

TSgt.Kuchta

Warthog, sorry, I read the rules but the issue with starting another thread is totally my fault!
I read the rules but failed to grasp the SOP concerning same issue/multiple posts.

BTW, I took the time this morning to read through all of the CUCV FAQ pages........Ug, I get it, that thread should be only ANSWERS, not questions........but again I digress.

Also, I miss-spoke on the starter relay issue (I have way too many parts boxes open and sitting on the workbench these days).
The starter relay that went bad which seemed to start all of this was an AC Delco 15591718 (right next to the interior diagnostic connector).

Anyway, I have replaced both the starter relay AND the glow-plug solenoid. I also spent the afternoon cleaning close to 25-30 power and ground connections by dissassembing them all and hitting them all with a little every cloth and.contact cleaner.

So, when I hooked up the new fully charged batteries I was hoping for more than what I got when I twisted the ignition key!
Lo-and-behold I got less than I did before I did all of this work )nothing happened, no relay or solenoid clicks, just silence.
I sat back and had a good laugh, I will figure this all, just not today!
What I did notice when I hit the key was besides all of the lamps that should normally illuminate the turn signal dash lamps lit up.
OK, this is a sign.
I know from three weeks ago the headland highbeam switch in the column is not working, so I purchased a new one last week, I will put a new this new part in tomorrow.

Also, I will carry out the doghead starter mod this week as well.

Thank you all for the welcomes and advice (I appreciate both).

As with any journey worth taking, I will continue to push forward.

I must admit, all these darn problems aside, I'm having a **** of a good time with this M1009!

I will keep us all updates as to my progress and findings as well as giving everyone a holler when I either get in over my head or bite off more than I can chew (proudly saying, I am an expert at both).

TSgt.Kuchta

TSgt.Kuchta

steelandcanvas and rickf, not sure where I read (or mis-read) the term "booster-resistor", anyway I have been doing a lot of power-reading as of late (most likely my mistake, sorry as technical terms are important for understanding and clarification).

After dinner I went out to switch the charger from batt #1 to batt #2 and was pleased to find out I only drained down the #1 battery.
That being said, that tells me there is an issue on the 12V system, and yes, I need to install that new multi-function switch in the steering column tomorrow as there is most likely something wrong in the initial ignition/column circuitry.

Last edited:

TSgt.Kuchta

Just an update as to my progress.

I am still cleaning ground and power connections.

I dropped the steering column to gain a little more access the the IP wiring harness while checking it over.

While under there I noticed the headlights dimmer switch, ignition switch, wiper switch as well as the turn signal switch all looked to be in pretty rough shape.

So I figured now would be a good time to replace them all.

I will install the doghead starter relay mod while I am waiting for the parts to come in.

I am holding off on installing the new starter until after I get the IP wireing issues solved.

I appreciate everyone's input and help.

Steve