• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy With M151 A1s

imaokie2000

I'm just about caught up now. I will post more pics as I make progress. Please ask any question and make recommendations as you want. As I said, I have never done any body work, so I am learning as I go. Suggestions will be appreciated!

..............JR

imaokie2000

I spent the last couple of days repairing the transmission mounts on MUTT #1.The originals had been removed with a torch. I took the mounts from MUTT #3, the Donor, but they were so far gone, I could only use the top caps. Time to bend & weld.........

Jeep 1 Tranny Mounts (1).jpgJeep 1 Tranny Mounts (2).jpgJeep 1 Tranny Mounts (3).jpg

I built new mounts, using the original bottom flanges from MUTT #1 & caps from MUTT #3 and welded them out in a vise. I forgot to take a pic of the finished mounts.
Jeep 1 Tranny Mounts (4).jpg

Anyway, I fit them onto the cross-member and welded them out only to find the cross-member was bent and the mounts were misaligned. Time to Heat & Beat!

Jeep 1 Tranny Mounts (7).jpgJeep 1 Tranny Mounts (6).jpgJeep 1 Tranny Mounts (5).jpg

The finished Tranny Mounts are nice and straight!
Jeep 1 Tranny Mounts (8).jpg

imaokie2000

The original motor mounts on MUTT #1 was also cut with a torch. I spent this evening removing them. The mounts on the Donor MUTT is too far gone to use. One of these mounts is basically still there, just cut to ****. I will piece it back together and use it as a pattern to build another.

Jeep 1 Motor Mounts (5).jpgJeep 1 Motor Mounts (4).jpgJeep 1 Motor Mounts (2).jpgJeep 1 Motor Mounts (6).jpgJeep 1 Motor Mounts (3).jpgJeep 1 Motor Mounts (1).jpg

hotdogs151a2

Mr. imaokie2000
For a Boilermaker who has never done body work, you do good metal work Sir.
Enjoy your retirement and your restorations.
I Sir, will enjoy your tread.
Thanks, Pvt. Hotdog

imaokie2000

My Nephew and I are restoring the jeeps together. He and I drove to Kentucky last weekend and picked up a 4th jeep. By looking at the pics we received from the Seller, we had thought is was in better condition as far as rust. It's bad too. It was also X-Cut when demilled. Someone welded it back together before the Seller received it. It's bad and will have to be cut apart. Out of all 4 jeeps, we have 4 seized up engines, 4 transmitions that had water in them for the last 30 years and now are trash. We need two fuel tanks, two wind shields and lots of other stuff. One step at a time............

We were going to use one jeep as a donor jeep, but the same rot exist on all 4 jeeps. We will now restore all 4 or restore 2 and build a homemade XM-408 with the other 2. Either direct we go, I think the guys at Cameron Mfg and I are going to become real good friends.

More pics next week after the sandblasting!

Mutt #4.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks