• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy, "new" 1985 M1009

Chaski

But everything has to be removed from the chunk, right?

It is up to you.
At least with a 14 bolt it is easy to remove the entire pinion assembly. 6 bolts and you are good to go. Just make sure you clean the mating surface and use “right stuff” or RTV. Reuse the shims that came out. You can remove the bolts and with the parking brake set you can just turn the yoke in the “foreward” direction to eject the whole assembly without prying or beating on it. Look up the torque but I think the pinion assembly bolts are about 60 foot lbs.

You can also do it without removing the pinion assembly. Just measure the preload in inch pounds before you take it apart and aim for about 5 inch pounds more preload when you are done with the new yoke and seal. Think of it like measuring a dog on your bathroom scale. You weigh yourself first, then hold the dog and see what your combined weight is. What is important is the difference.

usabamaman

Welcome to this site. Have you considered changing the oil? I use Mobil One Turbo Diesel 5w-40 it cranks really well in the cold. Of course, cold here is only mid to upper teens and that is becoming more rare.

PeeWeeQ

Welcome to the site! Lots and lots of helpful people here...It's been absolute gold for me.

Just curious, what's the gear ratio in your truck? I swapped out the stock 3:08s for 3/4 ton axles out of a '90 Suburban with 3:73s (kind of wish I'd held out for a full-floater)..I ended up with a little better fuel economy and a little more snort for my efforts.

Again, welcome!

Last edited:

TrappHouse

Well, that was a waste of time and money... I need a new diff cover, the yoke I ordered just doesn't seem right, there was no preload on the yoke to begin with, gonna have to get a crush ring and shimms so I can rebuild the axle properly.

Oh well, learned a few things.20171118_113331.jpg20171118_120714.jpg20171118_120717.jpg20171118_122329.jpg20171118_113331.jpg20171118_120714.jpg20171118_120717.jpg20171118_122329.jpg

The new yoke wouldn't even fit the socket over the nut...

TrappHouse

It is tweaked probably from bottoming out. I hate using rtv... so I would rather get a new pan than have to use rtv anytime I take the cover off.

TrappHouse

CUCVRUS, is it for a gm 14 bolt? If so, then heck yeah!

Went for round 2 today... FAIL. Carquest gave me the wrong crush sleeve. there goes another 2 quarts of gear oil.. I worked on the starter today too. Part of where it mounts to the block is broken (on the block itself.) Does anyone know if this is the right starter for a 12v system? I put the washers and stuff back in that was shimming it. Starts like a champ now. This leads me to believe there is a serious issue. I guess we'll see. 20171122_123807.jpg20171122_143433.jpg20171122_143441.jpg

TrappHouse

Oh, and the yoke was the correct one. I installed it today and seems to fit fine. Had to lathe down a socket though. Not a big fan of doing that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks