• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy posting

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello everyone! I'm eventually planning on buying a deuce since I sold my pickup (worn out) and I just can't see spending 40-50K for a new 1 ton. It will be a couple of years before I can afford to buy, but window shopping free right? Anyway, I have in mind some mods I'd like to do.
I'm a big fan of the deuce, I was a wheeled vehicle mechanic from '79 to '87 in the Ohio Guard. Got to do a lot of driving up in Grayling Mich., we used to just go up and down the trails just for the heck of it. I'm currently fiinishing up a tour in Iraq.
One of the things I'd like to do if I get a deuce is to lengthen the cab by about 6-8 inches to put in nicer seats, a little storage, and because I'm 6' 1" I need a little more room. I was thinking I'd move the bed back a little to accommodate this. Then I'd slice the cab of just back of the door and fab an addition on, maybe incorporating a roll bar in as well. I was also thinking of some way to add roll bars to the bed.
I should have also mentioned that I really want one of the "Whistler" diesels, can anyone tell me which engine that was it's been a long time since I've gotten to wrench on a deuce. (There's nothing more awesome than that sound!!) I'd like to get it turned up a bit too. I was thinking a bigger exhaust might help too, has anyone increased the exhaust size?
Super singles would be nice, but that would have to wait, gotta get the kids through college.
If you guys have any advice, feel free to share it, I'd surely appreciate it.

Regards, John S-B

Stan Leschert

Just lurk and wait. Go to the Reference part of this site, and download the manuals. Please make sure to pay attention to the general Military Vehicle Operator manual. this will keep you busy for a bit, but it will ease your future travells...road trips...Whatever!

Get one, learn it, know it, and then see what is in the future of your budget.
And then post some pictures!

dozer1

"If you guys have any advice, feel free to share it, I'd surely appreciate it."

I would start sandbagging some money. With deuces being relatively inexpensive, you could be into one before you know it. Then go into the mods slowely as you can afford it. I am 6' 2" and 245 lb. I need to get the mirrors up higher somehow. (not rocket science here) but otherwise fit pretty well. Maybe not ideal but by no means would i want to do any big mods to increase room.2cents

coolnick73

I should have also mentioned that I really want one of the "Whistler" diesels, can anyone tell me which engine that was it's been a long time since I've gotten to wrench on a deuce. (There's nothing more awesome than that sound!!)
I agree that a Whistler sounds quite cool (that's what I have).

Welcome to the site.