• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy, new interest

AgeOfDarkness94

Hi guys another newcomer in town and he's lookin for military hardware. My name is Tyler and I'm a newly aquainted 4x4 enthusiast. My intrepid interest first stemed from working on cars and trucks in a fab transmision shop insouth west NC with my father. My dad and I were always dreaming up things to do and building gokarts and sand rails. Well, the day I turned 13, he unveiled something I had always wanted: a rusted out POS, dented and beat up 67 fastback mustang. Well, 3 years 1500 hrs and $20,000 later, "Elanore jr"was street and tire smoking worthy.
Then tragically in October of last year, my father a former Marine, suffered a heart attack and died at the age of 45. that same month, be made me promise that I would take care of my mother and to enjoy what liitle time we have on this Earth. my father had always talked about building a buggy from a surplus truck to comemorate the good ol days and pay tribute to his fallen comrades. Well, that's what I'm here for. Not to commemorate his friends, but all US troops who have given their lives for this country and to all those who make it home safely. My first build I promise will be a memorial like no other and it will be with my Fathers honor.

So anyway, thats the majority of my reason for being here as well as general sociality and information gathering

For those of you who've read this post to it's entirety you have my gratitude

Thank you for your time
-Tyler
RIP SgtMaj Scott F. Pettersen (ret)

AgeOfDarkness94

Thanks.
Yeah I'm pretty sure about using the m1009 k5 blazer version so I can add rear seats and Keep my cargo dry. And mostly away from prying eyes (I plan on painting the side windows on the back.)
based on my parameters, do you think my budget is realistic? I don't mind being cheaper as long as it works

AgeOfDarkness94

Tyler - welcome aboard - sounds like your father was an excellent teacher and you were a listening student.

be sure to post pics when you get your hands on one.
Thanks, I'm more than happy to be here zout.
Yeah he was a great father and teacher to me and I do my best to follow the fine example he set everyday of my life. Man I can't wait to get this build started now I'm all fired up! I think now I'll go get some ice cream and draw up a bunch'a wild ideas :mrgreen:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tyler,
The West Texas Detachment of the SS (see link below) welcomes you aboard :) Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway...:driver: As you seem to be already aware, there are abundant information, knowledge, experience, and resources here.

BEWARE of some of the old guys here - they'll razz your azz off if your skin is thin:!: Just keep in mind that it's all in fun and great friendship.

You background statement is well appreciated....
Our condolence to you and your family on your father's passing;
We SALUTE his (and his buddies') service - comrades in arms;
We applaud your desire to create a rolling memorial to all who have served; and
Support can be found here to help you navigate through the minefields of the MV Hobby.

We look forward to following the progress of your build. I recommend that you start a thread with a noteworthy and catchy title.... and please don't forget the battle-cry: nopics

And again....

W E L C O M E :mrgreen::jumpin::driver: