• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy with a 5 ton looking for some trailering insight

Burritoboi5

Hey gents, just wanted to say hello, I've been lurking around for the past week or so and between the TMs and user generated parts lists there is a wealth of knowledge and information on this forum.

I picked up my first 5 ton this past week, a 1991 BMY M923A2 from a gentleman in NY who was getting harassed by the town to get it off of his property so I think I got it for a pretty smoking good deal. The truck had been sitting for 4-6 months and didn't want to fire when I got there. So I came back with some fuel filters and proper tools and after bleeding her she lit right off. Hasn't lost prime yet since I've brought her home two days ago but checking all the fuel lines is high up on my list.

The rear driveshaft was in the cab of the truck and the zerks were broken off of the Ujoints, all the hardware was present and in an envelope from a tow company so I'm guessing it was flat towed at one point, that's all I can figure.

The truck has Aug, 2011 on all filters and rubber as well as Aug 2012 on the steering box so once I go through all the fluids/filters and check the airlines and brakes I'll take her for a road trial, so far I've only driven it around the yard. Working on insurance and registration today and hoping to get it plated by Tuesday.

This isn't my first MV, I have a 67 M-715 that I did a 4BT swap in, and it's not my first heavy truck but it is my first combination of both. I'm a strong follower of the cummins tribe so the engine is all familiar to me.

What isn't too familiar is the military airbrake and wiring setup. I was hoping to set the truck up to pull my buddies eager beaver pictured here that brought the truck home. But he uses it on a regular basis so I can't make modifications to the trailer as some have. As such I will probably fab a big ole drop pintle from the truck (fab should be the easy part). Then air I can figure out. What I am unsure of is the trailer lights/ABS setup since his trailer is newer and has ABS that clearly says it needs 12V. I am hoping I can just rewire some of the truck side harness to bypass the ABS on the trailer. All the lights are LEDS so they're already rated for 24volts. Just was curious if anyone has any insight on this, maybe I'm missing an obvious solution.

Oh and I have my class A and am aware of the towable weight ratings on the truck.

In any case I apologize for the long winded first post and really just wanted to stop in and say hello!

IMG_4004.jpgIMG_4008.jpgIMG_4009.jpgIMG_4010.jpgIMG_4011.jpgIMG_4012.jpg

dilligaf13

I'm looking to do the same thing, with my M932 tractor. My trailer is a little older so it doesn't have ABS. My plan was to run 12V, via a 24V to 12V stepdown, to an in cab brake controller. From there power would run from the brake controller to the trailer brakes. I'm not sure if the newer brake controllers will run ABS brakes but my guess is yes.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?141097-trailer-brake-controller

Burritoboi5

Thank ya gents! The trailer is actually an air brake trailer so I really just need to be sure I don't fry his ABS controller if it shares a common ground with the lights.

Went over to the shop today and topped off the batteries and put a few chargers on them. But the truck did lose prime over the past 12 hours. I'll start with soft lines and all the copper washers for the bleeders and go from there, love the thing though, drove it around the yard a little and she's fun! I got two insurance quotes so far just trying to get something underwritten today.

Burritoboi5

Ahhh thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for, I will crawl under the trailer this weekend and see what it has for an ABS setup and start making some calls on Monday.