• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy questions on bows and covers for M923 14 foot cargo bed and IDing Model No.

Voyeurger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gents,
I have the M923 cargo/troop carrier and I want to get the stake, bow and cover kit, but first, I've noticed the kits for sale have the stakes bows and connecting hardware, but no side slats. I've also noticed, in the op manual, that the cover appears to seat on top of side slats (the bench seat back rests that seat on the dropsides). Anyone know if the side slats are needed for the stock cover framing to be installed?
Also, I understand that the M923 is under the M939 model umbrella. I do not believe mine is either an A1 or A2. Is there a plain M923 model? If mine were the M923 A1 is it stamped or written somewhere on the truck itself? I have determined it is not an A2. Does that mean it must be an A1? The op manual is very hazy on the subject.
Thanks very much,
Gary

therooster2001

Yes the slats are needed. Most of the kits have the fiberglass slats, and if they don't, there's some on the classifieds for cheap. I have take off slats, corners and steel bows that I haven't put up yet.

Edit: wondering if I missed your terminology after the post below.

ID: do you have a data plate in the cab by the passenger seat? The other is the engine installed. Big monster or smaller with turbo? There is a M923, which most refer to an an A0. We'll get you figured out.

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

Engine, tires, and CTIS option would help to determine which version you have.

The side slats are called troop seats. The uprights (staves) slide into the troop seats. It's possible to not have the troop seats installed but it wouldn't be very strong. Here's a pic of the seats in use.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
A0 - 11.00 tires and duals on the rear and NHC250
A1 - Super Singles and NHC250
A2 - Super Singles, CTIS, 8.3L

Any A0 can be an A1 and vise versa. There is no AO model but its just easier to classify it that way rather than just saying 923.

tobyS

If you have super single tires and the Cummins 250 engine, it is an A1. If you have the 11.00 duals, it's an A0 which is usually dropped or just M923, probably 83 or 84 years.

The troop seat uprights are needed to put top bow supports into, like rooster says. They will be very lose without them and obviously not as high. You might get by without the actual seats, just the support poles that go into the pockets.

OOps, simp beat me to it!

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any A0 can be an A1 and vise versa.

Simp, am I reading this right? It looks as if you're saying the AO and A1 is the same? Just thought this might confuse the OP as it did me...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Any A0 can be an A1 and vise versa.

Simp, am I reading this right? It looks as if you're saying the AO and A1 is the same? Just thought this might confuse the OP as it did me...
An A0 can be made an A1 and an A1 can be made an A0. It is just the tires. both of my trucks were A0s with 11.00s when I bought them. I switched them for 14.00s so now they are A1s.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK thanks now I understand what you were saying. The rest of your explanation Was perfect to me!

M925A2 with dump hoist

tobyS

One can make the change to super singles, but that would not change the model number. Yes, they are the same (except tires and rims), but the model number reflects what it was called by the OEM.

Voyeurger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK,
I've got tandem duals (or dual tandems) on the rear. I'm just the base M923. Although someone thought it was pretty impressive when it was made. The dash plate calls it an M923 WOW!
Ford, thanks as always. See attachment. It almost makes everything clear.
What I referred to as side slats are actually "side racks".
View attachment 639889
TobyS, much thanks to you also. If I read you correctly, the sides need to be in because their uprights have an ID to snug the OD of the staves for the cross-bows. No sides = too much room when cross-bow staves drop directly into dropside holes.
Alright gents, Thanks a bunch. Glad I asked. It'd be a sorry looking bed cover if only a couple feet off the deck. I must seek out the side racks, then the tarp kit. I'll start with Forum Classifieds. The kits I've found on EBay did not include sides. Hopefully the seats are not critical to the whole support structure. Don't need/want the seats yet.
Cheers,
Gary

tobyS

"Impressive"...LOL

WOW = with-out winch

Think of them as side racks, not seats. Check with 98G, he's in your area and does a lot of horse trading.

therooster2001

"Impressive"...LOL

WOW = with-out winch

Think of them as side racks, not seats. Check with 98G, he's in your area and does a lot of horse trading.
I also have my old troop seats gathering dust in the garage. They are mostly wood, but someone fixed them with some fiberglass. I was planning on redoing them in oil and varnish so I have a "classy" version. Let me know if you want to check it out. 98G is actually out in KS now, but he's coming (maybe already went) to Colorado and could do some hauling for you. I am also about to go to KS to check out some newer ones, but can not haul them back, I'll report on them, but it's close to 98G I think.

Voyeurger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I knew I'd find out what wow signified if I said that. Good deal on the side rack possibilities. I'd definitely like to check them out. I'll PM 98G. My boy's Army, stationed in Colorado Springs. I 'll travel if it will do any good. Let's see what 98G has to say. I'm assuming he's from Arizona and might be coming back here eventually.
Sahweet and thank you.
Gary